Search
Register
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Results are in, p.4...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

jstile

crash wrote:
this is not a revolution against corporate music, it's a prank, plain and simple. some of you need to get a sense of humor.

Thank you. For god's sake some of you need to remove yourself from your own arses. It is a giggle, revel in it. REVEL I SAY!
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 pm
laurapalmer

breakfast wrote:
So, just so we're clear, we're going to prove to the music industry oligarchs that we will buy/download whatever we want during Christmas by downloading a song from another band on a major label (who are now actively promoting this activity) with the words "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me" in it, because someone on the internet told other people it would be a good idea?
Wait.
What?

Exactly.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:59 pm
breakfast

crash wrote:
this is not a revolution against corporate music, it's a prank, plain and simple. some of you need to get a sense of humor.

But this is not a good prank. Bad pranks don't deserve laughter because it will only encourage them.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:19 pm
Jesse Custer

Quote:

So, just so we're clear, we're going to prove to the music industry oligarchs that we will buy/download whatever we want during Christmas by downloading a song from another band on a major label (who are now actively promoting this activity) with the words "Fuck you I won't do what you tell me" in it, because someone on the internet told other people it would be a good idea?
Wait.
What?

It's not ironic, you're not the first person to think of this amazing point, and you're not even half as clever for saying it as you think you are.

But if anyone really wants to 'stick it to the man' amazon are selling the single at a loss so they lose 11p per copy sold. So voila; you can stick it to some kind of man somewhere.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:08 am
See Arrrgh

I don't really see why people are getting fussy about this. It's funny in a simple way. It's doing something to break the line of bullshit that people in England believe has been given to them as Christmas #1's. This isn't a revolt pointed at trying to topple the music industry's oligarchy. Think about it like high school. Prom king and queen are positions that get the same stereotypical people voted into them. It's just recycled bullshit rewrapped for another year. Find humor in the fact that someone (Simon Cowell) who seems to produce this repackaged bullshit year after year for Christmas is going to potentially be dethroned (if only for 2009) because a bunch of people got together and said "Fuck that."

There's nothing more to read into this.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:40 am
breakfast

Jesse Custer wrote:

It's not ironic, you're not the first person to think of this amazing point, and you're not even half as clever for saying it as you think you are.

If I'm not the first person to think of it (and I really highly doubt I am), then it's proof of just how pointless an exercise this is.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 pm
jstile

breakfast wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

If I'm not the first person to think of it (and I really highly doubt I am), then it's proof of just how pointless an exercise this is.

Are you fucking kidding me? It's music charts. It's intrinsically pointless. Nobody buying the RATM single thinks for one second it's going to set a precedent of getting whatever kind of music to replace another. It's a bit of fun. You Yanks are buzzkill central. Fuck me.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:24 pm
mancabbage

Seriously breakfast, why be such a killjoy. its a laugh, thats it.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 pm
Asterax

Regardless of how you feel, one way or another, UK fans will get a free Rage show. I am kinda jealous:

http://twitter.com/tmorello

NEWS FLASH: RAGE ANNOUNCE THEY WILL PLAY MASSIVE FREE VICTORY GIG IN UK IF "KILLING IN THE NAME" IS NUMBER ONE XMAS SINGLE!!! Let's go!!!!
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:08 pm
mancabbage

^ oh shit, i hope its brixton and not a warehouse like the 02. I am going to that if it comes off, yes please... fuck it... im gonna buy another copy
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 pm
Asterax

RATM may not win, but this is pretty ingenious:

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:38 am
jstile

Fuck yeh!!!

