Register
The Dubai bubble will only go POP
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

medicineman
HALFLING

note1 wrote:
medicineman wrote:
So is the pic in the OP actually supposed to be a penis ejaculating into a womb? Or is it something else that just happens to look an awful lot like that? Seems like a very strange thing to want to build.

err i guess it was the third post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Islands

Any chance this thread gets back on track? No? OK

I was gonna start talking about Bioshock. Would that help?
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:35 pm
note1

Would be better than more Ayn discussion...
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:46 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

note1 wrote:
Would be better than more Ayn discussion...

It was a tie-in actually.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:49 pm
sparrow

remind wrote:

You said you could care less about her literary work. You got offended at my original statement about people who hate Rand without reading her stuff. You also never admitted to reading any Rand until now. So, yeah, I assumed your reading was very limited. My apologies. But if you're going to attack Rand and/or Objectivism, shouldn't you go to the source first rather than those "numerous academic criticisms"? That's what doesn't make sense to me. Here, try this:

"Fuck Ayn Rand." - you
"Word. What have you read of hers?" - someone
"Oh...well...I've mostly read other people's opinions. I started one book but I couldn't make it through the first 1/4 of the book it was so bad." - you

Is that not silly? Ever hear of a book getting better or growing on you as you go on?

sparrow wrote:
ive had a friend of mine try and push ayn rand books on me in a weird cultish way numerous times.

Yes, yes...I know the drill. And that sucks. Anything pushed on to someone would hopefully turn that person off to whatever it is. Whether it's the Bible or Atlas Shrugged, I don't want shit shoved down my throat. I'm with ya. It could be shitty though because it, in turn, makes you a little closed-minded and you could potentially be missing out on something worthwhile all because of that one person doing the pushing/shoving.

sparrow wrote:
your a fanboy thats pretty obvious (thats ok).

Did I enjoy reading what I've read? Yes, more so than not. That is what's obvious. That doesn't make me one of the die-hards. I had a slew of issues and questions to be raised once I finished reading and the things that I've found out since then have only tainted her works, in my mind. But uh yeah, I know being a fan is ok, thanks.

sparrow wrote:
and it seems like the reason your consistently trying to steer this conversation away from how crazy her philosophy is and how that influenced greenspan.

I made a statement about Rand. I wasn't trying to steer the existing conversation. You responded to my statement and we had an exchange all our own. Ok?

1.i could care less about her literary work in the context of talking about the fundamentals of the objectivist philosophy. ultimately her philosophy came from her and you can see it in her fiction books but you can also see it at aynrand.org and objectivistcenter.org too (those are sources), amongst many other sources (her followers, academic crits, etc.).

2. i never, anywhere in this thread said, fuck ayn rand. nor did anyone else for that matter. thats all you. im most concerned with her philosophy not as much her character, in this context. other peoples opinions and academic criticisms are two different things. im not reading the opinions, im reading the academic crits.

3. you have been steering this thread into a debate about ayn rands artistic merits, when i dont really care about that, hence im not concerned if her writing is good or bad artistically. im just concerned with the ideas she has instituted through the ayn rand institute. see what im sayin here? and how those ideas have played a role in our economic policies of 4 US presidents. see: reganomics.

sorry folks

===========

back to dubai..

yes i also think the palm tree is phallic..
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm
Oh Daesu

To be fair I helped steer into Rand's aesthetic merits.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:10 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_%28archipelago%29

The world is sinking.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm
Dr Sagacious

With projects like that, there's no wonder Dubai is going to shit.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Dr Sagacious wrote:
With projects like that, there's no wonder Dubai is going to shit.

I know. It's like a retarded Starcraft map I tried to make back in the day.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 pm
futuristxen

I personally like the idea of Dubai. A sort of gluttonous Xanadu of irrational human frivolity on an almost unimaginable scale. I mean the sheer ostentation of it is completely remarkable, and I love that.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 pm
Dr Sagacious

Ugh... Xanadu, Jeff Lynne's greatest blunder.

Dubai is quite remarkable, and it will continue to be. How it went (or will go) from nothingness to a Mecca for Capitalism, back to nothingess. But hey, it'll be a prime spot to shoot a live action Fallout film!
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 pm
The Count

I always saved the little sisters instead of harvesting them. Good thing that turned out well.

Those Hoodini splicers were so annoying.
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:49 pm
Dr Sagacious

Bioshock: Dubai!
Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:56 pm
Joshua Kane

Here is a long but incredibly informed and realistic discussion of the Dubai debt default, and why it signals the start of the next wave of financial crisis. (Warning - the language within is, shall we say, a bit prejudiced against Middle Eastern elites in certain places. I in no way support this chap's cultural views, but I think he links the Dubai default with the mounting next wave of crisis better than most).

http://bit.ly/5ol1kH
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:14 pm
zeem

Joshua Kane wrote:
Here is a long but incredibly informed and realistic discussion of the Dubai debt default, and why it signals the start of the next wave of financial crisis. (Warning - the language within is, shall we say, a bit prejudiced against Middle Eastern elites in certain places. I in no way support this chap's cultural views, but I think he links the Dubai default with the mounting next wave of crisis better than most).

http://bit.ly/5ol1kH

Thanks for the article. The guy's great. Definitely racist. However, I do agree that the sheiks live in a feudal mindset that derives from their super extreme religious beliefs.

Quote:

Dubai is not a major business center. It looks like Manhattan but the occupancy rate of the offices you see below is less then 10%.

Joshua Kane, or someone else: Can this, in anyway, be framed in the context of Klein's economic shock therapy?
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 pm
shambhala

No. Dubai is basically the most extreme example of a Friedmanite paradise, and was since its creation. That was the draw of the place for foreign capital from the beginning. Shock therapy is what has to be done to an economy that's used to some government involvement in order to make it pure and gooey for the vampire people. Klein's main point was that process usually involves a little, shall we say, nudging of the population in order to get them to welcome the free market paradise where they can sell their kidneys if they so desire.
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next