Search
Register
People of Walmart
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Captiv8

Degroot, this isn't a class issue. It's a funny issue. I'll laugh just as easily at the douchebag in the $2000 suit as I will the guy in the wife beater and Day-Glo thong.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:08 pm
Inedible Condiment

DeGroot... you sound silly here... I'm reading your posts and they scream "CAN'T YOU SEE THAT POOR PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD TO NOT LOOK SILLY?!?! ALL POOR PEOPLE LOOK STUPID, STOP LAUGHING!!!!"
I apologise if I'm missing the point, but that's what I'm getting from you here. Being poor doesn't make you dress weird, so being laughed at for dressing weird doesn't equate to laughing at poverty.

EDIT: It occurs to me that this website: http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ could be construed by your logic as wrong to laugh at. I mean, they can't help it that they can afford gym memberships, copious ammounts of gel, tanning sessions and $200 shirts to pop the collar on, they're rich! Stop laughing!
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Jesus. You guys are aggressively misreading Raoul. So much so that it would be pointless to try clarifying, since that will be misread too, just as aggressively.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:15 pm
Inedible Condiment

icarus502 wrote:
Jesus. You guys are aggressively misreading Raoul. So much so that it would be pointless to try clarifying, since that will be misread too, just as aggressively.

Go on, explain please.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:21 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

On that site Douche bags and what not. It asked why there are so few redheads with D.B's pics. And if they are immune to douche bag behavior.
Well as a redhead i say, Yes, I am.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Raoul DeGroot

He took that bullet for your kind. Like a ginger jesus.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:31 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

Above shown alien creature does not count!
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
redball

I knew several third shift Wal-Mart employees in Ohio. They were fine people. Wal-Mart attracts all kinds of people, and of those people you will surely get the poor and lower class. They're easy to spot because when you see them you think you've verified the stereotypical Wal-Mart shopper, yet you don't realize that you're obviously shopping there and are probably more like the normal shopper than they are.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 pm
redball

prolific memorie wrote:
On that site Douche bags and what not. It asked why there are so few redheads with D.B's pics. And if they are immune to douche bag behavior.
Well as a redhead i say, Yes, I am.

Two things: Redheads and douche bags are both minorities. The cross-section must be terribly small.

Also, douche bags typically strive to be something they're not. They try for some abstract version of "perfect" that redheads never fall into. Never. Douche bags are less likely to go for redheads, and if a redhead becomes a douche bag they are more likely to dye their hair to try to appear as a more perfect person.

There's no immunity, we just rarely cross and don't fit the douche bag world view when we do.
Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:41 pm
Plum Puddin'

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:52 pm
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

icarus502 wrote:

He's being aggressively obnoxious though. You could apply his statement to almost anything and turn any thread into a guilt trip. The fact is we're not laughing at the misfortune of others, we're laughing at people wearing no pants in a supermarket. Everyone has pants, they just choose to wear them or not. I don't care how socially inept you are, you wear pants in public. If you don't then it's probably worth a chuckle.

If this site was called www.peopleofjcpenney.com or some shit he would have no leg to stand on and I bet you could find just as many goofy pictures.
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:17 am
Motzarooney

i definitely had a bad taste in my mouth when i saw first saw this page.

all of these blogspot-styled websites (did it all start with stuffwhitepeoplelike?) seem often to be observations rooted in class and race. My suspicion is that it's because the audiences of these websites tend to be of the young, internet hyper-savvy, "post racial" (bullshit) folks. I think these folks closely correlate to specific classes themselves.

my problem is, the object of the walmart website joke is totally distinct from its intended audience. with stuffwhitepeoplelike, which imo was really more about class then it was race, it was good satire because many of the folks reading that site were both audience and object. you think many of these walmart folks are in on the joke?

also, walmart is a great place to get props and equipment for shows or films or whatever, because you can return the stuff within 30 days with no receipt and no questions asked.
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:09 am
sick_transit

I don't think that peopleofwalmart is rooted in any class or race, unless you consider ridiculous a race or the lack of class a class. Society's norms dictate that if you want to go outside, you had better wear some pants or shorts that will at least cover your asscheeks. If you don't, you become subject to being stared at, pointed towards, and made fun of. I don't care if your black, white, rich, or poor.

Now Wal-Mart seems to attract many of these types of people, but that's because Wal-Mart is huge and everyone likes a good deal. Now let me laugh at people with mullets and guys sagging their pants below their asses.
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:31 pm
Jelly87

jakethesnake had me rollin with the line "everyone has pants" idk why, but i busted out laughing. true story.

anyway, i think futur did get it down right. i live in jersey, and most of the cashiers at walmart look like they wanna kill u.

I live in a kind of small urban town thats located in the middle of an upper class town, and newark nj. there is one walmart that everyone goes to. you get mostly middle class people who just want to save money. i dont do grocery shopping at walmart cuz mostly all they have at the one near me is cereal and some microwavable foods. but if i need house supplies, toiletries, digi cam or any other useful product, if walmart carries it its most likely cheap and that means im down.
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:46 pm
Raoul DeGroot

Even though you guys are doing this weirdo thing where your mind shuts down because of some crazy self consciousness about being self conscience, I'm going to try one last thing.

Start with mullets-

1.Have you ever seen a sophisticated person wear an unironic mullet? How often does that occur? You have many friends who style with one of those cuts?

2.Can we agree that most mullet wearers nowadays are working class to poor?

3.Do you believe that the reason someone decides to wear a mullet is because of some mysterious propensity towards the ridiculous that is a part of their nature? Not related to their culture?

4.If this Mullet trait is more common among the poor/working class as we agreed (I hope) above, but isn't related to their upbringing -Doesn't this then imply that there is a real difference between the people who are rich and poor? Wouldn't that be a bogus, Ayn Randian kind of idea to have?

5.If poor people are more prone to have outdated taste in hairstyles and that outdated taste doesn't come from their surrounding culture, then where does it come from?

This applies to the garish noveau rich types as well. The douchebags absolutely have the same thing going on, just from a slightly different spot on the money scale. You don't have to feel sorry for them. Just know why it's there and why it looks funny to you. Somebody's doing something stupid and they're oblivious to it.

You guys are making this too hard for yourselves. People have been making fun of rednecks for their lack of sophistication, seemingly strange behavior, and clumsy, garish taste in fashion for literally millenia. Like from the moment we had towns in the first place!

In the south you hear kids refer to people as 'Cuntry' when they have bad taste or are kind of unschooled in social norms (manners, etc). That's what the dudes are! They are Country! It's Okay! It's still funny! You're laughing at them for being ignorant or fucked up!
http://www.HotGhettoMess.com <- some people are open about what they're doing. And don't have to use Walmart as some kind of red herring. It's Ghetto. It's a Mess. Boom. Simple. Easy.

If you guys weren't so cagey and bashful you could enjoy life and stop licking the internets baallzzz

Last edited by Raoul DeGroot on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:31 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next