Search
Register
RIP DJ AM
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Captiv8

That routine was noice! I watched a few fellow up videos and he seemed like a wildly talented dude.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:48 pm
Travadone

Call this cat DJ tylenol PM.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 pm
box johnson

Travadone wrote:

Take your Hackney ass quips to some other thread. For someone trying so fucking hard, you're not funny at all. Jesus, you're giving good trolls a bad name.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:19 am
Travadone

box johnson wrote:
Travadone wrote:

Take your Hackney ass quips to some other thread. For someone trying so fucking hard, you're not funny at all. Jesus, you're giving good trolls a bad name.
stop catching feelings. Pussy.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:38 am
Quarters is Nice

I'm with Sequence on this. I think one of the noticeable things is that he was kind of a DJ's DJ, and that's why this guy's impact is being talked about more among people who play records out, while a lot of other listeners are kind of shrugging their shoulders.

So yeah, because of that it's tough to explain exactly what he did that was so influential but part of it is that he played different music than a lot of people did at parties, and even though a lot of it was very middle-of-the-road pop music, he pulled it off with actual full on turntable skills. The style ignored the lines between hip hop/turntablism/house DJing in ways that people hadn't either thought of or at least attempted before, with a lot of scratching and creative blends on songs that needed to be re-imagined for people to be willing to get down with again.

Also, he was probably the foremost Serato-using DJ and really made the abilities that Serato gives you a big feature of his set, rather than the crutch that it is for a lot of people who don't/can't haul around a bunch of vinyl (myself included). That's something not to be underestimated, because Serato came out in--what.. 2003?--and it's absolutely changing both the face of DJing and the sound of music that people play out, and AM was at the very top of that wave.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:46 pm
myopicrequiem

The untimely death of DJ AM has put MTV into a delicate position over how to handle an upcoming reality show starring the artist.

MTV has shot eight episodes of "Gone Too Far," a series that followed the format of A&E's popular hit "Intervention," with DJ AM helping young addicts get sober. The network previously announced the show will premiere Oct. 5.

But with the 36-year-old found dead Friday morning in his Manhattan apartment, and with drug paraphernalia reportedly discovered at the scene, the question becomes whether MTV will still elect to air the show -- particularly if toxicology reports reveal DJ AM died from a drug overdose.

"Adam 'DJ AM' Goldstein’s death is an incredible loss to the music community, his friends, family and his fans, and those of us who had the privilege of working with him," MTV said in a statement. "MTV was honored to support him as he helped young people battle their own addictions. Our heartfelt thoughts go out to his family."

The blow comes on the heels of sister network VH1 canceling two reality series -- "Megan Wants a Millionaire" and "I Love Money 3" -- that featured contestant Ryan Jenkins, who committed suicide after purportedly killing his ex-wife.

In both the case of MTV and VH1's programs, real-life tragedy impacts the way viewers will perceive the "reality" of a reality TV show. Entertainment networks aren't very comfortable with real-life tragedy or irony. And in the case of "Gone Too Far," the show could potentially become the most tragically ironic reality series ever.

MTV could argue, however, that DJ AM’s death makes airing the series more important; that demonstrating the perils of addiction is all the more timely in the wake of his death.

Talking to critics at press tour last July, DJ AM was asked about how he barely survived a plane crash last year and its effect on his sobriety.

"There's no reason why I should have lived or why I lived and they didn't," DJ AM said. "But I am alive and I'm here and I have to do something better with my life now ... I struggled for years as a drug addict and was fortunate to get help when I asked for it. I have managed to live a clean and sober life, something that takes work and something that I pride myself on. ‘Gone Too Far’ is my platform to help people, like I was helped – by giving back in a way."
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:57 pm
Dominic

im in LA, i need to go peep the DO OVER already.

I will d/l this AM mix, the DO-OVER's webiste has many free recorded dj mixes.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:51 pm
myopicrequiem

Law enforcement sources directly connected with the death of DJ AM tell us that his death was the result of an accidental overdose and not a suicide -- and there is a tragic, ironic twist of fate.

