Search
Register
Silk Nog > Egg Nog
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Raoul DeGroot

What do you make your homemade Bloody Marys from?

Unless you're using like some kind of rare topshelf primo brand tomato juice or fresh citrus, there's not much difference between Masters of Mixes and something you make at home.
I guess a good horseradish would make a difference. Fresh spices maybe. But otherwise just use that mix if you like it.

I actually nix the horseradish in mine, but make it extra spicy with lots of black pepper and a dash of good habanero sauce. Maybe that's frowned upon, but fuck it it's a meal type drink not a purist thing.

I bet it might be cool with like a dash of curry spices or some wasabi...
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:27 pm
Captiv8

Manhattans are my shit. So maybe I'll try a Manhattan nog. Silk brand, natch.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm
benjy compson

you kids & your beer & liquor.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:31 pm
tommi teardrop

Raoul DeGroot wrote:
What do you make your homemade Bloody Marys from?

Unless you're using like some kind of rare topshelf primo brand tomato juice or fresh citrus, there's not much difference between Masters of Mixes and something you make at home.
I guess a good horseradish would make a difference. Fresh spices maybe. But otherwise just use that mix if you like it.

I actually nix the horseradish in mine, but make it extra spicy with lots of black pepper and a dash of good habanero sauce. Maybe that's frowned upon, but fuck it it's a meal type drink not a purist thing.

I bet it might be cool with like a dash of curry spices or some wasabi...
Yeah I don't know what it is, mine always have this weird aftertaste or something. They just don't taste as fresh as the mix. I was looking today at wikipedia and found this, which sounds good, though I'm not a huge fan of gin:

Bloody Murder
Gin replacing vodka, black vinegar replacing worcestershire sauce, wasabi sauce replacing horseradish, served with a cherry tomato pierced with a plastic sword stirrer

I'm wondering if I could work a garlic ponzu into something. I may be pushing it.

And zagadka, where does one purchase tamarind nectar? A special market or is it widely available? I don't think I've ever purchased a nectar of any kind.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I've never been able to stomach bloody mary's.. they are just, goooooo. But, I don't like tomato juice either.

Tamarind nectar can be purchased in any Mexican market. Its comes in a can, you can also get other flavors like mango. Wherever there's Jarritos, there's tamarind nectar! You can get tamarind pods and make it yourself, but you'd have to boil them down quite a bit.

This is what I get:

[img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mex-grocer_2082_132722856[/img]

Tamarind anything is like catnip to me.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:42 pm
Captiv8

zagadka wrote:
I've never been able to stomach bloody mary's.. they are just, goooooo. But, I don't like tomato juice either.

Tamarind nectar can be purchased in any Mexican market. Its comes in a can, you can also get other flavors like mango. Wherever there's Jarritos, there's tamarind nectar! You can get tamarind pods and make it yourself, but you'd have to boil them down quite a bit.

This is what I get:

[img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/mex-grocer_2082_132722856[/img]

Tamarind anything is like catnip to me.

Bloody Mary's are disgusting, no doubt. My girlfriend has an unnatural affinity for them and I always try them, thinking that this time it's going to be different. It never is. It's just varying shades of nasty. It's like a tomato tried to makeout with me and then puked up it's spicy bile.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:58 pm
Raoul DeGroot

It's the horseradish I think. Makes it taste like sour bellybutton.

They look so good, but I remember the first time I had one it was like "You sick fucks!! Fucking Bloody Mary drinkers! This is what you've been drinking all this time??"
There's a fecundity to it alright.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:09 pm
tommi teardrop

A bad one can defintely be awful. But a good one can be like drinking a great liquidy salsa with that hint of booze. I'm not even a fan of tomato juice on its own, but you add all that spice and vodka and I am hooked. I could drink one (or two) every morning. I was a bit turned off when I found out worchester had anchovi paste. But oh well.

Probably my favorite drink just because of how different they can taste depending on the maker/mix. And if you drink it out of a mason jar, it tastes even better.

I'm having one when I get home.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm
_illness

icarus502 wrote:
I put Beam in this.

and it was good.
Post Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:58 pm
spagucci-one

Bloody mary's are tasty suckers! Those or "bloody beers" are my hangover cure. Both are basicly a spicy tomato drink.....
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:10 pm
Stumbleweed

the mean wrote:

Ha, I've heard and been annoyed by most of those. The only one I do is "wax poetic about meat I can't give up"... and that's really the only reason I'm not vegetarian.

People who bug vegetarians bug the fuck out of me. I respect the hell out of vegans; they're better people than I am in this arena. I just can't hang, so I try to buy well-raised meat as much as possible and limit my intake. Bacon is the meat I eat most often, and that's twice a week or so. Pork is by far my #1...

Anyway, today for a dinner party I'm doing an acorn and carnival squash soup with turmeric, ginger, and curry. Also some Aburaage Tofu w/ Shimegi mushrooms and braised baby bok choy in a sweetened red miso sauce. Vegetarian food doesn't have to suck and I pretty much always enjoy it. I just like food to much to limit my scope.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
futuristxen

I have too many vegan or vegatarianish friends to really hate on either(my last roomie was a vegan, and my bff is a vegetarian). I think it's a pretty amazing thing, and I wish that I had a diverse enough palate to get down that way. But I don't. I suck. I'm addicted to meat. If I gave it up it would make my life just a little bit more miserable.

I just think the copy cat food that vegans sometimes eat is hilariously comical.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:29 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

futuristxen wrote:

I just think the copy cat food that vegans sometimes eat is hilariously comical.

Which is dumb. Neither you nor omnivores in general own the right to either the shape of, say, the burger patty nor the broad spectrum of flavors that can include a hamburger and a veggie burger. The idea that there's some sort of proprietary infringement going on in "copycat" foods, is just silly.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:46 pm
futuristxen

icarus502 wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

Which is dumb. Neither you nor omnivores in general own the right to either the shape of, say, the burger patty nor the broad spectrum of flavors that can include a hamburger and a veggie burger. The idea that there's some sort of proprietary infringement going on in "copycat" foods, is just silly.

That's not why it's funny. It's funny that you would go so far as to reject a food, even as you desire to eat it's symbol. Why go through so much trouble to replicate chicken fingers that aren't as good as actual chicken fingers? Why make food that references other food, and is at best left to be the vegan version of--why not make something new and original that plays to the strengths of the food? The best vegan food is it's own thing IMO.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next