Profile
Search
Register
Log in
The heckler. The battle. The hometown throwdown.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
adic



Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 727
Location: SJC
 Reply with quote  

Damn... Dude got clowned, definetly seemed like that girl was waiting for the opportunity to clown on him...
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21595
 Reply with quote  

iammessage wrote:
home girl was spittin pre writtz son.


haha I said the same exact thing once she got off stage. Which makes me wonder if you were a fly on the wall at the show.
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Inedible Condiment



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 1045
Location: Halifax, NS
 Reply with quote  

I definitely felt bad for that guy... but maybe I'm just being a softy... he looked like he needed a hug, not a battle.

Also, Sage you deleted a post... you rascal you. I saw that. I know everything!
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
prolific memorie



Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Posts: 1412
Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.
 Reply with quote  

Haha!!!!
Post Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21595
 Reply with quote  

my post about Phes? I rethought the whole "posting personal info of friends" thing on the internets. He's doing well though.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

The best heckling incident I've ever seen was at an Atmos show at the Bowery. Slug stopped the song and was like "yo, what the fuck is your problem?" The kid was apparently bitchin about how Atmos only made songs for girls or some shit ha. He got kicked out, the show went on. After it was over and I went outside, Slug was out there listening to the kid's drunken nonsense. I'm not sure why. But when I heard that verse on Strictly Leakage...best believe I was laughin my ass off.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reggie



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 5765
Location: Queens, NYC
 Reply with quote  

I am a reformed heckler. I wasn't like the guy in the video, though. In fact, in some ways I didn't "heckle" at all, I would just shout responses to the performers banter. I think there are a lot of reasons for this: for one thing, a lot of these venues I'd see shows at were small bars, and the audience would practically be staring the performer in the face at eye level. This creates an illusion that you aren't watching a performance, but that you are having some kind of brainstorming session. Another reason is because, by and large, most rap performances I have seen have been plodding, boring affairs, and the only way I could justify the cover charge would be to get my rocks off by screaming some shit.

I can think of two times I "heckled" Sage. One was at the Middle East, I think it was the tour with Edan and Grand Buffet, but I'm not positive. I know the venue was the Middle East. Sage used to do this thing where he took off his shoe and rapped to it. Then, I guess he would take his time putting the shoe back on, or maybe he wouldn't put it back on at all, I don't remember. But he'd do at least part of the show in his socks. I was at that elevated bar section, and I leaned over the railing and cackled in an old lady voice, "Yer gonna get holes in yer socks!" Sage replied, "Is that my only problem?"

Another time, he was doing a showcase at this crappy little club on 14th Street called Hush or something like that...Grand Buffet was at that show, too, though they weren't "together" really. This was a really small venue, I believe it was around the time Hope dropped, but it might have been between Hope and A Healthy Distrust. Sage was talking about how he slept on a floor in Brooklyn for a year trying to get involved in the NYC hip-hop scene, and I sarcastically yelled, "But you're not bitter!" Sage smiled and repeated it, and went on.

Not really monumental pieces of heckling, but I regret shouting that stuff and much more (and worse) stuff at other artists in the past. It just grinds the gears of a show and fucks up the momentum for everyone. I mean, if you've really got something important to say...catch up with the artist at the end of the show. If it's someone like Sage, he'll probably be at the merch table chatting it up anyway.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ardamus315



Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Posts: 490
 Reply with quote  

That was sad, pathetic, and funny.....

make sure that happens again. LOL.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message
phataccino



Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Posts: 4772
 Reply with quote  

Most of my heckling exploits have taken place at sporting events, to which heckling is better suited anyway. The best heckling I was ever a part of was during a Warriors/Clippers game when Cherokee Parks was on the Clippers. A few friends and I had been giving parks shit every time he touched the ball. Late in the game he went to the line and my friend stood up and yelled, "hey, Cherokee" at the top of his lungs. This was Warriors/Clippers in like 2000, and it was late in the 4th quarter of a blowout, so there were about 42 people in the crowd. Parks heard and actually looked over at us. My friend was kind of stunned that he actually acknowledged us after we had been heckling him all game, so all he could come up with was "you suck!" which got the loudest applause of pretty much the entire game. Good times.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:43 am
 View user's profile Send private message
b. dolan
FBI agent


Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 5700
 Reply with quote  

reggie -

the kind of heckling your describing has never really annoyed me, and i actually enjoy and 'call for' that kind of heckling pretty often.

