Search
Register
Drop the World - Lil' wayne feat. eminem
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

Wack mixing (shit is harsh on the ears). Wayne's singing actually has some kind of Cobain type appeal to it.

I agree with Em needing to quit singing. Its good when he's being funny, but serious singing Em is cheesy (to the max).
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:35 pm
Raoul DeGroot

malpractice wrote:
best chorus evar

ditto that.

That's a nice sad song. Better the kids listen to that than some gahbijj.

edit: Do you guys hear eminem yelping "how" and "cold" on the doubletracking during his sing songy part? Am I hallucinating that?

Lil Wayne is such a superior rapper to someone like Jay-Z, for a lot of reasons, but even if just for the fact that he can make his voice emote.
I think I heard the Marsalis who was on Leno (branfod? wynton?) talking about Youssou N'Dour and how he, and those people who can express through just tone or phrasing, are the real bigshots.
Marsalis is a jazz dummy, but he's right about that one. More rappers need to pay attention to how they modulate their rap voice.
Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 pm
mancabbage

this is shit
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Tempest

i like it.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 am
Freshman_Woes82

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
malpractice wrote:
best chorus evar

Lil Wayne is such a superior rapper to someone like Jay-Z

Really?
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 am
pugg

AdamBomb wrote:
Wayne's singing actually has some kind of Cobain type appeal to it.

I've been hearing the Cobain influence on Wayne for a minute now (more like a couple weeks). Ever since seeing him in The Carter mentioning him.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
breakfast

I enjoyed this song. It's one of those pop catharsis kinda things.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 am
medicineman
HALFLING

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
malpractice wrote:
best chorus evar

ditto that.

That's a nice sad song. Better the kids listen to that than some gahbijj.

edit: Do you guys hear eminem yelping "how" and "cold" on the doubletracking during his sing songy part? Am I hallucinating that?

Lil Wayne is such a superior rapper to someone like Jay-Z, for a lot of reasons, but even if just for the fact that he can make his voice emote.
I think I heard the Marsalis who was on Leno (branfod? wynton?) talking about Youssou N'Dour and how he, and those people who can express through just tone or phrasing, are the real bigshots.
Marsalis is a jazz dummy, but he's right about that one. More rappers need to pay attention to how they modulate their rap voice.

Yeah, but there's something to be said for subtlety, yes? Wayne's voice is fucking cheesy and overdone when he tries to put emotion into it. It sounds ridiculous. Begging the question, how does someone whose persona (as expressed vocally, as well) is essentially pure bravado acknowledge weakness, or vulnerability? Well, not like that.

That song is really really disappointing. Whoever said the mix is wack and harsh is on point. By the end of the song the high synth is making it pretty much impossible for me to pay attention. Don't those guys work with like, professional engineers and producers and stuff?

Whatever, you're lucky you didn't lose me with the first line of that block. If Lil Wayne is a better rapper than Jay-Z he should have rapped better than him when he had the chance. Jay-Z makes Wayne looks like a child coloring wildly outside the lines when they are on the same track.

You watch Leno.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:39 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Let me make one thing clear. I do not watch Leno. But I am aware that a Marsalis brother used to be his bandleader. That is because I am over the age of baby.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:40 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Lil Wayne is NOT better than Jay-Z

lets just make that clear
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:54 pm
tommi teardrop

I get all excited these days when I hear an eminem verse without an accent. This song is ridiculous though. And I mean that in the best possible way. I have no idea if it is technically good or not, but I sure am glad that it exists.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:54 pm
Brynjar

Neuro wrote:
Lil Wayne is NOT better than Jay-Z

lets just make that clear

of all rappers that many people have been calling the best over the years like Biggie, Jay-Z, Nas, Em etc. Wayne is clearly the worst.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:59 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

i may be in the minority but i rather hear what wayne has to say lyrically then jay.

i think wayne is also lyrically more skilled then jay.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:09 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Jay-Z is like punchcard rap.
He's a teddy ruxpin rapper. Just raps off the cassette. The mouth moves and the body is still. He's a more precise rapper, but has no life in him.
His subject matter is boring and repetitive. He's got the mind of a japanese businessman.

It's like this here- are you a jazz dummy? And you like to hear people tinker up and down scales all day long?
Or do you like blues and rock and roll and you like to hear weird, expressive people pour out weird, expressive art like leaves falling off a tree into the shape of a person.

Lil wayne is not a better rapper, but he's more inventive, is a more compelling person, and makes more compelling/challenging art.
Jay-Z is in it for the paycheck and lives in a beige world with Beyonce and the Coldplay guy.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:11 pm
Stumbleweed

Agreed with the last 2 posts.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next