Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Bicycle

Fucking Dark Souls

Says ive put 22 hours into this motherfucker. Im at the catacombs knocking skeletons off ledges. Have been for a week now. People weren't lying about the difficulty
Post Thu May 24, 2012 12:17 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/diablo-3-becomes-fasting-selling-pc-game-in-history/2012/05/23/gJQARSOvkU_story.html

SFR you sleepin on this one bad.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 1:58 pm
xGasPricesx

jakethesnake wrote:
Sorry, time occupied with Diablo 3.

Caligula#1620 is my battletag if anyone wants to smash hellions with me.

I will probably take you up on that in just a couple days. I will be house/dog sitting for some family friends and their youngest has a pretty badass gaming pc with Diablo 3 loaded and ready to go. Words cannot express my excitement.

Also, how are me and you the only ones talking about this game here? This is one of the biggest gaming releases in awhile and yet nobody else here has even mentioned it. I find that strange.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

im sure diablo is great for yall, especially for those that played the previous games, but i look at that game and a huge "meh" clouds my vision

in othernews

after all that rambling about buying shit , i just scooped up Bulletstorm finally

sheesh
Post Thu May 24, 2012 2:20 pm
Captiv8

I would play Diablo 3 if I had a PC. I love the series as a whole. And it's been a huge wait from Diablo 2. Dungeon looters really appeal to my gaming sensibilities.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 pm
jakethesnake

Neuro wrote:
im sure diablo is great for yall, especially for those that played the previous games, but i look at that game and a huge "meh" clouds my vision

in othernews

after all that rambling about buying shit , i just scooped up Bulletstorm finally

sheesh

I dunno, if crawling dungeons and crushing hordes of zombies and hell beasts while loot and gold fly from corpses and chests, with amazing cinematic and cutscenes, ain't your bag, then I guess it ain't your bag. Diff'rent strokes and all that. It's amazingly fun for me though.

And yeah Captiv8 I don't know why no one else here is playing D3, because I can't go anywhere else without my gaming friends ranting about it. Seems like everyone is into FPS or first person RPG games. Maybe it's the perspective?

I'm playing it on my wifes new XPS 15 with a 2gb Nvidia card, 8 gig of ram, 2.5ghz quad core i7. HDMI connected to the 32" tv. 40+ FPS. It's a beautiful thing.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 4:06 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

sheesh
Post Thu May 24, 2012 4:13 pm
jakethesnake

I challenge you to watch this trailer and not be interested at all:

Skip to 1 minute if you want to go straight to the good part.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 4:39 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

yeah yeah yeah but thats just the cutscene, the actual game looks like a snes title, not sayin thats baaaaad, just sayin

sheesh
Post Thu May 24, 2012 5:50 pm
xGasPricesx

The game isn't mediocre enough for neuro's tastes. Ha, sorry, I cant help myself sometimes. But seriously, man, I can almost guarantee that if you just tried it out sometime you would fall in love with a quickness. Watching short gameplay trailers doesn't even come close to doing the game justice, especially if you have never played the series before. Diablo really is a masterpiece on a lot of levels, very easy to get into it but extremely difficult to master. Plus it's one of the best co-op gaming experiences I've ever had.
Post Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm
Mark in Minnesota

38 Studios folded this week. Apparently a bunch of their funding was coming from some kind of economic development fund and the state of Rhode Island is going to be out tens of millions of dollars. How Curt Schilling got to borrow $75 million in taxpayer money from a state government to start up a MMO company is beyond me. Was the last governor on the take or something?
Post Thu May 24, 2012 6:18 pm
jakethesnake

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
38 Studios folded this week. Apparently a bunch of their funding was coming from some kind of economic development fund and the state of Rhode Island is going to be out tens of millions of dollars. How Curt Schilling got to borrow $75 million in taxpayer money from a state government to start up a MMO company is beyond me. Was the last governor on the take or something?

It was a big controversy at the time if I recall. MMORPGs aren't exactly safe investments, especially for a company with no established income or previous game releases.

The last governor was probably a Red Sox fan. ;)
Post Fri May 25, 2012 5:50 am
jakethesnake

I follow another forum where Curt Schilling posts (not much anymore, apparently his marketing team or management forced him to stop) as "Ngruk" or "Ngurk", I can't recall exactly. A lot of ex 38 studios employees too:

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/mmorpg-general-discussion/40053-38-studios-copernicus-mercury-other-stuff-922.html

Apparently they've gone 2-3 pay cycles already with no pay. The company literally ran out of money. I guess the story is that they had dedicated 30mil to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and then purchased Big Huge Games so they went over budget. They expected the sales to be high considering the names that were attached to the game. They would have needed 3m sales for KOA to make up the difference and to fund the rest of the MMORPG game that was the sequel, but only hit about 1.2M in sales.

There's some serious irony here (the game was code named Copernicus), and it would be funny if it wasn't at the expense of 400 people losing their jobs:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/copernicus-dies

I actually applied for a job at 38 Studios before they moved from Mass to RI. Kind of glad that I didn't get it now, to be honest...
Post Fri May 25, 2012 6:05 am
Captiv8

Ya, that's some shitty news for all of the employees. And that looks like really bad business as well. Why take such a huge gamble with nothing to fall back on and no other means of income? You're risking people's livelihoods. Also, does it really cost $30 million to produce a game? That's a phenomenal expenditure in my mind.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 am
jakethesnake

They were designing 2 games at once. KOA the single player rpg and koa2 or whatever the mmorpg. When the sales for game one were less than 50% of what they expected apparently they flat out ran out of lewt for #2. They paid those 400 people for 3 or 4 years and with no other income the company tanked fast.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 10:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 272, 273, 274 ... 354, 355, 356  Next