Search
Register
PFA/Metermaids Providence show 12/9
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Alan Hague

ALSO - just found this little blurb about next week's show in the Phoenix:

http://thephoenix.com/Providence/Music/93734-Musical-gifts/

"AS220 (401.831.9327) delivers a midweek bash headlined by Strange Famous Recordsí resident punks PRAYERS FOR ATHEISTS on WEDNESDAY (the 9th) along with a stacked lineup featuring ROZ RASKIN & THE RICE CAKES, NY rap duo METERMAIDS, and Lincoln-based alt-rockers STALEMATE. PFA is mapping out another nationwide tour be-hind their acclaimed eponymous debut; their sold-out CD release show at AS220 a few months back was bananas. All-ages and only $7 at the door."[/url]
Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:37 pm
Jared Paul

Gettin' close now!

We're gonna have info tables/volunteers from RI Mobilization Committee, RI 2:1 Coalition, and RI Marriage Rights.

Got some special things planned.

Can't wait to see Metermaids in Prov!
Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob Harris

We are 0 for 2 with shows at AS220, but I am confident this one will turn our luck around.
I used to think Providence was cursed for us. But we had a blast with Storm and PDP a while back.

Last show of the year with PFA? Sounds pretty good to me.
Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 pm
Jared Paul

Bob Harris wrote:
We are 0 for 2 with shows at AS220, but I am confident this one will turn our luck around.
I used to think Providence was cursed for us. But we had a blast with Storm and PDP a while back.

Metermaids supporters have been great to us in NYC. Still, neither time have we been able to match the intensity and overall baller-ness of yalls set. I've got a good feeling about this show for all of us. This is gonna be an AS220/PFA crowd who'll be willing to go there with you rowdiness wise. And i'm gonna give ya a speccccccial intro.

Soon soon!
Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Storm Davis

Bob Harris wrote:

Our show together was at Firehouse 13, which seems to have the momentum 'round here as of late. Truth be told, I haven't played a worthwhile show at AS220 since November 2006... but I ain't hear to threadjack, so enough about all that.

PFA packed the place right before their tour, so I have confidence that you guys will have a live ass crowd to rock for. All asses are projected to be live. I looked into it, and that is the projection.
Post Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm
Cousin Tom

Its been a non-stop promotional effort from all the bands involved. Txts, Flyers, Phone Calls, Facebook, Myspace etc. This show's gonna be packed to the gills without a doubt! ONLY A DAY AWAY!!! See you all soon!
Post Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:28 am
Bob Harris

Got back into Brooklyn at 430 is the morning, and back at work before I knew what was what.

Indie rap superstardom is nothing if it aint devastating to both mind and body. Haha.

Totally worth the trip. We had a blast, sold a bunch of merch, made some new friends, and met a couple cool ass forum heads. What up erich!

Also got to hang out a bunch with Prolyphic which was dope. Good to see him again.

And PFA in front of the home crowd? Gopd lord. Fucking amazing. Victory music yo.

I'm amazed I can form sentences right now.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:35 am
Alan Hague

Excellent night all around.

Metermaids killed it. A bunch of Marco's crew, who aren't really into hip-hop at all, really liked their set. They definitely picked up a bunch of fans last night.

Also, that was an excellent Bernie Madoff tribute, haha.

Roz Raskin & the Rice Cakes played a great set, as usual.

Thanks to Erich & Brian Ellis for making the trek down from Boston; much appreciated! In fact, thanks to everybody who came out to the show. We love ya's.

I was really pleased to get positive feedback on the new songs we debuted, too. Can't wait to see Prolyphic's filmage of the set.

Also, sorry to the dude who broke his nose in the pit. We'll give you some PFA-brand ibuprofen for that; it's on us.
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:58 pm
Jared Paul

Alan Hague wrote:
I was really pleased to get positive feedback on the new songs we debuted, too. Can't wait to see Prolyphic's filmage of the set.

Also, sorry to the dude who broke his nose in the pit. We'll give you some PFA-brand ibuprofen for that; it's on us.

First broken nose at one of our shows. Jeez. Random stage divers too. Gonna have to keep an eye on that... Pro? Do we have any of that on film?
Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:50 pm
erich

i came down from boston for this show because, one, harper's ferry is expensive for shows, and two, i was much more interested to see The Metermaids than Flobots. I didn't really check out Stalemate too intently, but I was a little put off that they were aggressively passing out flyers and CDs in the front of the crowd during other act's sets. just seems like poor form.

anyway, i thought that Metermaids was a live band for some reason, but im glad to say they maintained a high energy set supported only by their DJ. everyone had their finger pistols out, which was fortunate because shit was REAL. After the punk kids figured out what was going on, everyone seemed really into them, and by the time they dropped Neutral Milk Hotel as exit music, folks were singing along.

those Rice Cake motherfuckers were excellent! i think the name isnt doing them any favors, but man could they play. superb, superb drummer and the bassist and keyboardist pulled multi-instrument duty for a few songs. i had no idea what to expect from them coming in, and i can't say enough about how tight and enthusiastic they were.

i've seen PFA a handful of times now and i can honestly say they just keep getting better. brian and i were talking about how old we feel when, after 4 songs of getting knocked around in the pit we're all cramped up, but when jared paul says "YOU'RE NOT TIRED YET!" i say how high. i wish i took some pictures of this night, but i would've run the risk of having my camera destroyed. there was great energy in the pit; no tough guy shit, ladies making their cases too, and nobody was allowed to hit the ground. and there were vegan baked goods!

the highlight for me, though, was when i figured out who Bob Harris was and introduced myself as erich from the forum and he knew exactly who i was. Cotterpin was also there, and we all did the obligatory forum-talk thing. it's so great meeting forum folks at shows; it's an instant rapport. I love Providence. Maybe not AS220, per se, but i really love the city and the crowds at shows. Always an affair to remember.
Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am
sarah q

erich wrote:
I didn't really check out Stalemate too intently, but I was a little put off that they were aggressively passing out flyers and CDs in the front of the crowd during other act's sets. just seems like poor form.

I felt the exact same way, I don't appreciate people soliciting their shit while I'm dancing to ANOTHER band, it's disrespectful.

I believe Metermaids have had a live band in the past but were only able to bring a dj for this show. I really enjoyed their set. Many times when you see two people rapping, one of them is notably the lead guy, these two were even handed and had amazing back and forth energy. I don't see that very often. Plus they got everyone, including me, jumping up and down.

The last song on the PFA set was great, it sounded way different from the rest of their set, but I think putting it last worked, it was like dessert or a light refreshment to end the set. I don't know if a lot of people who see PFA perform realize what a strong asset Alan Hague's vocals are to the band so it's nice to see him take the lead for a minute and show off one of PFA's secret weapons.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Boston show was fun, though I was late getting there and missed the entire PFA set except for the last half of Wrong Horse.

If I never had to see Kinetix play again it would be too soon. Sorry, but it was like if 311 and Maroon 5 had a baby that was misinformed about it's own talent.

Flobots put on a great live show. I don't necessarily want to jam their cd, but I would see their live show any day and I love that they are getting people inspired. They frequently stop between songs to talk to the crowd about environmentalism, consumerism and the war in Afghanistan. They stand for everything they say they stand for and that is rare these days.

*Thanks to PFA for getting me to the Flobots shows.
Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:03 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3