Brother Ali : Downloading vs Buying music
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

penchant 4

FEIGN EDx

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:45 am
SteveJB

A lot of what you just said about digital vs film cameras isn't true.

Quote:

and then you can spend massive amounts on accessories, such as flashes, and a multitude of lenses.

Quote:

To add upon the value of traditional photography, you have to deal with issues like depth of field (blurring objects in the foreground, background, etc.), if you so choose. Ansel Adams created a camera that could make the entire depth of the picture crystal clear. So you can do with a traditional camera the same thing you can do with a digital. But with a digital camera you don't have the OPTION to blur things; the focus is automatically determined and the aesthetic quality of your photo is left to your camera. Of course, they probably make expensive digital cameras now that allow you to control these things as you can a traditional camera. But those cameras probably cost thousands.

Just noticed that last bit on second reading.
DSLRs aren't that expensive. Not much more than a really top point and shoot.

But you've basically written a huge post when you don't know what you are talking about, discussing the problems of digital cameras while unaware of what exists.

Then there's all the skill in digital photo manipulation etc.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:46 am
anomaly
Loserface

my KRK monitors are bigger and better than Brother Ali's.

nifty
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:12 am
jehu

9 out of 10 cd's seem to suck as far as booklet/art/extras go. vinyl for the win every time. and like sage has said, this topic has been beaten to the ground, probably more than once.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

jehu wrote:
9 out of 10 cd's seem to suck as far as booklet/art/extras go. .

even if, it still feels better when you have the actual album to add to the collection
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:29 am
futuristxen

Neuro wrote:
jehu wrote:
9 out of 10 cd's seem to suck as far as booklet/art/extras go. .

even if, it still feels better when you have the actual album to add to the collection

All of my cds end up scratched or lost. And trying to move a large cd collection just feels like a stupid thing. Cds feel like the cheapest musical medium out there. There's nothing aesthetically appealing about cds. I like looking at my music collection organized on my computer more than my cd one. I like just being able to keyword search in itunes my music collection and pull up what i want at any given moment, or hit shuffle, and go through all of the music in my collection without having to dig for the cd, put it in, and do that over and over. cds don't even sound that diffrent than the digital stuff. at least records sound diffrent.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 pm
penchant 4

KIDJLDJKCV|||| FIUCOLK <>>>>> DEIEAD

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:55 pm
pedavis

knowrites wrote:
Mr 9999 wrote:
Knowrites,
Not to take anything away from Ali, but "we have discussed it many times on the forum." And then some. Sometimes it depends who you hear the message from for it to sink in though.

not really that.
i just don't usually read those topics.
i buy most of my music, so i don't really feel like reading nine pages worth of people telling other people why they should pay for it.
i pay for mine, and i've kindof accepted that a lot of the people are going to just download it, and theres not a whole lot i can say to change their minds.

some people sure like to talk.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:37 pm
Coffee Black

futuristxen wrote:
If I get a physical copy, 9 times out of 10 I would prefer to get vinyl. A cd doesn't really feel personal, like Ali says it does. I don't feel like I'm owning 14 bucks worth of raw product with a CD. Whereas with a record, it just feels more substantial. I mean, for one it's physically bigger. The artwork is big enough that it matters. And you can display it proudly. And I think there's more investment in getting out a record to listen to than a cd or even tape.

Records for sure feel special. Records and Criterion discs.

Hell yes. Records are more satisfying by far to purchase . Also agree on the criterion discs, though I recently stopped myself from buying the Criterion of Brazil on freaking laser disc.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:06 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I get a CD and I put it on my harddrive immediately and it goes into my Big Drawer of CDs. The cases sit around until I move and have to throw them away. I don't think they are imbued with any Special Personalizing Magick. They are just plastic bits that will only have a further use in a catastrophe (i.e. my harddrive and backups all fail).
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 am
Captiv8

I've been trying to downgrade my physical CD collection for years now. It's come to the point where I don't even like to a have the actual copy because it will take up more space and make it harder to move. So I say no to CDs these days. I'm with futuristxen. I like seeing the art display on my iTunes, and the ease of accessibility and change. And I will also agree that having something on vinyl is a totally different ballgame. It does feel more substantial, in every possible way. I own things on vinyl that I would never consider owning on CD. It's weird how it works.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am
AdamBomb

Captiv8 wrote:
I've been trying to downgrade my physical CD collection for years now. It's come to the point where I don't even like to a have the actual copy because it will take up more space and make it harder to move. So I say no to CDs these days. I'm with futuristxen. I like seeing the art display on my iTunes, and the ease of accessibility and change. And I will also agree that having something on vinyl is a totally different ballgame. It does feel more substantial, in every possible way. I own things on vinyl that I would never consider owning on CD. It's weird how it works.

CDs>>>>mp3's
And its debatable about the quality of vinyl vs. cds. The things that you mentioned above are what is driving the market away from cd's into only mp3s and you are definitely in the majority. There are a few cd's I really want that are now only available as mp3s. Its sad...you pay the same price for something of less quality.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:25 pm
Captiv8

AdamBomb wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

CDs>>>>mp3's
And its debatable about the quality of vinyl vs. cds. The things that you mentioned above are what is driving the market away from cd's into only mp3s and you are definitely in the majority. There are a few cd's I really want that are now only available as mp3s. Its sad...you pay the same price for something of less quality.

Maybe my ears are less discerning than yours, but I honestly can't tell the difference. So this point, really, is moot for me. My concern is with my desire to keep out the clutter while continuing to build my music collection. MP3s allow me to do that, while CDs do not. For me personally it's that simple.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:28 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

futuristxen wrote:

That said, I intend to neither buy or download or listen to the new Brother Ali album. Because I respect that he spends a lot of money on making his albums, and since I don't have that much interest to begin with, I wouldn't want to disrespect that by playing it without paying for it.

Do the same with Atmosphere actually. Every Atmosphere album I've listened to I've bought. So I haven't listened to one really since the one with the mohawk or whatever on the cover, where slug is sitting down. You can't imagine how much fun we're having or something. Last show I saw with those guys was when Sage was with them, I think. No I think I saw the tour right after that too with Ali and Murs.

Really? I mean I don't know if you were that big into them in the first place or whatever. But Life Gives You Lemons is totally the best one. I know that's off topic, but it is.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:59 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Captiv8 wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

CDs>>>>mp3's

Maybe my ears are less discerning than yours, but I honestly can't tell the difference. So this point, really, is moot for me. My concern is with my desire to keep out the clutter while continuing to build my music collection. MP3s allow me to do that, while CDs do not. For me personally it's that simple.

Exactly. When I moved recently I sold almost my entire CD collection. They were only gathering dust and I hadn't pulled a CD off the rack in almost a year. And even then, it was only because it was an album I didn't have available digitally.
I used to think that having the disc provided a different experience but I don't agree with that anymore. What's the point in having a disc if it just sits on a shelf?
A large part of what prompted my shift in opinion was the purchase of a 120 gig iPod and the cables to hook it up to my stereo system. I have my entire music collection at my fingertips now and once I get an adapter for my car (which I rarely drive), I'll have no use for CDs anymore.

I will note that I saved a few dozen CDs and all of my vinyl though. All of it is stuff that has sentimental value or was picked up/signed at a show. I rarely listen to vinyl, but it does provide a different experience. I'll buy more of it once I get a decent turntable.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next