Search
Register
PFA Winter Tour. It's ovaaaa (new pics posted)
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

ah man. That's such...a hoot.

But now that I think of it, if I had to place bets on whether you'd make it across the border or not I would have bet against you guys getting in. Mainly because of the protest arrests. I've been hearing how uptight they are at the border right now because of the Olympics.

Sorry, fellas. Suckiness.
Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:40 pm
Jared Paul

The thing is... i've been over twice since the protest arrests of 2003 and 2004. And this time I had even more official looking paper work! Still, 3 for 4 is good bettin' odds.

Next time! We'll be armed to the teeth.

Also, big shouts to Big Randolf McTools of Bastard Patriots for holdin' us down with temporary residence at his mountain top compound just outside Portland. A light in dark places for sure; hats off to ya sir.
Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
poisonfree

Did the sacramento show happen? I am driving around 2710 v street and I can not find the den, nor hear any music, even walked up and down the street.

The house that I thought was the venue seems dead,

Dunno
Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

poisonfree wrote:
Did the sacramento show happen? I am driving around 2710 v street and I can not find the den, nor hear any music, even walked up and down the street.

Dunno

When did you post this? The info says that the show is tonight. I'm confused by your post. The house or venue might seem dead because it's only noon and the show is at 9pm
Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Alan Hague

Hey, poisonfree -

The show's going on tonight. We appreciate your effort for scouring the neighborhood, looking for the house, ha.

Photobucket

Hope to see you there!
Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:11 pm
Jared Paul

poisonfree wrote:

Dunno

Oh man! Wrong day man. And it's definitely a basement show, so it'll just be the number on the house. This is gonna be one of the guaranteed rowdiest of tour... sorry if you missed it. Hit me up if need to: jaredpaul1@gmail.com (i'll give ya my cell there)
Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
poisonfree

Thanks for the headsup, dates aren't my strong suite because I work nights my schedule is batty.

I made it out in time to talk to jared for a bit and catch aquifer.

Jared get over the cold soon! Ill be sure to catch you guys next time, who know I never been to RI :)
Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:41 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jared Paul

Great to see ya man! The Sac show was great. Got to play to a packed punk collective crowd with this badass vegan hardcore band called No Gods, No Dairy. The sound system cut out on them but they kept the show going on some Minor Threat/Another State of Mind documentary shit. Hats off to them.

Surprisingly the final show (last night at UC Santa Cruz) ended up being one of the best of the whole run! The venue got booked late and we didn't have any local openers so it was anyone's guess as to how it would turn out. But it was a professional concert hall and an amazing sound system; the music was loud and clear and a whole bunch of people on campus heard what was going on. Groups of students kept coming in till the show space floor was full and all the bands played great. PFA has done 60+ shows since last January and this was easily one of the most emotional. Our van got rear-ended on this trip, we drove through serious snow 8 out of the first 12 days we were on the road, and rain/sleet/storm almost every other day. Came through violent 24hr flu's, got turned away at the Canadian border, had to sleep in a parking lot during a mountain storm in Pennsylvania, and got dissed on a high paying festival show that promised us a contract but then moved the date of the event to a time that would be impossible to route into our schedule. Out of all the national tours I've taken these last three weeks were easily the most difficult and we laid it all out there for the final show.

To tell the truth, I'm impressed that we made it.

Very impressed that the PFA team stuck together the way it did and fought through such crazy obstacles. And suped to watch our fam in the Aquifer crew do the same. Aquifer travels with 6 people in their band and 3 crew members; everybody pitched in to promote from the road, load in/load out, freak the merch/info booth, and Aquifer's set got better and better with every show. So exciting to watch them win crowds over with an intelligent, conceptual, and creative live band Hip Hop set.

And the Winter Break Down Tour ain't over yet; the weather looked bad in NV, UT, CO, NE on the way home... so we decided to hit rt 40 and drive home through a more southerly route. And what the fuck happened? WE HIT A ROAD CLOSING SNOW STORM IN ARIZONA. ARIZONA?!!?!?! I'm writing from a trashy motel room in some small mountain town called Globe between the mountain pass we just crossed (which the cops closed behind us) and the next that has already seen 3 jack knifed tractor trailers tonight and is currently closed to all vehicles that aren't 4 wheel drive or have chains.

I'm going to bed. Rock n' Roll.
Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 am
sarah q

Jared Paul wrote:
and the next that has already seen 3 jack knifed tractor trailers tonight and is currently closed to all vehicles that aren't 4 wheel drive or have chains.

That is terrifying. Please be safe.
Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:25 am
Nick Bianco

There are hundreds of photos from this tour. Here are some of the first ones that I've seen.

UC Santa Cruz

PFA killed it in Portland!

Alan after breaking his guitar strap.

Post Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:43 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

ahh ya Jared, Globe is a small ass mining town or used to be..
there really is nothing there at all..People pass thru there to get to the nicer places. You weren't that far from Superior where U-Turn was filmed
Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:39 pm
jehu

Nick Bianco wrote:
There are hundreds of photos from this tour. Here are some of the first ones that I've seen.

UC Santa Cruz

absolutely awesome photo. great shot.

Alan after breaking his guitar strap.

haha, classic.

Post Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

I lived in two different houses each about a block from where that Sacto house show was. Hope you hit up the co-op a couple blocks away while you were there.
Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:26 am
Jared Paul

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
ahh ya Jared, Globe is a small ass mining town or used to be..
there really is nothing there at all..People pass thru there to get to the nicer places. You weren't that far from Superior where U-Turn was filmed

Word? It had a feel to it. I'll give ya that. It was so beautiful seeing the high desert covered in snow the next day. How many people have seen that? Snow on cactus? Felt lucky. Strong medicine.

Sacramento was fly. Definitely one of our favorite spots. Didn't have time to hit the co-op but some Aquifer folks work at Trader Joe's. We ate amazingly well out that way.
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:47 am
Alan Hague

This tour, despite its difficulties, was such an undeniable blast!

Getting to open for Sole in Denver; kids packed in and screaming the words along to our set in Salt Lake City; hanging out with Randolf McTools at his Oregon mountaintop compound; being awestruck in the Book Nerd Heaven that is Powell's Books in Portland; Marco and I narrowly avoiding getting shot when Jimmy from Aquifer frantically threw his Roman candle to the ground when we jokingly told him that cops were coming; getting turned down at the Canadian border but still being able to laugh about it; Cousin Tom and I competing to see who could put up the most SFR stickers in public places around the country; finishing the tour with an amazing show in Santa Cruz, the funnest time I've had on stage to date.

And the clerk, a very friendly, kind woman, at the gas station in southern Arizona. When we told her we were called Prayers For Atheists, she responded with a laugh and said, "That's great! See, I'm a Christian, so I know exactly what you're all about!"

Special thanks to Aquifer for hooking us up with all the West Coast shows and for being awesome in general!

Can't wait to hit the road in June.
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next