Search
Register
My new blog about Jared Paul & Lord of the Rings
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Jared Paul

Disharmony wrote:
Jared. I know you view the movies as shitting on the original story...but come on. The film was made to entertain, not to school people on LOTR history. They were entertaining and the storyline fit well in their own context. Maybe I will feel this animosity when the Hobbit films come out. Until then I don't understand, I just don't. :(

And I don't want to take that from you- the Allegory Cave dwellers thought the world of their shadow puppets. However, there's an indescribably better world right around the corner... all you have to do is believe: there is a sky, there is a sun, there are forests and birds and rivers... kill the Peter Jackson virus in your heart and step through the star gate.

This thread was posted by Mr. Francis in good fun to share a funny exchange we had and to touch on the success of the PFA summer tour, but also, for his own personal yucks at watching the forum react to how honestly SACRILEGIOUS I feel these movies are. I'm sure he's gotten a laugh or two out of it... as have I... but... though I dig you Disharmony, and definitely find you to be a smart and valuable contributor to this forum, if you're a lover of those movies but not willing to bare some harsh criticism of them, this is probably not the thread for you. ( :

*also, as far as not understanding is concerned, I've laid it out pretty clearly... in the exchange with Francis at the beginning of this thread and the ensuing posts after. It's all there. It's all in good fun... but seriously, FUCK THESE MOVIES.
Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
medicineman
HALFLING

Couldn't agree with you more, Jared. To be fair I've never made it all through the third one but I saw no reason to force myself to after Gandalf whacked Denethor with his staff right in front of the elite Gondor guards and they barely even react instead of killing the shit out of Gandalf on the spot and Mordor be damned. I thought the movies were absolutely trash...they were pretty movies filled with pretty people, but that's about all that they had going for them. Some of the casting might have even been good if the scripts were worth a shit. The towns and structures look good, some of the makeup looks good, some good special effects (and some terrible) and that's about where the good ends. Not only were they murdering a piece of my childhood with every ongoing minute, what really pissed me off about it was the outpouring of critical acclaim when THEY WERE NOT EVEN GOOD MOVIES. I didn't see hardly any professional reviews of any of those three movies that did not give them four stars or whatever the highest rating was. Are you freaking serious? A freaking best picture Oscar? Fucking Hollywood dickriding. Shitty acting not being helped out any by the wooden and watered-down dialogue. It's like they're trying to walk an ADD third-grader through this incredibly rich and complex story arc. I would acknowledge the argument that they were just trying to make some entertaining movies out of this story if they were in any way good or entertaining movies. I don't see how any actual fan of the books could not feel betrayed by them, and I don't see how anyone who wasn't already familiar with the story could actually think these movies were worth a shit either. Die, Peter Jackson, Die. Any actual work of artistic merit you created in your life is now dead to me too.
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:52 pm
emceesaye

Damn Manic drop that knowledge home boy!!
Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:41 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3