View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Brother Ali : Downloading vs Buying music  Reply with quote  

we have discussed it many times on the forum, here are Ali's thoughts on it

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 pm
remind

Haha he looks like he's gonna yack in that still frame.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:25 pm
knowrites

that felt like the realest discussion of music piracy i've ever seen.
made me very happy to see him open up the way he did.
but i think the biggest part for me was the connection with owning music. i never knew how to explain that..
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:04 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Knowrites,
Not to take anything away from Ali, but "we have discussed it many times on the forum." And then some. Sometimes it depends who you hear the message from for it to sink in though.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 pm
knowrites

Mr 9999 wrote:
Knowrites,
Not to take anything away from Ali, but "we have discussed it many times on the forum." And then some. Sometimes it depends who you hear the message from for it to sink in though.

not really that.
i just don't usually read those topics.
i buy most of my music, so i don't really feel like reading nine pages worth of people telling other people why they should pay for it.
i pay for mine, and i've kindof accepted that a lot of the people are going to just download it, and theres not a whole lot i can say to change their minds.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:38 pm
Travadone

i was a buyer since i was a kid and nowadays its download all the way!
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:39 pm
futuristxen

I buy the albums I care about. The rest is just background music I download so it doesn't sound like I'm stuck in the same elevator.

In a perfect world, I'd buy every album I even somewhat like. But I'm not rich. And Music isn't the only thing I love. I love fashion, music, movies, comics, literature, and the people around me. And I eat like shit so I can make it all work. I think it's like that with everyone. It's a recession. Even Young Jeezy says so. Past a certain point, you gotta steal something in this society. And if the worst of it is mediocre hiphop, then I'll be okay.

That said, I intend to neither buy or download or listen to the new Brother Ali album. Because I respect that he spends a lot of money on making his albums, and since I don't have that much interest to begin with, I wouldn't want to disrespect that by playing it without paying for it.

Do the same with Atmosphere actually. Every Atmosphere album I've listened to I've bought. So I haven't listened to one really since the one with the mohawk or whatever on the cover, where slug is sitting down. You can't imagine how much fun we're having or something. Last show I saw with those guys was when Sage was with them, I think. No I think I saw the tour right after that too with Ali and Murs.

Anyways. Now that I've rambled through this whole thing, I'd also like to say, we've had this thread a billion times, and it's never a happy place. Fans and artists should never discuss business at the same table.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:57 pm
mancabbage

i buy shit to support the people that make music that i care about, not to own the cd.. like its a different motivation for me than it used to be when i was a kid collecting cds, like i have been known to dl an album i already own on cd because i cant be arsed to copy it from the cd.. the last sage cd for example, i bought it, but i'd already downloaded it anyway, but i wanted to send some cash that way u know... i have a huge pile of cds and i never go through em it ain't a "collection" for me no more, i don't give a fuck about that pile, rather i want my money to go to guys who are doing shit i love so they can keep doing that shit and get new guys voice out there ... i'd pay a tenner for ali if he did a record of fart sounds as long as the man was gona tour his real tunes because i think it would be a tragedy if someone like that couldn't get their voice heard. ali is a fucking hero man, i wish only the best for that guy, he intimidates me with how much of a stand up fella he is and that is fucking cool.. i got mad inspiration from his records and i kinda feel like i owe the man, if i didn't pay for his records i'd be consumed with guilt. I will be buying his records when he is in a zimmer and im scooting about in a wheel chair. apologies if noneof this makes any sense. pissed.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:25 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Ali talks about how lacking a physical artifact to associate with the music (record, tape, CD) has an alienating influence. He calls it "not real" and he talks about how it hurts your relationship with the music, or your connection to the artist's intentions for the music.

This is certainly more possible with digital music than with physical media, but ultimately it's a question of metadata. We're slowly building up a generation of kids who are going to scrapbook with digital media the way a lot of my friends grew up cutting shit out of magazines to collage or whatever. A song you download isn't just going to be a song, it's going to have digital cues down to specific frames of the track (the way you can now pop up a particular note at a particular point in a YouTube video). It's going to have all kinds of metadata associated with, lyrics, complimentary songs, playlist recommendations, etc, etc. Parts of this will be personal but parts of this will be aggressively crowdsourced.

Ali isn't talking about that because it's not a part of how he learned to consume music.

He's right about the business model, he's right about the importance of developing a personal relationship with the music you listen to. He's on some your-dad-doesn't-understand-what-Facebook-is-for shit when he talks about digital music being a barrier to those relationships. It's a different medium and with different media come different problems and opportunities.

I think that one of the major goals of any form of art is a kind of "stickiness" -- that something you wrote is able to find purchase and connect with your audience, whoever they may be.

What I hear Ali saying here is that, as an artist, he hasn't yet figured out how to make his music be quite so sticky when it's being downloaded, versus initially consumed on an album or a CD.

I'm not sure what it will look like either, especially not for him. But for music in general, I can already see the shape of it underneath the water. It's huge, it's going to change everything, and at 31 I'm probably already too old for it to change me as much as it might change people who are just in grade school now.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:29 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

I'm waiting for a smart ass kid to say, "I burned it to a CDR. It's physical now. No worries."
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:39 pm
AdamBomb

I will say, I feel kind of cheated when I buy a physical cd and they get cheap on the liner notes. The new Mos Def cd (which I love) doesn't even have album credits in the simple-ass booklet. Its just says to go to his website to get than info. I can understand it for mixtapes/low budget indie acts/ep's but for full releases? Maybe its nerdy, but I read every single word in cd booklets like I read the entire ingredients of shampoo on the john. I think detailed booklets should be a reward from the artist because you bought a physical copy.

Of course I like supporting artists and getting the uncompressed quality of a cd. A world without physical copies depresses me.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 pm
futuristxen

If I get a physical copy, 9 times out of 10 I would prefer to get vinyl. A cd doesn't really feel personal, like Ali says it does. I don't feel like I'm owning 14 bucks worth of raw product with a CD. Whereas with a record, it just feels more substantial. I mean, for one it's physically bigger. The artwork is big enough that it matters. And you can display it proudly. And I think there's more investment in getting out a record to listen to than a cd or even tape.

Records for sure feel special. Records and Criterion discs.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 am
penchant 4

FEIGNED l.

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 am
Pvt_Moose

AdamBomb wrote:
I will say, I feel kind of cheated when I buy a physical cd and they get cheap on the liner notes. The new Mos Def cd (which I love) doesn't even have album credits in the simple-ass booklet. Its just says to go to his website to get than info. I can understand it for mixtapes/low budget indie acts/ep's but for full releases? Maybe its nerdy, but I read every single word in cd booklets like I read the entire ingredients of shampoo on the john. I think detailed booklets should be a reward from the artist because you bought a physical copy.

Of course I like supporting artists and getting the uncompressed quality of a cd. A world without physical copies depresses me.

i feel the booklet is very important too. but ultimately i think that the only thing that will make a fan buy the product is love or guilt. love for obvious reasons and guilt because they cant dl it without feelings shitty.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:54 am
AdamBomb

Does anybody feel the same way about digital photographs vs. developed photographs? For some reason, a physical photograph feels more like a treasure. I think I read that a regular shot from 35mm film is actually a higher resolution than an 8 megapixel camera.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next