Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Drop the World - Lil' wayne feat. eminem
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
Self Conscious



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 322
Location: Sleeping in a box car dreaming of lost starts
 Reply with quote  

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Sorry, I can't see myself making excuses for liking the guy. I can't sit there, and say "Well, if I just forget about people who make music with substance in their music, I can really like this guy." I don't care if you like him, but he should be more of a guilty pleasure, not a hyped up demigod.

If he's not going to make good music, or music with substance, I won't like him.


no one is saying to ignore music with substance, id much rather listen to mac or slug then wayne but that doesnt mean you cant enjoy some of his music. all im saying is you have to take him for who he is
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.


Joined: 09 Jan 2003
Posts: 1281
Location: Fitchburg, MA
 Reply with quote  

Lil Wayne is pure ego poured out onto the mic. It's fun, intelligent, and definitely does not lack "substance." This does not change the fact that he is an Illuminati puppet! Baby is his 'handler,' and he has undergone ritual sexual abuse since a very young age.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11291
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

Dr Sagacious wrote:
You don't know me personally. And I don't know you personally. If I were to judge you from this, I'd think you were one of the biggest nazi dicks ever. But you're not.

Life will go on.


But I think you're allergic to nuance. That much is pretty clear by how you write on here. It's not that you're wrong, it's how you're wrong.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

Enlighten me. Because you're really only proving my point.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11291
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Enlighten me. Because you're really only proving my point.


No, you mine.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
breakfast



Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 2895
 Reply with quote  

A lot of you with disdain for this track need to understand that your personal ideology doesn't have to be repeated to you in every piece of art you find, and it's a more enjoyable and challenging experience when it isn't. Because the criticism that I'm hearing is moreso one of Wayne as an artist than of this specific track.

And those of you attempting to write this off on it's technical failings, unappealing flow or drum sound engineering that doesn't match your preferences or the absence of punchlines - you need better adjectives.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

icarus502 wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
Enlighten me. Because you're really only proving my point.


No, you mine.


I can see your boogers.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
medicineman
HALFLING


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 1393
Location: Iowa City
 Reply with quote  

breakfast wrote:
A lot of you with disdain for this track need to understand that your personal ideology doesn't have to be repeated to you in every piece of art you find, and it's a more enjoyable and challenging experience when it isn't. Because the criticism that I'm hearing is moreso one of Wayne as an artist than of this specific track.

And those of you attempting to write this off on it's technical failings, unappealing flow or drum sound engineering that doesn't match your preferences or the absence of punchlines - you need better adjectives.



I think the burden of proof lies with the artists who have set a high bar for themselves. That proof should be, as they say, in the puddin', and it ain't.

And the mix IS wack. I realize that this is a matter of opinion but it is.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 1920
Location: kc
 Reply with quote  

The only credence I can lend to calling the mix wack, is that it's Wayne's attempt at making a rock record. Which, to him, calls for those terrible 1989 drums. Rappers are historically bad at dipping their toes into the rock genre. They do unfathomably cliche shit.

My thing is caring about the mix.

Who cares?
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
medicineman
HALFLING


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 1393
Location: Iowa City
 Reply with quote  

Mac Lethal wrote:
The only credence I can lend to calling the mix wack, is that it's Wayne's attempt at making a rock record. Which, to him, calls for those terrible 1989 drums. Rappers are historically bad at dipping their toes into the rock genre. They do unfathomably cliche shit.

My thing is caring about the mix.

Who cares?


Well, I don't mean to step out of line, sir, but, musicians/producers, maybe? It sounds booty to the point where it is distracting from the lyrics/performance. It is harsh and not euphonious to the human ear and makes for an unpleasant listening experience. At least I think so. And these are things to care about when making music.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
codebreaker



Joined: 13 May 2006
Posts: 217
Location: chicago
 Reply with quote  

this thread reeks of condescension and elitism. aka, nothing new, in a SFF music thread - but it still irks me.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
SlickWillyP
HILL GIANT


Joined: 28 Jun 2004
Posts: 2118
Location: zoo hampshire
 Reply with quote  

Confidential wrote:
Wayne is becoming a guilty pleasure for me. I became a fan of the person after I saw that Doc.


alright i'm a wayne fan but i watched the first 30-45 minutes of that movie and stopped because i found it sooo boring. was the 2nd half really killer or was it just not my style?
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
medicineman
HALFLING


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 1393
Location: Iowa City
 Reply with quote  

codebreaker wrote:
this thread reeks of condescension and elitism. aka, nothing new, in a SFF music thread - but it still irks me.


Ha, yeah but it's fun. 7 pages in we have even spawned a new thread wherein interesting things could potentially be said.

maybe
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Hellen Earth wrote:
Lil Wayne is pure ego poured out onto the mic.
I'm gonna say it's more id than ego.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Haha this beat is so trash.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:17 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon