Register
Damn, that's a sucka...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Damn, that's a sucka...  Reply with quote  

Why, Mac? Why, why, why, why

https://np.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/2qc9h7/remember_that_rapper_that_made_the_song_for_the/cn4y4lw

https://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/2qcxiw/udr_lurk_md_reveals_that_hes_darryl_in_the_mac/

Apparently he doesn't know he's been called out yet since his last tweets were 9 hours ago as he was trying to drum up hate and scorn for this "stupid bitch":

https://twitter.com/MacLethal/status/547982922666344448

https://twitter.com/MacLethal/status/547982690792656896

Still vying for that D-list celebrity status by making really shitty moves in hopes of going viral at every turn. It has to feel completely draining and gross after a while. Maybe not though? If you're lucky, it'll just come back to bite you in the ass. If you're unlucky, people in general will start to turn on you and just maybe you'll get sued for your fabrications. BTW (side note), remember when those Black Clover "lifetime badges" were being sold before the whole label thing got abandoned? Wonder what happened with that.

Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:29 am
Mark in Minnesota

That song's kinda catchy.
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:40 am
SFR announcement

uhhhhh. Yeah.
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:41 am
xGasPricesx

Mark in Minnesota wrote:
That song's kinda catchy.

Well, it's a parody of a Taylor Swift song, so of course it's catchy. Everything that girl touches is catchy. Still doesn't change the fact that what Mac did is more than little fucked up.
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:36 pm
Mark in Minnesota

I'm failing to locate my outrage here. I guess he shouldn't have used the picture without permission? The one he's already taken down?
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:25 pm
xGasPricesx

I think it's more that he then lied about the whole thing, claiming that the girl filed a lawsuit against him (she didn't) and continuing to call her a whore when she did absolutely nothing. Mac has also pulled some sort of shady shit online in the past, playing fast and loose with the truth. It's just a dick move and pretty shady.
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:47 pm
Mark in Minnesota

1. Fictionalizing music didn't start here, nor did being ambiguous about the line between truth and fiction in music. Ice Cube never joined a drugs conspiracy in Missouri, Slug's dad never hung himself in a grain elevator, Sage Francis hadn't been born in 1968, and Eminem's fan mail neer precipitated a murder-suicide involving anyone named Stan. Not to mention the voicemails from supposed female fans people like Slug and Prof have included as interludes on their own music.
2. Mac didn't get all those texts from a cousin Bennett either.
3. The girl he is supposedly calling a whore (by mentioning Whore Island, a fictional location in the fictional TV series Archer) only exists in a work of fiction. He only harmed an actual person to the extent that by briefly using an actual picture of an actual person, he confused his fictional character with that real person in the eyes of his audience.
4. All of this would be worse--not better--if his song had used a real fan and that real fan's real ex-girlfriend.

Mac clearly expects his fans to be in on the joke, or at least to understand that the part of the piece that matters isn't the jokey part. YouTube culture is draining and gross, and a big part of what Mac has been doing with these videos has been about shining a light on that.

The result was listenable and fun to watch. It seems to me like suspending one's disbelief is a win-win outcome here. But then, I had no problem with MF Doom sending imposters to his live shows.

Last edited by Mark in Minnesota on Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:01 pm
xGasPricesx

For me a lot of it does hinge on the use of the picture, and that's where the line was crossed between fictional storytelling and potentially hurting real people, people that he does not know at all. The fact that he took it down doesn't matter so much, because an internet savvy person like Mac should know that taking down the picture once it's been put up won't make it go away, especially when he goes on to say that the reason he did take it down was because the girl filed a lawsuit. He should know that something like that would only fuel the fire at this point.

The difference between what he did here and all the other examples you gave is that those other characters in the songs you mentioned never had their faces plastered along with the songs, I wouldn't really have as much of a problem with this if there was never any picture involved, I would just think it was silly and vaguely sexist, but that's about it. Once he decided to use a picture of real people, people, that again, he didn't even know and certainly didn't have their permission to use their photos, he crossed over that line of fictional storytelling.

I think a lot of it comes down to how much you are willing to give Mac the benefit of the doubt. You said that you think he's doing these things to shine a light on the shittier elements of YouTube, and the internet at large. I honestly think he's just doing it to make a quick buck, and if he is doing what you say he's doing, he's not doing it very well.

Also, for what it's worth, "Whore Island" is not an invention of Archer. That phrase has been around for at least 15 years, and probably a lot longer. But yes, I am aware that it's a fictional place, thanks for reminding me though. Oh, and I also didn't really have a problem with the whole "Doomposter" thing either, but I think that's a totally different situation that doesn't really apply here.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:49 am
Mark in Minnesota

Google maybe says it's from Anchorman?

Next you'll be telling me that the fat guy who destroyed his Xbox wasn't actually angry about anything.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:41 am
sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

I don't know about you guys, but my dick is getting hard over the possibility that I might be able to get this motherfucker finally. I don't know all, if any of the facts, but if I can cast aspersions I will do so with bells on!!!!!!

Merry Christmas
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:18 am
SFR announcement

Nothing like drumming up a bunch of ignorance and hatred for some DUMB WHORE SLUT that people can all shame and threaten, and all for...youtube views? The whole thing has reeked of cheapness and desperation for quite a while now, but now there's a new touch of awful. Glad people are saying enough is enough. For now at least.

Oh, and the tweets about the filthy whore who tried suing him have been deleted. No explanation required. Just this:

"Every time a rapper goes near Taylor Swift, bad shit happens."

Totes, brah.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:48 am
Flossin

Haven't heard about Mac Lethal since the whole fast rap videos thing. What the hell happened to that guy...
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:39 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

I just don't understand his obsession with trying to become a "Youtube rapper". Shit's gonna be on his tombstone if he keeps this up.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:43 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

i get a chuckle out his youtubes every now and then but i sure do miss his focus on creative hip-hop and mixtapes and stuff like that
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:05 am
Marcus Forealius

I never watched the 'Raps Fast' shit which seemed pretty try-hard as it was. I always remember there being some of disdain for Mac back in the day as if maybe some people saw the shitflower he would inevitably blossom into.

I don't know if I can say I've got a full on hard-on, but maybe a semi.
Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:30 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next