Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Captiv8

Dark Souls is free for the first half of June, if you have a Gold Membership with XBL. I probably still won't play it, as I don't want that kind of frustation ruining my day over and over again.

In other news, I'm loving the hell out of Just Cause 2. In my very humble opinion, it's way better than GTA (IV, anyway). Enormous sandbox to play in, and while the various missions are pretty repetitive and there is no story to speak of, the sheer enormity of it makes exploring very fun. And the fact that I'm skydiving or parachute-launching half the time gives it another dimension. I will say that some of the achievements are going to require a serious grind, but that's rarely stopped me. I'm moving on up.
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:32 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

dark souls is caps favorite game ever created and he will never know it
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:32 am
mizterie

Neuro wrote:

lol i personally don't understand why people love dark souls so much. i tried playing demons souls and it seemed so boring to me. i was never a fan of elder scrolls either. there are even very few MMOs that i've really enjoyed. i get bored of them all so quick.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:30 pm
Mark in Minnesota

The first Dark Souls is the best gothic horror RPG I've seen, especially in the modern era. But I hate the mandatory multiplayer elements, and I hate that the game's difficulty is designed around the assumption that you will engage in multiplay throughout. I get this tremendous sense of gravity as I explore that game, and every time another human being touches my game in any way, from the orange blobby hint messages to invasions to summon signs, my immersion was sabotaged.

Now I'm at a point late in the game where I can't find people to join my world, can't easily get summoned into other worlds, but am still routinely invaded and savaged by PvP I want no part of.

The difficulty is what it is, and I could take or leave it. But it makes me crazy that I won't get to see the art, see how the story ends, see the world's secrets--only because I arrived at the game so late in its run that the multiplay is not geared toward the kind of casual exploration I hoped to do.

So I'm done. Beautiful game design that just isn't For Me.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:11 pm
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas already hold those positions. No other games have ever come close, to be honest.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Flossin

So who's playing WATCH DOGS? Bought it yesterday, been playing it a lot.a Really into it so far.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:33 pm
Captiv8

Flossin wrote:
So who's playing WATCH DOGS? Bought it yesterday, been playing it a lot.a Really into it so far.

I've heard mixed reviews. Give us the details.
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:28 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

honestly, watch dogs looks like boredom , in my opinion

that and i know ill just want to put gta5 in instead
Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:10 pm
Juan
girls don juan anything to do with me

I watched a friend play about 15 minutes of Watch Dogs on Xbox One. Graphics were very pretty, reminded me a lot of GTA, just with better graphics. Didn't see any of the story, just roaming around.

Can't really comment much further, but if you like GTA then idk why you wouldn't like Watch Dogs. My friend claims it might be the best game he's ever played. Def ready to judge for myself though.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:34 am
Flossin

Neuro wrote:
honestly, watch dogs looks like boredom , in my opinion

that and i know ill just want to put gta5 in instead

Having played both (though I finished GTA V and still have plenty to do in Watch Dogs - I'm taking my time...), I doubt you'd wanna do that.

From what I saw of the plot so far in Watch Dogs, it's good stuff. There are some pretty entertaining characters, the missions are varied, and the action is much better than in GTA 5. I liked the plot in GTA 5, but once I finished the storyline, the game got old real quick, so I'll just skip comparing the storylines (especially since it's apples and oranges), and talk about the open world and stuff you can do.

In GTA 5, the world was really pretty big, but when you were not doing missions you'd find out that the open world is pretty dead. Chicago in Watch Dogs is pretty huge, too, but it feels much more like a world that's alive. Other than the missions, there's tons of stuff to do (from dumb little things like parkour races, convoy missions to some very weird stuff and tons of crimes in progress that you can intervene with), so it's very hard to get bored.

I don't know about you, but in GTA V, when I wasn't doing any missions or any of the very limited number of side quests, I'd get a good weapon, shoot at some people and cars, wait for the cops, shoot a few of them and get a good chase going. In Watch Dogs, when you're not on a mission, you can hit up a gang headquarters. You can either go guns blazing (there's the, now pretty much standard, "slowing time" available, if you dig that), or you can do a very stealth approach. If you do the stealth approach, and hack every electronic thing available (from garage doors, to cars auto alarms, to explosives gangsters carry, to their phones, radios to freak them out etc), and the game starts looking a little like the stealth portions of Arkham City. When you take down the leader and kill as many gangsters as you can, it's time to get out of there, chased by dudes in cars, helicopters, what have you.

And THIS is the part where Watch Dogs really dominates GTA V. The chases. For one thing, I'm not sure why, but driving in Watch Dogs seems somehow much more dynamic to me than it did in GTA V. And the things you can do in a chase are great. Once you do a few good tricks, like popping the road blocks right after you pass them, so the gangsters/cops cars crash into them,you really get into how awesome this game is. You can control the city in a way that really makes the chases far more spectacular than in GTA V. Being chased by a few cars and a helicopter and heading onto a bridge? Raise that fucker at the last moment, so you make the jump and the gangsters stay on the other side of the river. Disrupt the helicopter's computers so it goes all wonky for a limited amount of time. Blow up a steam valve right as the pursue reaches it. Turn your engine off and hide in the car once you're in a safe distance, confuse the pursuers and change a vehicle. The chases are exciting as hell, and you get to use so many things to level the playing field. If you know your way around the city, you're gonna be killing it.

Seriously, there's shitloads of fun to be had, and I never caught myself thinking "Man, I miss GTA V. It did X so much better than Watch Dogs"...

Another thing, which at least I think matters, is that in the latest GTA games, the characters are so defined, that just going on a crime spree often feels stupid and out of character. It's just there to kill time, really. In Watch Dogs you're supposed to be a "vigilante" and there's a ton of vigilante stuff to do, to raise your reputation and activate new skills. Hacking into people's phones can alert you to crimes or events that you can act on, and it feels (at least to me) like a much more interesting passtime than going crazy on some civilians and cops.

I like both games, and they are very different, but I wouldn't say GTA 5 is the prefferable sandbox type game. Don't knock it till you try it!
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:59 am
Flossin

Captiv8 wrote:
Neuro wrote:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas already hold those positions. No other games have ever come close, to be honest.

These are my favorite console games, too, and I still replay Fallout 1 & 2 on the PC every couple of years. Can't wait for F4...
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Flossin wrote:

I like both games, and they are very different, but I wouldn't say GTA 5 is the prefferable sandbox type game. Don't knock it till you try it!

ill def keep an open mind about it, im cool like that, with what you typed it does seem pretty cool i guess, im still going to wait this one out though
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:50 am
Flossin

Neuro wrote:

ill def keep an open mind about it, im cool like that, with what you typed it does seem pretty cool i guess, im still going to wait this one out though

Hopefully I won't suddenly become bored with it in the next few days and change my opinion 180 degrees, but so far it doesn't seem a likely scenario.

One thing that GTA V has over it imo are the graphics, though. I think GTA looks a little bit better. At least from my experience, playing both games on PS3. But it's not a really big difference, and the gameplay more than makes up for it.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:06 am
Disharmony

Mario Kart 8 is good fun...beat all the races in about 5 hours. Did about 20 mins of online. I think I'll prob sell it to gamestop in the next week or so. I can't see hanging onto a game like this due to the fact I don't have friend gatherings anymore. Ah, being a silly grown up.
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:21 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

but, isnt it the best game out for wii u right now?

dont do that man you will regret it

just take a break from it
Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 348, 349, 350 ... 352, 353, 354  Next