Search
Register
Atheists; the most hated group in America?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

futuristxen

tommi teardrop wrote:
I always thought you could claim Buddhist and get the nod from both sides. Cuz it's like you believe in god, but not in the same way as other people, so it works.

God is a joke.

And I want to send out a special fuck you to people that say "I'm not religious but I'm spirtitual. Or "I believe in something. Collective consciousness. Whatever you throw out there someone else can grab on to."

Fuck you, I'd rather you just believe in Jesus than trust in some neo hippy, vague pseudo religiosity that you learned from a Kevin Smith movie.

Some one on here said one time that is is crazy that they have to call themselves an atheist while people who do not believe in Leprechauns or Santa Claus do not need a name to define themselves. That's how I feel.

God is for weaklings and people that are sentimental about their upbringing.

I think it was Charlie Main that once said something about God that I agree with.

See. Atheists ARE angry people. Jesus, there's no God. We get it. Get over it.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 am
ecapataz

Hellen Earth wrote:
Huh?

Not believing in god is silly...like believing in god.

Believing in god is the silly perspective when you start to break down the reasoning for the beliefs.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:25 am
Inedible Condiment

ecapataz wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:
Huh?

Believing in god is the silly perspective when you start to break down the reasoning for the beliefs.

As an atheist... uhhhh. no.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:48 am
ecapataz

Inedible Condiment wrote:
ecapataz wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:
Huh?

As an atheist... uhhhh. no.

I'm not following.

If there's one perspective that can be labeled "silly" its definitely not the atheist perspective as logic is what defines it and not some ancient mistranslated text or supernatural faith in phenomena that defies all contemporary laws of the universe.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:54 am
Windom

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 am
Charlie Foxtrot

tommi teardrop wrote:
I always thought you could claim Buddhist and get the nod from both sides. Cuz it's like you believe in god, but not in the same way as other people, so it works.

God is a joke.

And I want to send out a special fuck you to people that say "I'm not religious but I'm spirtitual. Or "I believe in something. Collective consciousness. Whatever you throw out there someone else can grab on to."

Fuck you, I'd rather you just believe in Jesus than trust in some neo hippy, vague pseudo religiosity that you learned from a Kevin Smith movie.

Some one on here said one time that is is crazy that they have to call themselves an atheist while people who do not believe in Leprechauns or Santa Claus do not need a name to define themselves. That's how I feel.

God is for weaklings and people that are sentimental about their upbringing.

I think it was Charlie Main that once said something about God that I agree with.

Have you ever seen a Kevin Smith movie? He's a devout Christian, you know. Also the collective conscious is fine, if that's what you want to believe in. Maybe all our dreams are linked, like in Sandman.

"God is for weaklings"

Yeah, you tell that to Martin Luther King's memorial in DC
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:06 am
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

agnostics are grown up atheists.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:13 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Hellen Earth wrote:

People who think that agnosticism, as most people understand it, is different than atheism, as most people practice it, are mistaken and haven't thought about it much.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:42 am
Hellen Earth

Perhaps I am wrong, but isn't Agnosticism the name people give to the idea of "not knowing," and admitting the possibility of whatever, while Atheism is the focused belief of there being no god?
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 am
Hellen Earth

icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

People who think that agnosticism, as most people understand it, is different than atheism, as most people practice it, are mistaken and haven't thought about it much.

Instead of replying like a condescending dickarus, why don't you explain the hidden meanings of agnosticism and atheism, so that my feeble mind can comprehend?
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:56 am
redball

TurnpikeGates wrote:
redball wrote:
Previous discussions about atheism on this forum would support Hellen and Futurist's comments.

I dunno man. If antagonist, in this instance, just means "willing to debate the issue, given the chance" then yeah, I even I'm an antagonistic atheist.

But if you want to run numbers, theists are the ones most likely to be waving signs and blowing people up about the shit. I'd call that a bit more on the antagonistic side.

Really if anything, a lot of the comments in this discussion are dripping with irony over the "who cares" people caring so hard.

So "willing to debate the issue" is declaring all theists to be stupid, retarded, flawed, etc.? That is exactly what has happened here before. There is a contingent of atheists that are just as stupid and closed minded about this debate as the worst theists are, and some of them are here. Did you even look up any of the debates I mentioned or you just decided I was wrong on faith?

Also, I think if you run the numbers you'll find that there are a magnitude more theists in the world. That within that plurality there will be fringe extremes should be no surprise, especially to the superior intellect of the debate team atheist. The larger the group, the louder the extremists of that group have to yell to be heard. Likewise, the way you envision theists by thinking of these fringes, so do theists envision atheists by think of the smuggest, douchiest members of atheism, like Dawkins.

Personally, I think that applying the stereotypical fringe image to the entire mass of a group is a way in which we create divides, villianize larger groups, and avoid having a civil, logical debate. I believe a large portion of theists do this to atheists, but the inverse seems increasingly true as well.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:57 am
shambhala

icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

boom! this is like the whole deal right here. we're using these terms as they're defined in dictionaries, but icarus hits on an important point: the connotations both terms have are very different than what they literally mean. i take agnostic to mean, essentially, a person who recognizes that there is no logical reason to believe in a God and therefore does not have time for philosophies or ideas that push belief in such an entity, but also doesn't have enough contrary evidence to spend too much energy arguing the point with believers. the common connotation of "atheist" is someone who has (frankly with no real proof) become so gung ho on disbelief in God that they have to push that view onto others. that's who people think of when they answer a survey like that, i think. i'd like to see where agnostics fell in that survey, if it was even a category.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 am
futuristxen

The problem I have with agnosticism is that even that position is typically "either side could be right". Which is still in it's own mindless way trapped in the same little thought trap.

I was an athiest earlier today, because netflix didn't have big lebowski on netflix. But now after seeing Antichrist, I'm some kind of theist. After I finish this pizza, I will probably be back to not caring either way. I personally find that fluidity helpful, but I can certainly see why others need to be very rigid and firm on these sorts of matters. I think too much of our identity within society is staked upon our relation to matters like this which are largely unimportant, and as Redball says, usually divisive.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 am
Hellen Earth

shambhala wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:

boom! this is like the whole deal right here. we're using these terms as they're defined in dictionaries, but icarus hits on an important point: the connotations both terms have are very different than what they literally mean. i take agnostic to mean, essentially, a person who recognizes that there is no logical reason to believe in a God and therefore does not have time for philosophies or ideas that push belief in such an entity, but also doesn't have enough contrary evidence to spend too much energy arguing the point with believers. the common connotation of "atheist" is someone who has (frankly with no real proof) become so gung ho on disbelief in God that they have to push that view onto others. that's who people think of when they answer a survey like that, i think. i'd like to see where agnostics fell in that survey, if it was even a category.

This response definitely clears things up for me. So agnostics are basically more refined atheists? : )
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:18 am
shambhala

agnostics are people who acknowledge that they're not getting messages from God, so who the fuck knows what the deal is. all things considered, live and let live. it's not wishy washy, it's much more sensible than atheism, from my perspective.
Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next