Search
Register
Sarah Palin 2012
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

shambhala

Not to ignite some MLK "pen vs. sword" debate, but I do think this speech is applicable here. It bears keeping in mind that most of us became "liberal" because of the example of people like this. I think there is a lesson in that. I'd be happy if I stopped being such a slacker and tried to actualize what he's saying here in a way that wasn't lame.

http://www.mlkonline.net/enemies.html

Quote:

Now first let us deal with this question, which is the practical question: How do you go about loving your enemies? I think the first thing is this: In order to love your enemies, you must begin by analyzing self. And Iím sure that seems strange to you, that I start out telling you this morning that you love your enemies by beginning with a look at self. It seems to me that that is the first and foremost way to come to an adequate discovery to the how of this situation.

Now, Iím aware of the fact that some people will not like you, not because of something you have done to them, but they just wonít like you. Iím quite aware of that. Some people arenít going to like the way you walk; some people arenít going to like the way you talk. Some people arenít going to like you because you can do your job better than they can do theirs. Some people arenít going to like you because other people like you, and because youíre popular, and because youíre well-liked, they arenít going to like you. Some people arenít going to like you because your hair is a little shorter than theirs or your hair is a little longer than theirs. Some people arenít going to like you because your skin is a little brighter than theirs; and others arenít going to like you because your skin is a little darker than theirs. So that some people arenít going to like you. Theyíre going to dislike you, not because of something that youíve done to them, but because of various jealous reactions and other reactions that are so prevalent in human nature.

But after looking at these things and admitting these things, we must face the fact that an individual might dislike us because of something that weíve done deep down in the past, some personality attribute that we possess, something that weíve done deep down in the past and weíve forgotten about it; but it was that something that aroused the hate response within the individual. That is why I say, begin with yourself. There might be something within you that arouses the tragic hate response in the other individual.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:23 pm
See Arrrgh

shambhala wrote:
Farts in a jar.

For some reason, playing patty-cake with the people who support and buy into the shit coming out of (insert favorite host on FoxNews)'s mouth doesn't seem like a better idea than pointing out how stupid they are. Yes, it may be counter-effective to treat them like idiots to their faces, but what's the alternative? Isn't that what the town hall meetings in August were about? The problem is that they don't listen no matter what the other side tells them, because it's the other side.

I believe the best philosophy is to poke fun at them (Palin, her supporters, Beck, etc) from the comfortable safety of my home place. Other than that, I don't care much about them.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm
IAmNiki

Most of these crazy people are extremely opinionated and don't hesitate to spew it at the top of their lungs no matter how racist, homophobic, and counter productive to human rights their opinions may be. With people like this, I usually stay quiet out of civility until they end up expressing these beliefs. Then, it's fair game. If they want to engage in discourse (or just bawl out their opinions) they have opened themselves up to criticism and an equally passionate counter-argument. The country needs to move on without these people and let them see that America doesn't belong only to them and their temper tantrums aren't going to change anything until they become reasonable arguments (if ever.)

Naturally I'm kind of lumping together Palin supporters with the rest of the crazies, but I think that's a pretty fair assumption to make.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:31 pm
Stumbleweed

The fuck? A Palin clone meets the real thing at a book signing.

There are more of them???

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
futuristxen

Haha Sarah Palin looks freaked out.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:33 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

its official: Sarah Palin has been laying eggs all across the country on this tour. They hatch fully grown, with corrective lenses and a book in hand. We all know what this means...
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:36 pm
Dr Sagacious

Shambhala - I agree that openly mocking these people in their faces isn't a great way to approach the situation. It's stooping to their level. However, and you'd know this if you had a debate with them, they will NEVER EVER quit believing what they believe. They're so far right (or left if the opposite applies), that no matter how sensible you are with them in a debate, you'll never win. They'll say something that gets under your skin, or insults you in some way. Shouts out obscenities and/or racial slurs, and where is that getting anyone? I've had debates with Far-right Conservatives, being totally sensible and respective, as soon as you get an edge, they foam at the mouth.

This is not a group of people that really need to be involved in politics, government, or society. They don't help anything. Like Niki said, we just need to move on without them. Poke fun at them at our desktops like we do Sceneo kids, as time brushes them out of the way.

"Bob Dylan once wrote, The times, they are a-changin. Sarah Palin had never heard that song."
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm
The Count

Sham's on point here.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:28 pm
AdamBomb

The Count wrote:
Sham's on point here.

People are people. They follow, they do stuff. Most people I know don't know shit from shinola about politics. Are they idiots, too?

I don't ride for any politician/party 100% to call supporters of their opposition idiots or hate them. I also don't validate people on their political views, either. For a lot of people their views are a culmination of geographics, how they were raised, life experience, etc.

We are all idiots for putting up with the party system.
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

shambhala wrote:
You can scream at the TV all you want about this, but calling them idiots and getting uptight is not going to make any difference. It may even exacerbate the problem in some ways.

Yeah but can we at least agree that posting on this message board is not really the same thing as calling them stupid to their face? Like, they're never gonna see this.
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:47 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

I mean really, how many of us have gone up to a group of Palin supporters and laughed in their face?
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:43 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

AdamBomb wrote:
The Count wrote:
Sham's on point here.

People are people. They follow, they do stuff. Most people I know don't know shit from shinola about politics. Are they idiots, too?

I don't ride for any politician/party 100% to call supporters of their opposition idiots or hate them. I also don't validate people on their political views, either. For a lot of people their views are a culmination of geographics, how they were raised, life experience, etc.

We are all idiots for putting up with the party system.

How vacuous... oops, I mean, 'how open-minded'!
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 am
Joshua Kane

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
its official: Sarah Palin has been laying eggs all across the country on this tour. They hatch fully grown, with corrective lenses and a book in hand. We all know what this means...

classic
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 am
marshall84

Stumbleweed wrote:
The fuck? A Palin clone meets the real thing at a book signing.

There are more of them???

Is this shopped? Unreal.
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 am
Stumbleweed

No, it was actually posted on Sarah Palin's Facebook I think... I saw it on StumbleUpon/Digg.
Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next