Search
Register
Official Common "SMH" Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Confidential

firefly wrote:

Neither of these artists need the money that bad.

i kind of see what you are getting at with the rest of your post but the statement above is off base. For one, it's not upto you to say if they need the money. They're job is to make money off their "art." They are working with a corporation whose job it is to make money of their drank. I'm not apologizing for exploitation, i just think that going after common is not useful.

you have a point about the "protecting the artistic integrity" language they use being "gross"- for me not gross but disengenous as is all marketing.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:03 pm
albeeyap2

why is Common so skinny? to much veganism?
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 am
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

seandaley wrote:
KJBDSFOUYGAEFLJKOP;IEWDH[JKHDIUOOWDJKKLKL!!!!!

oh. my. god.
look at that shirt she's wearing.
i. can't. believe. that she left her house in that thing.

smoke more beer.
-HHHS

Still totally confused by this. Lost and in need of directions to your true feelings. I can't tell if it has to do with moral ambiguity or severe condemnation. Because Dolan actually has smoked beer...and it's not a good scene.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:59 am
b. dolan
FBI agent

hey guys, it's me. the guy that does all the hundreds of unpaid hours of work for knowmore.org... the corporate watch search engine. heh.

if i shake my head at rappers endorsing hennesy/microsoft/gap/coke, it's probably not because i'm jealous of their riches, or being catty about what shirts are being worn, or being holier than thou, or thinking this is the end of the world...

i'm just uh, shaking my head is all. sell more cool

Last edited by b. dolan on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:06 am
box johnson

like the cool, refreshing taste of diet pepsi.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:10 am
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

I just would like to take a moment to thank Diet Dr. Pepper. Diet Dr. Pepper got in contact with me awhile ago and we sat down. Diet Dr. Pepper was like, yo, lets be real. And I was totally surprised! I couldnt believe it! I thought all they would be interested in is me singing songs about their spicy bubbles, but they really care about me as an artist, which is crazy, cause most soda pops could give a fuck. It really says a lot coming from a classy brand like Diet Dr. Pepper, and I really wanted to be apart of this collection of their art, which is great, because they really do care about the artists, and being the best, and stuff like that.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
box johnson

Cherry chocolate rain II?
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:46 am
box johnson

smh...
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:47 am
seandaley
passive aggressifist

Mr 9999 wrote:
Still totally confused by this. Lost and in need of directions to your true feelings. I can't tell if it has to do with moral ambiguity or severe condemnation. Because Dolan actually has smoked beer...and it's not a good scene.

nada to be confusioned about.
was just standing in line with all of the other posters who agree.
it ain't easy being agreeing.
but i was trying.
i guess after reading b's second post, my post was a poor attempt.
DANG-IT-ALL, i'll try again:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

(smoking beer is dangerous, sorry about that part, it's irresponsible of me)

love ya.
-HHHS
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:46 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I hate to come in and defend a musician who has been pretty indefensibly bad now for more years than he was good, but...

If the charge here is hypocrisy. It's important that we remember that a hypocrite is someone who is untrue to themselves, not someone who is untrue to, say, b. dolan. Clearly Common does not see any contradiction between his message and his integrity and commercial endorsements. He clearly feels strongly about some things and I think it's clear that those things have more to do with spiritual growth than in comprehensive political change (except insofar that the former contributes to the latter). I'd imagine that his stance on vegetarianism, for instance, has little to do with animal rights or curbing carbon emissions as much as it's probably about some hippie shit about self-improvement.

Actually, I bet there's an interview about this somewhere. Here it is!

"If you eat better, live better, feel better... treat the universe better... you'll in turn get better... it's part of nature... it starts with the love of god... the love of people, the love of animals... it's all connected." Puke.

The guy's politics have always sucked. Remember back when he was good? He was all about some Farrakhan and calling people faggots and some God. And there's always been, perhaps linking to the history of black people in Chicago and the NOI, in particular, pro-capitalist. He believes that corporations can do good and personally used his funds early on to buy apartment buildings and so forth. To Common, there's nothing mutually exclusive between personal integrity, corporate sponsorship, and spiritual well-being. And I believe him and Ahmir talk about integrity, I believe them. I doubt that Hennessy has any artistic demands from them. And obviously Henny knows well enough that Common, at this stage, is utterly uncontroversial and won't harm their brand.

I'm starting to ramble. The point is: I don't see this as anything new or special and that he's not really a hypocrite. I'm glad he's not making anti-choice songs anymore, I guess.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 am
jehu

so most everyone, besides a select few, agrees that common sucks for this but it's all good if ?uestlove does something like this?
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:35 am
box johnson

Jimmy Fallon apparently has mad cred.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:47 am
Travadone

who cares what common does...

i dont care what you people do.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:30 am
mattrego

That is a great post by Icarus.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:34 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Who cares what anyone does? Why have opinions or use words at all? Not like it's gonna change anything. Or help sell more liquor. Or albums. Or carpets.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next