Search
Register
Atheists; the most hated group in America?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

let me restate I believe in nothing
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shambhala

the mean wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:
I have found a lot of atheists to be just as stupid and bull headed as christians, they just think they are cooler.

I always thought that every single atheist was smarter and more understanding than every single Christian. Thanks for clearing that up. What an incredible addition to the conversation.

I thought that was a decent point actually Hellen, and when people think "atheist" they're probably making the connection to people who object to nativity scenes at schools or the ten commandments in courtrooms, etc. Clearly unconstitutional, yet very popular, displays of traditional American Christian values that have in the last thirty years been pushed back by the ACLU and other organizations looking to cement the secular nature of the country. I think people are more inclined to think of that kind of "atheist," not just someone who disbelieves in God. Moreover, despite Mean's typically snarky remark, if I'm right about Hellen's point, there are a lot of Atheists out there who feel it's their business to convince people they're idiots for believing in God instead of letting them have their (probably delusional) beliefs. Nobody likes that; so it's a numbers game at that point. Most Americans (90%) believe in God, so it's not hard to understand why they'd respond this way about Atheists, a group who they've probably encountered far more often than say Muslims or Homosexuals.

But I don't understand what's meant by "Atheists." I think that word has a connotation for people that might not connect with what the word actually means. Like, I am a Buddhist, but I'm not sure that I'm who the respondents are thinking of when they think of Atheist. And do they mean, anyone who disbelieves in God, or only those who feel that they have to push their view on others? It's like the term "christian" for me; I have some prejudices when people talk about "christians" but rarely do I actually meet one of the ones that I read about or see on TV that need to be drug out in the street and shot. I might answer a survey about christians unfairly due to prejudices that actually don't connect to my daily experience of people of the christian faith.
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Not even John Lennon?
Disharmony

My blood cells have halos.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:42 pm
Sarcastro

prolific memorie wrote:
let me restate I believe in nothing

well thank god that's cleared up.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:48 pm
R. Kamidees

I've been murdered twice for being an atheist.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:48 pm
TurnpikeGates

futuristxen wrote:
Athiests can tend to be a bit antagonistic, especially toward christianity. It's understandable, but it is a bit of a bore. I think to be an athiest you do sort of have to care enough to develop that point, generally.

I think agnostics are much easier dinner company.

I don't buy this. The reason why atheists are not victims of hate crimes is because atheism is basically an invisible ideology. There is no atheist cross to hang around your neck, or atheist clothes to wear, or an atheist gender to be seen holding hands with. And that's also why I don't buy your claim that atheists are antagonistic. Probably half the people you know who are atheists are just quiet about the fact. It's like the stupid anti-vegetarian claims: "Man, I don't care what you eat, but just don't get in my face about it, man!" Straw man.

Agnosticism is fine for those who are struggling over the idea of god. But atheism shouldn't be restricted to those who make a big point of disbelieving in god. I don't believe in god, and I accept that I could be wrong. So maybe you'd call me an agnostic. But I'm also agnostic toward the existence of Santa Claus and lizard people, then. At what point can we just say "I don't believe in god" and it's accepted that obviously I don't have any special knowledge disproving a higher being?

Point being, agnosticism is kind of a cop-out, unless you for some reason tend to believe there's something out there.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:50 pm
marshall84

R. Kamidees wrote:
I've been murdered twice for being an atheist.

I'm in a gang of atheists holed up in the Heart of America. We'll lynch some Christians and avenge your death seven-fold. (That's 14 Christians.)

Last edited by marshall84 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:53 pm
Oh Daesu

Agnostics are atheists who are afraid to admit it.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:54 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

Sage Francis wrote:
Not even John Lennon?

I "......" he existed , made beautiful music. He also helped me to sing.

mem
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 pm
kese

sweet jesus...
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Plum Puddin'

It can be hard not to come off as antagonistic when you're having a conversation with someone who thinks that a man in the clouds is watching everything you do & if you telepathically tell him you accept him as THE ONE ALL LOVING GAWD you wont be burned & slaughtered by his almighty wrath coz you never even ate the thin wafer that was a symbol of his zombie son's cadaver who he sent to our world to die because a rib-lady ate an apple that she wasn't meant to.

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:03 pm
futuristxen

Plum Puddin' wrote:
It can be hard not to come off as antagonistic when you're having a conversation with someone who thinks that a man in the clouds is watching everything you do & if you telepathically tell him you accept him as THE ONE ALL LOVING GAWD you wont be burned & slaughtered by his almighty wrath coz you never even ate the thin wafer that was a symbol of his zombie son's cadaver who he sent to our world to die because a rib-lady ate an apple that she wasn't meant to.

It's actually not. Having grown up in one of the more crazy christian places in the US, I can say the best approach is to not bring it up, and not concern yourself so much with it. It's someone else's beliefs.

I treat christians and athiests the same way. I change the subject. Otherwise it just becomes a big thing. And it's really not that important to me. Or the ways it is, I understand to be deeply personal and completely silly.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:08 pm
Disharmony

Oh Daesu wrote:
Agnostics are atheists who are afraid to admit it.
Nope.
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 pm
prolific memorie

Plum Puddin' wrote:

absolutely awesome .... actually scared me for a sec, that i saw it
Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next