Quote:

Rage Against the Machine beat X Factor winner in charts

Rock band Rage Against The Machine has won the most competitive battle in years for the Christmas number one.
The band's single, Killing In The Name, sold 500,000 downloads beating X Factor winner Joe McElderry's The Climb by 50,000 copies to clinch the top spot.
Their success followed a Facebook campaign designed to prevent another X Factor number one.
One retailer said it was a "truly remarkable outcome - possibly the greatest chart upset ever".
McElderry, 18, praised the campaign, adding: "It's been exciting to be part of a much-hyped battle and they definitely deserve congratulations."
Thanking all the fans who bought his single, he said: "This time last year I never thought for one minute that I'd win The X Factor, never mind about having a debut single out, so I'm just delighted to be in the charts.
"It's been such an incredible couple of months and I got the best Christmas gift I could ever have asked for in winning The X Factor."
Despite earlier in the week calling the campaign "stupid", X Factor judge Simon Cowell offered his congratulations to the couple behind it, Jon and Tracy Morter.
He said: "I am gutted for Joe because a number one single meant a lot to him but I have to congratulate Jon and Tracy, who started the Facebook campaign.
"I called Jon on Saturday to congratulate the two of them that, win or lose, they turned this into a very exciting race for the Christmas number one.
"I am proud of Joe - he worked really hard this week, but he has a great year ahead of him."
The Los Angeles rock band's hit also set two records: it is the first single to reach the top of the charts on download sales alone and has achieved the biggest download sales total in a first week ever in the UK charts.
McElderry's song was only released digitally after his victory in the X Factor, giving it less time to rack up sales than Rage Against The Machine.
On Friday the band's lead was just 9,000 copies, but sales then soared by 200,000 to secure victory.
Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot said: "Congratulations to Rage Against The Machine on their number one - as we have seen in recent years, overhauling any X Factor winner in the race for the Christmas number one is no mean achievement.
"The popular support we have seen for the record this week has been truly amazing - and handed them two all-time records."
He added the bad weather may have prevented McElderry fans getting to the shops to buy his CD, which was released on Wednesday.
Rage Against The Machine are signed to Epic Records, which is part of Sony BMG, the same label as McElderry.
'Greatest chart upset ever'
The past four Christmas number ones have all been by X Factor winners; Alexandra Burke's version of Hallelujah last year was one of the biggest selling festive singles ever.
Guitarist Tom Morello said it had "tapped into the silent majority of the people in the UK who are tired of being spoon-fed one schmaltzy ballad after another".
He added that all proceeds from the single would go to homeless charity Shelter.
Gennaro Castaldo, from high street retailer HMV, said it was a "truly remarkable outcome - possibly the greatest chart upset ever".
"Everyone thought the momentum was with Joe going into the weekend, but, clearly, off the radar a whole load of people were downloading the Rage track right up to the last minute as they sensed they might pull off a shock.
"It's not so much that Joe lost the race - sales of his single have matched those of recent X Factor winners, and he shouldn't take this personally; this is all about the stunning impact of the Rage Against The Machine internet campaign in galvanising music fans to protest against the dominance of the reality show in recent years."
The expletive-laden song is a "powerful protest", he said, adding: "Rage Against The Machine may not be the ideal expression of the Christmas spirit - and many people will have preferred a more appropriate song to top the festive charts, but their anti-corporate message proved a perfect vehicle through which to register such a powerful protest."
The last big Christmas battle on a similar scale was between the Spice Girls' Goodbye and South Park character Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls in 1998. The Spice Girls won with 380,000 to their rival's 375,000.
Despite losing out on the single top spot, Cowell kept a hold on the album chart, with Susan Boyle's I Dreamed A Dream remaining at number one for a fourth week.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:11 pm
mancabbage

fuckin quality, if its gona be a biggun i hope they play hyde park or somewhere like that in the summer rather than the 02. i saw james brown and the chili peppers there years back and it was awesome. they could fill it (especially if its free) no doubt. Now, bastards.. go record a new album already
Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:37 pm
Mikal kHill

mancabbage wrote:

fuckin quality, if its gona be a biggun i hope they play hyde park or somewhere like that in the summer rather than the 02. i saw james brown and the chili peppers there years back and it was awesome. they could fill it (especially if its free) no doubt. Now, bastards.. go record a new album already

I'd rather get a new Street Sweeper record, honestly. Or an album with Boots & Zach on it would be nice.

-kHill
Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:58 pm
xGREENxCLOVERx

They gave BBC radio a little surprise during a live broadcast (around 8:30)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiQPqmYE1A
Post Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next