Search
Register
Fuck you I won't do what you tell me! Results are in, p.4...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

badjerk

so confused...

Why are the brits tryin da take der jerrrrbzzzz
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 pm
mancabbage

jstile wrote:
We're not allowed to say "soccer" in England unless it's in inverted commas. Otherwise Ian Wright comes to your house and bashes your head in with a brick. Also if you insult Shaun Wright-Phillips. Or the other one.

he's not joking, he'll bring them two blondes from his personal army on ch5 along too
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:23 pm
AdamBomb

I love this song (learned the whole thing on guitar back in the day), but I always got confused on the lyrics.

"Ya justified those who died, for (wearin?) the badge and ya (jolted?) white"
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 pm
SlickWillyP
HILL GIANT

Captiv8 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JRyhJiXQ8

this is exactly what i thought of when i heard this story.

jstile wrote:
We're not allowed to say "soccer" in England unless it's in inverted commas. Otherwise Ian Wright comes to your house and bashes your head in with a brick. Also if you insult Shaun Wright-Phillips. Or the other one.

i just read about him the other day. so he's SWP's adopted dad......did ian wright really adopt SWP when he was only 18??

i mean, adoption is great and all....but 18?
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:37 pm
breakfast

Why does this have to be such a stupid song?
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 pm
Captiv8

breakfast wrote:
Why does this have to be such a stupid song?

I would definitely be funnier and more poignant if it was the Dead Kennedys' "Kill the Poor."
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:14 am
Jesse Custer

Who cares? If everyone sat about nitpicking over which song it should be nothing would get done.

And if this song gets the #1 spot then maybe they could have a guest appearance by Bruno Brookes to do the chart show*...

* For the benefit of Basilik and others - Bruno accidentally played the uncensored version of this RATM song on BBC Radio 1 when it was in the Top 40 when it first came out. Needless to say they got in shit for it.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:07 am
Buddy Peace

Aaah, so that's what happened to Bruno Brookes... Wondered where he went...
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:29 am
english bob

haha :)

anyway, i bought it. as has been said, it'll be vaguely funny if it works. but even if it doesn't, 50p is neither here nor there.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mancabbage

how is it a silly song? Its a great fucking tune, its madly popular and its known by a shit load of people. What else would work? You need the youngsters in on this, yes it has a cool bit at the end where 14 year olds can rage against their parents, but you know.. rage are the best introduction into not being a massive bastard you can give to a young person, something to prick the ears up if you will
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:56 am
Tempest

i like it.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 am
laurapalmer

mancabbage wrote:
how is it a silly song? Its a great fucking tune, its madly popular and its known by a shit load of people. What else would work? You need the youngsters in on this, yes it has a cool bit at the end where 14 year olds can rage against their parents, but you know.. rage are the best introduction into not being a massive bastard you can give to a young person, something to prick the ears up if you will

A. You are saying that a commercial former top 40 song is so vastly different from christmas schlock that this is a win?

B. Even if you can make an argument that it is more subversive than the other stuff that was making its way on the countdown, you can't tell me as a grown ass adult you don't see how other grown ass adults can find the song silly-even factoring in quaint nostalgia. Or can you?

C. One more example of why RATM forms the unholy quadrangle of bands with radiohead, tool, and mr. bungle.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 am
jstile

laurapalmer wrote:
mancabbage wrote:

A. You are saying that a commercial former top 40 song is so vastly different from christmas schlock that this is a win?

B. Even if you can make an argument that it is more subversive than the other stuff that was making its way on the countdown, you can't tell me as a grown ass adult you don't see how other grown ass adults can find the song silly-even factoring in quaint nostalgia. Or can you?

C. One more example of why RATM forms the unholy quadrangle of bands with radiohead, tool, and mr. bungle.

There's no need to over-analyse this. Simon Cowell's pop proteges have taken the xmas no.1 the last 4 years running. To have him dethroned by by a song containing the words "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" will be entertaining. I mean, both songs are on Sony, it's not like it's an attempt to support independent artists. It's just a bit of a giggle. RATM are well-known enough that this could work, but the song is abrasive enough that it makes some kind of point. Everyone likes an armchair revolution. Make of it what you will.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:58 pm
TurnpikeGates

laurapalmer wrote:

You are tripping. Hard. If by unholy quadrangle, you mean "really popular bands that pretentious music snobs actually admit to liking" well... maybe. Pulling condescending "adult music" criteria though.... bullshit. If you don't get down to Rage, that's fine... maybe the nostalgia factor doesn't even get you... but get the stick outcha ass.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:11 pm
mancabbage

laurapalmer wrote:
mancabbage wrote:

a) yes. Its funny, its fun and it is a great song.

b & c) Comeon, don't be a muppet, maybe you don't get it. Thats ok. Christmas number 1 is a thing here,

Quote:

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

this was christmas number 1 once. This is a silly song
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next