Search
Register
The whole Healthcare Reform thing...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

AdamBomb

The whole Healthcare Reform thing...  Reply with quote  

I try to keep up with current events/politics in the news, so its not hard to see the barrage of coverage about Obama's push for Healthcare Reform. Much has been made of lack of support for the proposed changes and slipping approval ratings for the president. I have a theory that the reason that people are taking issue and plan is in jeopardy is that people don't understand anything about it (and that includes me).

Why can't things be broken down in layman's terms or explained simply? I think people fear that this complicated legislation will pass through before people understand what happened (remember the Patriot Act?). I understant we need change (I have lots of family and friends without coverage). But what are they saying they want to do exactly?

Anybody else feel this way?
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:49 pm
neveragainlikesheep

It has been explained. There's just a lot of people who are too busy listening to right wing (read: mainstream) media outlets and being scared of the black guy we call our President to know whats good for them.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:51 pm
Jelly87

Well, ok.

Theres a war on terror. Have you ever seen CNN?

Well let me start from the beginning...

Saddam hussein, has the oil.

We have decided to help the people of Israel...to give our oil back to us.

By defeating Saddam Hussein.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 pm
AdamBomb

neveragainlikesheep wrote:

It has been explained. There's just a lot of people who are too busy listening to right wing (read: mainstream) media outlets and being scared of the black guy we call our President to know whats good for them.

Can't check videos from where I'm at, but I will later. Thanks, man.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 pm
Oh Daesu

This couldn't have been posted in any number of threads about the healthcare issue?
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 pm
futuristxen

Here's the thing in short bullet points, straight from the president's website:

If You Have Health Insurance,
the President's Plan:

-Ends discrimination against people with pre-existing conditions.
-Limits premium discrimination based on gender and age.
-Prevents insurance companies from dropping coverage when people are sick and need it most.
-Caps out-of-pocket expenses so people don’t go broke when they get sick.
-Eliminates extra charges for preventive care like mammograms, flu shots and diabetes tests to improve health and save money.
Protects Medicare for seniors.
-Eliminates the “donut-hole” gap in coverage for prescription drugs.

If You Don’t Have Insurance,
the President's Plan:

-Creates a new insurance marketplace — the Exchange — that allows people without insurance and small businesses to compare plans and buy insurance at competitive prices.
-Provides new tax credits to help people buy insurance.
-Provides small businesses tax credits and affordable options for covering employees.
-Offers a public health insurance option to provide the uninsured and those who can’t find affordable coverage with a real choice.
-Immediately offers new, low-cost coverage through a national “high risk” pool to protect people with preexisting conditions from financial ruin until the new Exchange is created.

For All Americans,
the President's Plan:

-Won’t add a dime to the deficit and is paid for upfront.
-Requires additional cuts if savings are not realized.
-Implements a number of delivery system reforms that begin to rein in health care costs and align incentives for hospitals, physicians, and others to improve quality.
-Creates an independent commission of doctors and medical experts to identify waste, fraud and abuse in the health care system.
-Orders immediate medical malpractice reform projects that could help doctors focus on putting their patients first, not on practicing defensive medicine.
-Requires large employers to cover their employees and individuals who can afford it to buy insurance so everyone shares in the responsibility of reform.

The key points for me personally are eliminating the pre-existing conditions bullshit. Bringing the price of insurance down and universal coverage.

It also does advocate a public option as a means to control cost.

And it won't cost the taxpayer a dime on the deficit. It will be paid for upfront.

So there you go.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 pm
AdamBomb

That's exactly what I was looking for. Real nice of you to take the time to get that info, futuristxen. Thank you :)

All these changes seem pretty legit. I don't see what the big resistance is. I hope there isn't a bunch of pork to entice states to vote for this. Seems like a win for everybody. I wish there was a provision to limit malpractice, but one thing at a time, I guess. If you know any doctors, they all complain the malpractice insurance is sky high.

I found debate in some of the other threads, so I apologize if there is some overlap with this one.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 pm
futuristxen

Oh that's the other thing. Obama is doing some pilot programs across the country, to try out a diffrent system to reform malpractice. It was originally a bush program, but apparently he's put it into action "today".

And he spent time in his speech saying that he agreed that that was a good idea, and republicans didn't know what to do. Some stood and applauded, others kept waving their birth certificates, and others just sat like idiots.
Post Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 pm
selfworth

yeah really, there are so many rep. assfaces. i wish people could remember that he is our president and he deserves some sort of respect, atleast enough not to call him a liar in the middle of his speech and not texting during it either (that douche was probably on twitter like some sort of high school teen queen). if all that obama said comes to be this will be huge for our country.
Post Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 am
Majawala

so all the hate is racism right? why else would people be against healthcare besides the cost. but didnt he say its paid for somehow?
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

This photocollage gives a nice summation to the opposition for healthcare reform:

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm
RealJustice

the mean wrote:
This photocollage gives a nice summation to the opposition for healthcare reform:

Haha. Thanks for sharing.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:13 pm
phataccino

I don't know if I've ever seen someone quite as pleased with them self as the African lion/lyin' African lady.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm
Scottie

The Kaiser Family Foundation is doing top notch work on tracking Healthcare reform news and proposals.

Here is the best side by side by side by side comparison of all the current plans proposed I have seen.

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/healthreform_sbs_full.pdf

I recommend www.kff.org for cutting through the loads of BS you hear on radio and TV to just straight up facts.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:56 pm
The Count

Majawala wrote:
so all the hate is racism right? why else would people be against healthcare besides the cost. but didnt he say its paid for somehow?

God I hate this shit. The crazies are crazies, and they're going to hate. But the vast majority of people who oppose healthcare reform do so because they're misinformed about the facts of the situation, not because of racial prejudices.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next