Search
Register
Suggested readings on politics and its history.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

benjy compson

read anything & everything authored by
the following gentlemen:

john berger

eduardo galeano

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:26 pm
McTools

penchant 4 wrote:

Since I was not even taught the ho-hum view of history, (or failed to pay attention to it because I was so alienated from everything in my daily life [massive distrust of people, feeling of alienation from peers, genuine fear of waking up every day knowing what i faced]), I feel the need to learn what the fuck it is that they were trying to teach to me.

But I don't want to learn it like i'm a 6th grader. I want the least amount of propaganda possible, while still receiving a view of history as if important figures made these emphatic, societal-changing impacts upon our country's philosophies.

Basically what I mean is that I don't want to read a 4th grade book about U.S. history. I want to read a college-level book that uses the same general pedagogy but is a bit more advanced and sophisticated (a 20 year old brain is hopefully more advanced than an 8 year old brain).

I simply never learned history as would be taught to us by the Establishment. And I never learned it as taught by someone by Zinn. Hehe.. .. I just want to hear it both ways.

But my point is, I want to learn it the traditional way the BEST way possible so that I'm not stuck with some bullshit 5th grade book that tells me about legislation, presidential figures, and judgmental decisions as if they define the history of the country. There has to be some books that don't take it to that extreme. And those are the books I want to find.

SIMPLE!!! I DON"T EVEN KNOW SHIT ABOUT HISTORY! FACT! FACT! FACT! I DON"T KNOW THE "FACTS" ..... but i want to know the "facts".

THen I want to know what really went down. Which I have learned through Zinn. But without the regular, vulgar knowledge of the history, it is difficult to put the Zinn shit into perspective.

I'm looking for the BEST possible reads to learn the ".... FACTS ..... " of history.

Before I try to interpret.

HAAAA

LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG post.

sorry for the minor scuffle that might result. I'm still up.

Like Joshua said, your looking for the wrong thing, facts. You should read EVERY thing you can and see what makes sense to you. There are almost no truths in this world and even fewer facts, these terms are both used by people and groups to convince you of their reality, but that's theirs, not yours. Just remember, take every thing with a grain of salt, uh, don't want to sound like a ass hole, but that means take nothing at it's face value, question it all. And have fun!
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:20 pm
Dan Shay

Niccolò Machiavelli's The Prince

Antonio Gramsci's Prison Notebooks

Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto

Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison

The Federalist Papers

Leo Strauss's The City And Man

Thats enough for now.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm
AdamBomb

Dan Shay wrote: