View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

mortalthoughts
LAME KID

^^ WOW thats awesome
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:44 pm
mancabbage

</object>

yeah man, check this, fwd to 3:15 or so... I remember turning on the tele at that exact point, all id seen of her beforehand was pics of her stumbling out of clubs in crazy outfits in the papers... i'd heard poker face and whatever the other hit was but only in the background at the gym... i couldn't have given a monkeys about her, but... turn on the tv and she does that... fucking incredible. I love the break for the costume change, amazing. if she did an unplugged record i'd be all over it

winner :
</object>
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:20 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

y'all should really listen to "elevator" its been on repeat for a few days now

here is the chorus, which I can appreciate

There once was a saying that I used to say
Back in the day when I met Dre
I used to sit and goof on the phone with my friend proof
That if I went gold, Id go right through the roof
He said what if you went platinum, Id just laugh at him
Thats not happening, that I cant fathom
Eighty something million records worldwide later,
Im living in a house with a fucking elevator
Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:29 pm
Travadone

i dont listen to eminem but he can rap his ass off and has a bunch of different flows at his disposal.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:18 pm
bakemosphere

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
y'all should really listen to "elevator" its been on repeat for a few days now

here is the chorus, which I can appreciate

There once was a saying that I used to say
Back in the day when I met Dre
I used to sit and goof on the phone with my friend proof
That if I went gold, Id go right through the roof
He said what if you went platinum, Id just laugh at him
Thats not happening, that I cant fathom
Eighty something million records worldwide later,
Im living in a house with a fucking elevator
Everyone's riding Buffalo Bill's dick right now but I agree with ya and think this is the best song he's leaked so far. I can't get enough of that Dre Munsteresque sounding beat.
Post Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:45 pm
Mark in Minnesota

From a random note I just tagged on to the "signature" section of an email at work (and which I should probably know better than to send by now):

Wikipedia recently called my attention to August Brown of the Los Angeles Times, who writes:

Quote:

"The prerecorded backing tracks and juvenile misogyny of bands such as the New Mexico screamo-crunk act BrokenCYDE are affronts to traditionalist punk values."

"The 'Albucrazy'-based band has done for MySpace emo what some think Soulja Boy did for hip-hop: turn their career into a kind of macro-performance art that exists so far beyond the tropes of irony and sincerity that to ask 'are they kidding?' is like trying to peel an onion to get to a perceived central core that, in the end, does not exist and renders all attempts to reassemble the pieces futile."

Elsewhere in his writings on the subject, August takes the same kind of cheap shot at Hot Topic that I myself generally enjoy taking around the holidays, but I must admit, he probably deserves some kind of award for insane pomposity with his journalistic rage against this band. I mean, yeah, they're so terrible that they're almost circling around and arriving at staggering genius via the back door. But: Traditionalist punk values? Really? If such a thing can even exist, wouldn't that be something that one might actually want to affront?

Could it be that these guys are so punk that they're like that Sprint commercial where the man is sticking it to himself? Yeah, no, maybe. I don't see why one would even struggle with whether or not it's okay to award them points for that. This isn't some complicated Ouroboros moment in pop culture, it's hipster appropriation-irony doing exactly what hipster appropriation-irony always does, which is to make absolutely everybody else want to either get in on the joke, or dissolve into the throes of apoplectic rage.

August Brown is trying fruitlessly to thread the needle by getting all intellectual and above-the-fray about it. Which would be a lot more fun to mock if I hadn't just caught myself doing the same exact thing. J'accuse!
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm
redball

Maybe that people who are older and wiser feel so much rage about this group fuels the rebellious fire of the ignorant youths who count themselves as fans. The more that we on the outside decry that the music sucks, the stronger the fans feel that we just don't get it. So, you see, being a fan of brokencyde is easy, since you obviously don't have to think much about it, yet it is rebellious and seems as though it more difficult and involved than it really is. How better to express your middle class teenage angst than to listen to shit that no one else can tolerate?

The key is to ignore it entirely. This way you don't allow for the us-vs-them mentality to form a group cohesion that allows a fanbase to strengthen and truly dedicate itself to a shitty artist. If you ignore such followings rather ostracize them then their complaints of "no one gets me" never becomes "no one gets us." If that transition never occurs then its likely that the only groups that succeed with such followings are the ones that have at least a shred of talent.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:21 pm
jehu

Travadone wrote:
i dont listen to eminem but he can rap his ass off and has a bunch of different flows at his disposal.

and is incredibly slick with it, regardless of content. he's so good in enough ways that i have to listen to him some times. every few months i throw in 1 of the 1st 3(including infinite) records.
Post Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:02 pm
mancabbage

redball wrote:
Maybe that people who are older and wiser feel so much rage about this group fuels the rebellious fire of the ignorant youths who count themselves as fans. The more that we on the outside decry that the music sucks, the stronger the fans feel that we just don't get it. So, you see, being a fan of brokencyde is easy, since you obviously don't have to think much about it, yet it is rebellious and seems as though it more difficult and involved than it really is. How better to express your middle class teenage angst than to listen to shit that no one else can tolerate?

The key is to ignore it entirely. This way you don't allow for the us-vs-them mentality to form a group cohesion that allows a fanbase to strengthen and truly dedicate itself to a shitty artist. If you ignore such followings rather ostracize them then their complaints of "no one gets me" never becomes "no one gets us." If that transition never occurs then its likely that the only groups that succeed with such followings are the ones that have at least a shred of talent.

you cant trust people man, people listen to coldplay and voted for the nazis.
Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6