Search
Register
Atheists; the most hated group in America?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

futuristxen

TurnpikeGates wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Athiests can tend to be a bit antagonistic, especially toward christianity. It's understandable, but it is a bit of a bore. I think to be an athiest you do sort of have to care enough to develop that point, generally.

I think agnostics are much easier dinner company.

I don't buy this. The reason why atheists are not victims of hate crimes is because atheism is basically an invisible ideology. There is no atheist cross to hang around your neck, or atheist clothes to wear, or an atheist gender to be seen holding hands with. And that's also why I don't buy your claim that atheists are antagonistic. Probably half the people you know who are atheists are just quiet about the fact. It's like the stupid anti-vegetarian claims: "Man, I don't care what you eat, but just don't get in my face about it, man!" Straw man.

Agnosticism is fine for those who are struggling over the idea of god. But atheism shouldn't be restricted to those who make a big point of disbelieving in god. I don't believe in god, and I accept that I could be wrong. So maybe you'd call me an agnostic. But I'm also agnostic toward the existence of Santa Claus and lizard people, then. At what point can we just say "I don't believe in god" and it's accepted that obviously I don't have any special knowledge disproving a higher being?

Point being, agnosticism is kind of a cop-out, unless you for some reason tend to believe there's something out there.

See this is what I'm talking about. It's all this that or the other. Why does the god question have to be so important that you have to pick a label for it? I don't care about caring about god.

I think saying "we don't believe in god!" is an inherently antagonistic position, and I think it still buys into the dichotomy that you have to either believe or disbelieve.

It's like:
"I love baseball"
"I hate baseball"

Either way that's a strident position that wants to require you to "pick a side".

I love records.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:15 pm
marshall84

As a born-again atheist, I'd like to say that I resent post-Christian types that believe in "energy" and some vague, holistic "consciousness" more than fundamentalists. At least the fundamentalists believe that an objective truth exists and are interested in discovering it.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:19 pm
futuristxen

Somedays I pray to Superman.

I would advise against praying to Batman though. Kind of a dickhole.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 pm
redball

Previous discussions about atheism on this forum would support Hellen and Futurist's comments.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 pm
futuristxen

marshall84 wrote:
. At least the fundamentalists believe that an objective truth exists and are interested in discovering it.

I wish more people were interested in discovering hot dogs than objective truths tbh. Then we could get some real work done.

Imagine if you will, high rise cathedrals made entirely out of weiners. And instead of a bell tower, every day at some indetermined time the giant ketchup bottle that is the steeple, would explode down onto the rest of the building, and all of the towsnfolk would gather and eat the building and whoever was trapped inside.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:25 pm
kese

Disharmony wrote:
Oh Daesu wrote:
Agnostics are atheists who are afraid to admit it.
Nope.

Being agnostic, to
me, means not having enough information to prove that there arent unexplainable forces in the universe. These forces i'll call 'god'. Or i'd like to think of 'god' as either the entirety of the infinite universe, or... whatever may be outside of it, that started everything off.
Of course i don't believe in an omnipotent anthropomorpic being in the clouds, or take Biblical stories literally...
But science needs to get it's game up to prove that everything can be explained away. Until then, 'god' will continue to exist in my mind as a means for explaining the unexplainable. it's a subtle philosophical humility.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

futuristxen wrote:
Somedays I pray to Superman.

I would advise against praying to Batman though. Kind of a dickhole.

That my dear, was strait up funny!
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
neveragainlikesheep

People who like to argue about this kind of shit are the worst humanity has to offer. Can't stand 'em, either way. Egocentric, self-centered, self-important assholes without humanity love to argue about whether there is or is not a god.

Might as well be arguing about whether or not there is extraterrestrial life in the universe. It'd at least get the imagination going.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:53 pm
Disharmony

kese wrote:
Disharmony wrote:
Oh Daesu wrote:
Agnostics are atheists who are afraid to admit it.
Nope.

Being agnostic, to
me, means not having enough information to prove that there arent unexplainable forces in the universe. These forces i'll call 'god'. Or i'd like to think of 'god' as either the entirety of the infinite universe, or... whatever may be outside of it, that started everything off.
Of course i don't believe in an omnipotent anthropomorpic being in the clouds, or take Biblical stories literally...
But science needs to get it's game up to prove that everything can be explained away. Until then, 'god' will continue to exist in my mind as a means for explaining the unexplainable. it's a subtle philosophical humility.
For me, being an agnostic just means that I do not know. I don't follow, or believe in any monotheistic or polytheistic religions. In fact, I find them to be quite ridiculous. I find the idea of a "God" to be pretty slim. Something that cares and loves us? Doubtful. I am basically sitting on the fence. My idea of a god would be something that created what we now call existence. It be stupid to say that there is no possibility that an omnipotent creator doesn't exist. So many things in this world blow my mind on a daily basis that I cannot rule anything out. Shit, just look at the complexity of a human eye, or a cell.

I'm going to play it smart and say yeah, I have no idea if there is some sort of god. I am pretty sure all the ideas of gods that have be presented in gospel thus far are ridiculous though.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:57 pm
DM

What? Atheists have it the worst? Tell that to anyone who rocks a turban.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:57 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

How about your mothers side tried to raised you Catholic
Your fathers side:southern Baptist.

and
you chose to walk away

and now your alone..........

What do you do then..

My answer: Be Memorie
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:02 pm
futuristxen

For a time my family went to a church that operated out of a carpet store.

Check. And Mate!
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:09 pm
Disharmony

Mem, chill the fuck out.
Thanks.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:10 pm
Alan Hague

prolific memorie wrote:
let me restate I believe in nothing

Nihilist!

I would disapprove if my child wanted to marry a member of this group.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:21 pm
prolific memorie

Disharmony wrote:
Mem, chill the fuck out.
Thanks.

Im not upset,about this convo.
It's the least of my worries.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next