Search
Register
Official Common "SMH" Thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

b. dolan
FBI agent

Official Common "SMH" Thread  Reply with quote  

I think at this point one thread should just be devoted to this. And a Knowmore page maybe. smhater.

</object>

Common and The Roots’ Questlove, co-curators of the 2009 Hennessy Artistry series, discuss why they and Hennessy put art before commerce to create the right musical blend.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:24 pm
michaelmichael motorcycle

first
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Cuz what I'm talkin' 'bout y'all...is Hennessy
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 pm
Stumbleweed

And KOOL... and Coke, and GAP... and whoever else pays him enough money.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
b. dolan
FBI agent

</object>
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:53 pm
jehu

alright, so can we shit on ?uestlove as well, or is this thread strictly for shitting on common?
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:08 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

I'm not going to defend Common, but I'm also not going to shit on him.

He's kind of a case study for self-contradiction, which is something I am very guilty of.

So I will read this thread and laugh, but growing up poor is not a fun time, and it will lead people to make decisions of questionable dignity if it means financial stability.

That being said, why would we shit on ?uestlove?

I like him a lot, and think the Roots are fantastic, and somehow very slept on. I think people assume their music is all neo-souled the fuck out, and it's very much not as of late. Game Theory is surreal. Top 10 records of the 2000's for me.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:30 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Rising Down is great
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:32 pm
Mikal kHill

Everyone I know that listens to hiphop AND some people that DON'T like the roots or at least know who they are, but everyone constantly talks about how they are slept on. I don't see it at all. A lot of their shit is kinda boring, too, and I say that while citing them as one of my favorite groups with a bunch of their shit on vinyl in the crates at my feet. I think they make a lot of poor decisions and have a lack of quality control, and that's painted them a certain way to a lot of people. Those last two records, I think, have took them in a new direction, but unfortunately that direction made them Jimmy Fallon's backing band.

-kHill
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

They definitely bore me. They've bored me for the greater part of their career. I might need some henny to get me a bit more emotional about this.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm
Captiv8

Common came up, what can I say? Integrity only goes so far. Like Mac Lethal said, growing up poor can make people do some questionable things if they're lucky enough to even make the decisions that Common had. Let's not forget that dude had to be good before he was famous. He didn't just come out of nowhere. That said, I think that it's important for an artist to at least be selective in the things they sponsor. The Gap and Coke? Not exactly admirable companies in terms of business practices.

I can honestly say that, at this point in my life, I would make a sponsorship deal like snap. I'm broke and the future looks really bleak. Like waking up in the middle of a desert with no water bleak.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:39 pm
Mikal kHill

Common, to me, is like nickelback. He's always been mediocre and boring to me, and mediocre and boring sells copies. I think it might be HARDER to be a valid artist and get to his level than to be fucking mediocre and willing to dance when you're told to dance.

-kHill
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:42 pm
laurapalmer

You guys realize that Common didn't grow up poor, right?
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:20 pm
Mikal kHill

I never said he did, but the amount of ambivalence I have about anything he does kinda negates any need to know how he came up.

I know he wears sweater vests a lot. So there's that.

-kHill
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:33 pm
AdamBomb

When I stopped pretending Common was about "keeping it real", it doesn't piss me off when he does sell-out moves. Somewhere along the line he marketed himself as a "non-sellout" but I'll be damned if I can remember when and how. He is what he is and that is how he pays the bills. I'm sure going home to Serena and jumping into the large pool made of Terminator money (think Scrooge McDuck) helps him get some sleep at night. The Hennesey move is just more of the same. Its like shitting on Rachel Ray at this point.

Just think how many of us on this forum work for a large corporation? It would be nice if we could all keep it real, but that's how most of the U.S. eats. I think I'm gonna go buy a hamburger right now using my corporately earned money.

If I'm going to hate on Common, its going to be for his crappy music - Universal Mind Control was horrible in every way.

I'll take Questlove/Roots over Max Weinberg or Paul Shaeffer any day.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next