RIP DJ AM
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

tommi teardrop wrote:
Mr 9999 wrote:
tommi teardrop wrote:
I also find it crazy how easily people talk shit about a DJ's drug related death and then everyone has sympathy when a traditional songwriter or actor does the same exact shit.

Is that a straw man you just created?
Maybe so. Or maybe it's all the shit that I see people posting on facebook and twitter and shit about how he was just Nicole Ritchie's ex and he was just some shitty junkie dj. And this thread is no different. He's not viewed as a real musician or artist and people think he was just known because because he rolled with celebrities.

I guess I'm just comparing that to how people reacted when Heath Ledger or Elliott Smith etc. died.

Have you really not encountered anybody acting like, "why should I care about some club DJ overdosing?" I've already heard that shit a number of times. Or people asking what made him so great, but doing so in a totally condescending, "come the fuck on" type way.

I think there are elements of that all over the place.

It's whatever though. I just think people's reactions to this have been really shitty. And I think him being a club DJ and tabloid star both play a part in it.

Then you add to that the lack of understanding of what DJs like him do and why they are appreciated, and it was enough for me to post something in response.

You act like you didn't read the thread or see the conclusions we came to.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 am
Travadone

Sage Francis wrote:
tommi teardrop wrote:
Mr 9999 wrote:
tommi teardrop wrote:
I also find it crazy how easily people talk shit about a DJ's drug related death and then everyone has sympathy when a traditional songwriter or actor does the same exact shit.

Is that a straw man you just created?
Maybe so. Or maybe it's all the shit that I see people posting on facebook and twitter and shit about how he was just Nicole Ritchie's ex and he was just some shitty junkie dj. And this thread is no different. He's not viewed as a real musician or artist and people think he was just known because because he rolled with celebrities.

I guess I'm just comparing that to how people reacted when Heath Ledger or Elliott Smith etc. died.

Have you really not encountered anybody acting like, "why should I care about some club DJ overdosing?" I've already heard that shit a number of times. Or people asking what made him so great, but doing so in a totally condescending, "come the fuck on" type way.

I think there are elements of that all over the place.

It's whatever though. I just think people's reactions to this have been really shitty. And I think him being a club DJ and tabloid star both play a part in it.

Then you add to that the lack of understanding of what DJs like him do and why they are appreciated, and it was enough for me to post something in response.

You act like you didn't read the thread or see the conclusions we came to.
i still want sage to dj my wedding if i get married.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:16 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4