Search
Register
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Results are in, p.4...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

AdamBomb wrote:
I don't understand how people don't think this is badass (cue in "Debbie Downer" womp sound). This is an old ass song from a group that, whether "deep" or not, has stood for anti-govt/anti-establishment. Through social networking, one dude (not a corporate entity), was able to inspire people to unseat the current pop hit with a song that came out in 1992. When I first heard about it, I was rooting for them, but thought nah...no way in hell they are pulling this off. Pretty incredible, really.

Think about what other things people could accomplish if they put their minds to it.

I think the whole thing just feels very mean spirited. It's basically a bunch of angry people trying to grinch out an x/mas tradition in my opinion.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:01 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

It's been explained in this thread as well as its going to be explained.

The radio interview with RATM summed it up nicely, which is that the "Christmas tradition" in question is essentially this: popular music consumers being spoon fed a very specific, kinda bland artist created by suits and a creatively-mediocre artist with hopes of blowing-up-over-night. Its sort of lame and sticky, at the end of the day, that THIS is the tradition. So much so that the guy can be expected to sell the numbers before the Christmas season has even started.

It IS badass to use social networks to destroy that (just for the fuck of it). Its not revolutionary, and nobody's saying it is.

Grinch enjoyed ruining the smiling faces of children, and RATM enjoys ruining the smiling faces of anyone who gives a shit about the #1 Christmas song. Maybe thats a solid analogy, but I think its anything but mean spirited.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:18 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

AdamBomb wrote:

Think about what other things people could accomplish if they put their minds to it.

More pointless bullshit?

I mean, this is alright and all but who gives a shit? This is exactly what people 'accomplish if they put their minds to it.' This and like, fucking stupid flashmobs, this is an empty act of rebellion that became popular precisely because the stakes are infinitesimal. And, yay, or whatever. But don't try to extrapolate this into something profound or indicative of some greater power of human ingenuity, organization, or willingness to flout authority. It's not.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 am
erich

doesnt this amount to giving sony or apple or whoever a bunch of money for a product you already own in order to get involved in a hierarchy that everyone agrees is lame?
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

what's wrong with flash mobs? i never knew anyone thought of it as an act of a rebellion, isn't it just a fun little bit of randomness?
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 am
Oh Daesu

I hate when people use this as an example of fighting the music that is 'spoonfed' to the masses. Doesn't that seem kind of patronizing to anyone else? People like what they like, and buy what they like (or download). So you don't like what they do, great, cool. But why suggest that they are any less conscious of their musical choice than you?

That being said, this whole thing was kind of funny, but we need to town down the pseudo-rockism anti-populist rhetoric a little.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:28 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

crash wrote:
what's wrong with flash mobs? i never knew anyone thought of it as an act of a rebellion, isn't it just a fun little bit of randomness?

Nothing wrong with flashmobs, except when people try to extrapolate them into something more than what they are.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

i have to agree with you on that one.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:56 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

crash wrote:
i have to agree with you on that one.

Yeah I guess "fucking stupid flashmobs" was a great overstatement of my feelings on flashmobs. They're cool for what they are.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:58 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

And now there's a silly online petition to try and urge SONY to donate a portion of their proceeds to the homeless shelter. heh.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

The long-term effect of this is to push RATM into the this-gen Stones/Aerosmith. I liked better music, even when I was 12.

(oops I picked the wrong track with those two. I meant the one that's like "what currently falls under the title rap rock in twenty years will be folklore for fat jocks." Alas.)

Check the chorus.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:21 pm
Billy No Mates

Jesse Custer wrote:

It was cool and all that, but to be fair a lot of people didn't find out about it from the internet, they found out from the news reports on TV and in newspapers. Sure the ball got rolling on facebook, but to say it's an example of how this can all happen without big media ain't strictly true..

While I agree that a lot of people heard about this from the media, it was at least 500,000 strong before it became newsworthy. I heard about it on FB and offline from friends, people at work etc etc before it reached the media. Think about it, does a facebook group with a few thousand people make the headlines? Fuck no. It only reached the front pages etc when it became strong enough to actually make a difference on the outcome of the charts. Sure, it doubled it size after that but it already had a considerable following before.

As a sidenote, everyone is throwing mud at RATM, Sony and iTunes for being behind some kind of rediculous conspiracy to make money, yet nobody mentions the fact that facebook may have done pretty well out of this too. Heh.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AdamBomb

icarus502 wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:

More pointless bullshit?

I mean, this is alright and all but who gives a shit? This is exactly what people 'accomplish if they put their minds to it.' This and like, fucking stupid flashmobs, this is an empty act of rebellion that became popular precisely because the stakes are infinitesimal. And, yay, or whatever. But don't try to extrapolate this into something profound or indicative of some greater power of human ingenuity, organization, or willingness to flout authority. It's not.

Oh well. Thanks for nothing, Scrooge. This was useless in the big scheme of things, but organization of this magnetude was not as possible say 10 years ago (what, AOL IM?). Any group can be aligned for a cause in an extremely short amount of time. Just because this time it had to do with music (or a group you especially hate) you don't have to go number 2 all over it. I can't help but think if it was Fugazi instead of RATM you'd be busting a nut.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm
mancabbage

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/21/charlie-brooker-rage-against-the-machine sums up everything nicely i think
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:25 pm
Asterax

It's definitely time to lock this thread.

Move to Hall of Fame or Hall of Lame? :)
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next