as far as banter goes, i think it should be loose enough that a heckler isn't interrupting some pre-scripted monologue ... i think hecklers can be a great reminder to both the performer and audience to be 'in' that particular moment. you're not watching this on tv and i'm not performing into a camera... if you yell something at me i will hear it and respond, for better or worse :)

and by 'call for', i mean that there's a certain way to pause while you're talking on stage that incites people to yell things at you. like, if you just take a breath and look like you've got nothing to say for a second, people start yelling shit at you before they even know why they're doing it. haha. if you watch old richard pryor he used to do that shit perfectly... and eventually the audience would show up feeling like they could say anything to him at any time.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

phataccino wrote:
Most of my heckling exploits have taken place at sporting events, to which heckling is better suited anyway. The best heckling I was ever a part of was during a Warriors/Clippers game when Cherokee Parks was on the Clippers. A few friends and I had been giving parks shit every time he touched the ball. Late in the game he went to the line and my friend stood up and yelled, "hey, Cherokee" at the top of his lungs. This was Warriors/Clippers in like 2000, and it was late in the 4th quarter of a blowout, so there were about 42 people in the crowd. Parks heard and actually looked over at us. My friend was kind of stunned that he actually acknowledged us after we had been heckling him all game, so all he could come up with was "you suck!" which got the loudest applause of pretty much the entire game. Good times.


Haha. Yeah, agreed about heckling at sporting events. Vernon Wells knows my voice. I've gotten in his head on more than one occasion.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iammessage



Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 655
Location: ZOO DIRT, OH
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
iammessage wrote:
home girl was spittin pre writtz son.


haha I said the same exact thing once she got off stage. Which makes me wonder if you were a fly on the wall at the show.


with a birds eye view...

nope...i was in ohio, wishing i had went to new england to see one of these shows.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll


Joined: 18 Oct 2002
Posts: 4825
 Reply with quote  

my heckling consists of:

Telling Paul O'Neil- "I hate you O'neil" from 2 feet away at Tiger Stadium I told him about 5 times straight about 5 other people were hammering him too it was great.

JR Smith his rookie year with New Orleans the last preseason game before the season starts I was sitting in the front row courtside about 2-3feet away an I told him "JR if you want your team to win you better quit shooting the ball" ( he just shook his head an one of his teammates was bustin up laughin.

telling Steve Finley he cost us getting to the world series because of his 3inch verticle leap when that backup catcher hit a game winner in Shea

Telling Raja Bell from the same courtside seats "thanks for decking Kobe" he turns an looks at me stunned an people around me busted up laughin for several minutes..

I'm sure I've yelled at more sports guys but those are the ones that stick out..oh...I kept asking Ron Gant if he wanted to borrow my motorbike the year after he busted his leg on a dirtbike :)

Oh I also was sitting courtside an kept asking Melo' if he packed his own bags this time..( in reference to him getting caught with Ganja in his luggage an him claiming his "friend" packed his bags for him"
He was laughin when I kept asking him :)

I tend to know obscure random things about players an say those things to them to make my comments stand out..
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9263
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

badly drawn boy tried to barge me out the way at the crobar (horrible bar full of fat men singing iron maiden). not realizing who he was at first we got into a barny, he started insulting me and then i clocked who he was and told him he was a coffee table, daily mail, richard and judy rockstar which made my day. i shoulda threatened to steal his hat but meh, anyway it turns out his car had broken down and was outside (his mate who had come over to apologize to me for him being a twat, had told me).. As i left i found two of my friends pissing on his engine.
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sick_transit



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 Reply with quote  

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
my heckling consists of:

Telling Paul O'Neil- "I hate you O'neil" from 2 feet away at Tiger Stadium I told him about 5 times straight about 5 other people were hammering him too it was great.

JR Smith his rookie year with New Orleans the last preseason game before the season starts I was sitting in the front row courtside about 2-3feet away an I told him "JR if you want your team to win you better quit shooting the ball" ( he just shook his head an one of his teammates was bustin up laughin.

telling Steve Finley he cost us getting to the world series because of his 3inch verticle leap when that backup catcher hit a game winner in Shea

Telling Raja Bell from the same courtside seats "thanks for decking Kobe" he turns an looks at me stunned an people around me busted up laughin for several minutes..

I'm sure I've yelled at more sports guys but those are the ones that stick out..oh...I kept asking Ron Gant if he wanted to borrow my motorbike the year after he busted his leg on a dirtbike :)

Oh I also was sitting courtside an kept asking Melo' if he packed his own bags this time..( in reference to him getting caught with Ganja in his luggage an him claiming his "friend" packed his bags for him"
He was laughin when I kept asking him :)

I tend to know obscure random things about players an say those things to them to make my comments stand out..


Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon