Search
Register
THE Video Game Discussion Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

mark have you been playin prototype 2? how is it?
Post Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am
squirtisblow

so once diablo3 is out i probably won't play another game for the rest of the year, and maybe next year too. i can't wait. it's like christmas as a young child.
Post Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm
Mark in Minnesota

After I quit Dead Island, I briefly started playing The Witcher 2. The tutorial was boring, the art, voice acting, and writing all seemed kind of poor, and at the end of it I got thrown into a combat sequence based on controls and principles that I did not yet fully understand. When I died, the game told me that it thought I should play on the "easy" setting without giving me an opportunity to replay the combat. I turned off the console without saving, and then spent the next week and change doing things other than playing video games. Partly I felt insulted by the experience, partly I felt like I was stuck in a bad console port, but mostly I just wasn't in the mood for another action RPG so soon after Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3. I'm sure the game is better than I'm giving it credit for, it just needs to make sure it brings me chocolate and roses on our next date.

I installed Prototype 2 to my hard drive last night and went to bed. I'll probably give it a try this weekend. I probably won't have time to revisit The Witcher 2 until sometime after Max Payne 3.
Post Thu May 10, 2012 2:47 pm
Mikal kHill

Isn't the witcher really heralded for incorporating a world from an ongoing fantasy fiction so seamlessly?

NEver played it, though.
Post Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 pm
Disharmony

I watched my roommate play it for a few hours. It was kind of boring. Nothing really stood out that said MUST PLAY THE WITCHER to me.
Post Thu May 10, 2012 5:51 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I haven't read/watched whatever the source fiction is, sadly: but when a good 30+ seconds of cutscene and background dialogue during the tutorial is dedicated to explaining why your character can't go inside the first few houses he walks past, it's a sign that the game is optimizing for the wrong thing.
Post Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 pm
Brynjar

Neuro wrote:
these DLC's need to hurry up already

Rage

Skyrim

Batman

c'mon already!

The Batman DLC looks kinda meh and mostly rehash. From what I saw on GTTV Batman will try to capture Harley but fail and he'll be her prisoner and you'll play as Robin for the second part of the DLC.
Post Sat May 12, 2012 2:35 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

yeah that kinda bugs me too, harley is pretty annoying in that game

and i dont give a shit about robin, i'd rather not play as him

but with that said, they have been on point with this game, so it cooould be dope, i dunno
Post Sat May 12, 2012 8:47 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=fallout_marathon20120509&tag=Topslot;MoreGamespotShows;VideoGameHistoryMonth
Post Sun May 13, 2012 4:33 pm
Disharmony

Neuro wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=fallout_marathon20120509&tag=Topslot;MoreGamespotShows;VideoGameHistoryMonth
Nice find. I haven't seen much on the old fallout games.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 5:36 pm
Prontoid

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
After I quit Dead Island, I briefly started playing The Witcher 2. The tutorial was boring, the art, voice acting, and writing all seemed kind of poor, and at the end of it I got thrown into a combat sequence based on controls and principles that I did not yet fully understand. When I died, the game told me that it thought I should play on the "easy" setting without giving me an opportunity to replay the combat. I turned off the console without saving, and then spent the next week and change doing things other than playing video games. Partly I felt insulted by the experience, partly I felt like I was stuck in a bad console port, but mostly I just wasn't in the mood for another action RPG so soon after Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3. I'm sure the game is better than I'm giving it credit for, it just needs to make sure it brings me chocolate and roses on our next date.

I installed Prototype 2 to my hard drive last night and went to bed. I'll probably give it a try this weekend. I probably won't have time to revisit The Witcher 2 until sometime after Max Payne 3.

I had the same experience, had no idea what I was doing after the tutorial then it told me to play on "easy".....i ended up just running through the game on easy, the combat wasn't engaging enough like Dark Souls for me to bother with it on any difficulty...I found the whole thing quite underwhelming given the hype around the game, far too many cut scenes as well, I just found it very Mass Effect in Fantasy setting..

Also its a pet hate of mine where a cut scene goes forever and they you're supposed to make some major decision based on what was just said without any way of going back to find out what has just happened, coz basically if a cut scene goes for longer than 10 seconds im definitely zoned right out of it....I have no idea what happens in the Witcher after finishing it, I know I sided with some elves at one point, and something else....same with Mass Effect 1 and 2, finished the games, couldn't tell you a thing about the story, which is why I find these games so frustrating coz for games that are supposed to be so story based they make it so easy to completely zone out of it...
Post Sun May 13, 2012 7:37 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Disharmony wrote:
Neuro wrote:
Nice find. I haven't seen much on the old fallout games.

i found it on youtube too so you can skip around or go back to where you left off if you wanted to watch the whole thing without sittin there for 6 hours
Post Sun May 13, 2012 8:22 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Prontoid wrote:
couldn't tell you a thing about the story, which is why I find these games so frustrating coz for games that are supposed to be so story based they make it so easy to completely zone out of it...

This is known more commonly as "not paying attention". It's not really the game's fault.
Post Sun May 13, 2012 10:39 pm
Prontoid

breakreep wrote:
Prontoid wrote:
couldn't tell you a thing about the story, which is why I find these games so frustrating coz for games that are supposed to be so story based they make it so easy to completely zone out of it...

This is known more commonly as "not paying attention". It's not really the game's fault.

That's the whole point, it should be captivating enough to make me pay attention..Fallout or Oblivion for example do a good job of immersing you into the story, Mass Effect and The Witcher do a crap job, cut scenes are used for meal and toilet breaks and are not effective mediums to get a story across in this day and age, I know I'm not the only one who zones out every time one starts or just habitually skips them...
Post Mon May 14, 2012 12:46 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Prontoid wrote:
That's the whole point, it should be captivating enough to make me pay attention ... I know I'm not the only one who zones out every time one starts or just habitually skips them...

If you zone out as soon as a cutscene starts, it never really had a chance to captivate you, did it?
Post Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 268, 269, 270 ... 359, 360, 361  Next