Search
Register
what just happened at the VMAs?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

AdamBomb

futuristxen wrote:
if you don't recognize the talent in a 19 year old girl who has dominated both pop and country charts for several years

What? She's 19? I thought she was like 15. The media is making it seem like he stomped out a little child.
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 pm
Confidential

jehu wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
I'm sure he calls them things much worse than Jackass. However, he probably isn't asked about those people in a casual setting when he's unsure if the microphone is live or not.

perfectly stated.

icarus, of course he's not gonna call ANY politician a jackass ON RECORD. that would just invite obvious trouble. he's not a pussy, he's playing the game. and doesn't it seem logical not to have your allies running around running their mouths calling people assholes?!? that doesn't do him or his team ANY good whatsoever regardless of how much WE the people would love to hear it be said.

I don't know if Icarus meant that Obama should literally being calling politicians and fox news people jackasses. he's playing the game like a pussy. everyone knows him for eloquence, so why can't he use his public speaking skills to switch up his tone to a firm one that calls the right out for their shit?
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:45 pm
Alan Hague

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 pm
redball

I hope you'll forgive me, Futuristxen, for not being impressed. Modern pop country has the shallowest talent pool of all the pop categories. Pop music aimed at young teens has a tradition of being devoid of any depth. The fan base of both of those, country and pop, traditionally cares very little about the quality of the content, instead desiring something that sounds a certain way or has a shallow pedantic message. So, to be successful at the cross section of all of this simply doesn't impress me on its face. To impress me I would have to be presented with outstanding content that proves the artist has transcended the crappiness of their genre.

Beyond that, I think you are more likely to see the teen idol effect than not. Someone makes some great music for teens, tweens, or maybe even college kids, but then their audience grows up and so do they. When she's no longer the virginal innocent girl talking to kids of her generation she'll be a washed up has-been struggling to make a comeback. She has to grow as an artist and evolve with her fanbase if she's not going to suffer that fate. Only time will tell. Though, I have to say that I've noticed country fans seem to expect less evolution from their stars.

I actually gave this Swift girl a chance, I listened to her music. It's more than I can say for most modern country. I don't appreciate her, I'm underwhelmed. And I'm at the end of my capacity to talk about her.
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15 pm
AdamBomb

redball wrote:
I hope you'll forgive me, Futuristxen, for not being impressed. Modern pop country has the shallowest talent pool of all the pop categories. Pop music aimed at young teens has a tradition of being devoid of any depth. The fan base of both of those, country and pop, traditionally cares very little about the quality of the content, instead desiring something that sounds a certain way or has a shallow pedantic message. So, to be successful at the cross section of all of this simply doesn't impress me on its face. To impress me I would have to be presented with outstanding content that proves the artist has transcended the crappiness of their genre.

Beyond that, I think you are more likely to see the teen idol effect than not. Someone makes some great music for teens, tweens, or maybe even college kids, but then their audience grows up and so do they. When she's no longer the virginal innocent girl talking to kids of her generation she'll be a washed up has-been struggling to make a comeback. She has to grow as an artist and evolve with her fanbase if she's not going to suffer that fate. Only time will tell. Though, I have to say that I've noticed country fans seem to expect less evolution from their stars.

I actually gave this Swift girl a chance, I listened to her music. It's more than I can say for most modern country. I don't appreciate her, I'm underwhelmed. And I'm at the end of my capacity to talk about her.

I'm not into her music, but she is good at what she does. She gets bonus points for being a positive image to young girls and writing her own music. I don't see a difference in Modern Pop Country vs. Modern Popular Hip hop or Pop in shallow talent levels. If anything, I think there is more of an emphasis to sing and less of an emphasis on sex appeal and dancing. Jus sayin...
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:29 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ruffiano

http://kanyegate.tumblr.com/
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 pm
Travadone

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:30 pm
Travadone

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:37 pm
futuristxen

redball wrote:

Again. You're talking out of your ass. Like you said, you don't listen to modern country. Yet you feel free to extrapolate what her demographic is.

She writes and performs really good pop songs. Her sales fully attest to both of these facts. Don't know why you don't think she can't age gracefully. It's not like you just forget how to write songs.
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:38 pm
Travadone

id lick taylor swifts butth0le

and ask god to play it again...
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 pm
Travadone

futuristxen wrote:
redball wrote:

Again. You're talking out of your ass. Like you said, you don't listen to modern country. Yet you feel free to extrapolate what her demographic is.

She writes and performs really good pop songs. Her sales fully attest to both of these facts. Don't know why you don't think she can't age gracefully. It's not like you just forget how to write songs.
yo futur im real happy for u and ima let u finish but u a cool dude playin a chick and id let u touch it a lil bit
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm
True School Session

Yo Red I'm gonna let you finish, but Trav had one of the best posts of all time.

Travadone wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
redball wrote:

yo futur im real happy for u and ima let u finish but u a cool dude playin a chick and id let u touch it a lil bit
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 pm
tommi teardrop

redball, you are way out of your element here. Taylor Swift is one of the most successful songwriters on the planet right now. Her ability is not going to be exposed anytime soon. She is probably the first truly successful crossover country artist in forever. Her songs are being played on top 40 and rap/Rnb radio. She is legit. F'real.

She is not a puppet like a lot of these people. She runs her shit.
Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 am
DM

Redball: Here's a great article on Swift, http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2008/11/10/081110crmu_music_frerejones

You might not dig her songs, or care about her genre, but she is great at what she does. And she does run all her own shit. She's way better than people in her genre. I don't love any of her songs, but that doesn't mean I can't see why they're considered great.
Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:20 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next