Our sources say DJ AM, a recovering addict, developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines (a group of drugs used to treat anxiety) as a direct result of the plane crash a year ago. We're told AM (aka Adam Goldstein) developed a tremendous anxiety over flying -- something he had to do frequently for his job. We're told doctors began prescribing Xanax and other anti-anxiety medications to relieve his fear, but the benzos triggered a relapse into addiction. We're told benzos are particularly dicey for recovering addicts.

Our sources say DJ AM's relapse was "recent" -- he was not abusing for a prolonged period of time before his death.

We're also told the OD had "absolutely nothing to do with his recent breakup."

Our sources say the evidence strongly indicates cause of death will be a combination of crack cocaine and benzos.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:15 am
tommi teardrop

This death is a big deal in Vegas. Seems like everybody knew him or had met him from someone or another. I'm amazed to read people being clueless on how huge he was. I think celebrity backlash has officially reached it's crescendo. I also find it crazy how easily people talk shit about a DJ's drug related death and then everyone has sympathy when a traditional songwriter or actor does the same exact shit.

That said, the moment I heard, the first thing I thought was prescription drugs. People are dropping like flys from this shit. It is so rampant right now, and in my city especially. I'm not going to go so far as to say that the Xanax being for flying is bullshit, but Xanax is everywhere and I've seen more than a few people OD from taking a few bars to try to crash after a night of cocaine or another upper.

It's all just sad and reminds me of friends and family that might realize the same fate sooner or later. If you take pills recreationally, you really need to check yourself.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:52 am
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

tommi teardrop wrote:
I also find it crazy how easily people talk shit about a DJ's drug related death and then everyone has sympathy when a traditional songwriter or actor does the same exact shit.

Is that a straw man you just created?
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:05 am
english bob

i have no idea what he was like as a person, but we saw him at Rain in vegas last month and as a club dj, he was dope. rakim to the killers to epmd to lady gaga to whatever - it was lots of fun and he was definitely great at his job..

isn't he a playable character in that new 'dj hero' game too? (with jazzy jeff/shadow/flash etc).. not that getting the nod from a games company confirms you as a stellar dj, but he's in illustrious company there....
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
myopicrequiem

It's ironic all the slander said about this man before it was released that he wasn't strung out weeks before his death & it wasn't involved with his break up... but the accident he didn't understand... & being forced into traveling the very way he almost died. Being a human sucks being judge sucks for you.

Straw man eh?
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:18 am
tommi teardrop

Mr 9999 wrote:
tommi teardrop wrote:
I also find it crazy how easily people talk shit about a DJ's drug related death and then everyone has sympathy when a traditional songwriter or actor does the same exact shit.

Is that a straw man you just created?
Maybe so. Or maybe it's all the shit that I see people posting on facebook and twitter and shit about how he was just Nicole Ritchie's ex and he was just some shitty junkie dj. And this thread is no different. He's not viewed as a real musician or artist and people think he was just known because because he rolled with celebrities.

I guess I'm just comparing that to how people reacted when Heath Ledger or Elliott Smith etc. died.

Have you really not encountered anybody acting like, "why should I care about some club DJ overdosing?" I've already heard that shit a number of times. Or people asking what made him so great, but doing so in a totally condescending, "come the fuck on" type way.

I think there are elements of that all over the place.

It's whatever though. I just think people's reactions to this have been really shitty. And I think him being a club DJ and tabloid star both play a part in it.

Then you add to that the lack of understanding of what DJs like him do and why they are appreciated, and it was enough for me to post something in response.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 am
english bob

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1619876/20090829/dj_am.jhtml

Quote:

“I already heard people are trying to hate like he wasn’t important, like he wasn’t a dope DJ,” Primo added. “Let me tell you something: He is the fuckin’ shit. This dude’s a fuckin’ maniac on turntables, for real. You have to experience this dude’s tactics on turntables — he’s sick with it. And if I cosign it, fuck any DJ who disagrees. You either haven’t seen him spin … and this dude’s history, his knowledge of music, was intense.”
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the mean
Certified O.G.

myopicrequiem wrote:
& being forced into traveling the very way he almost died.

Let's not go too far. I'm sure dude has already made much more money than I will in my lifetime. He wasn't being forced into anything.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:54 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next