Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Questionable arrest and tasing
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
cubbiebear



Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 165
Location: Baltimore
 Reply with quote  

remind wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
Ha. Wow. Well....good luck with that, Remind.

It's not brown nosing. It's being respectful and considerate of the situation.

You should keep your hands on the steering wheel so they don't think you're hiding something or grabbing something. You turn the car off so that the cop doesn't have to worry about you taking off or running over him when he approaches the vehicle.

The advice people are giving is sound.


You can be respectful without calling the cop sir or ma'am, can you not? And if you're not moving, you're not grabbing anything right? It's one thing to like have your hands in your pockets or doing something else that can look shady. But to just be chillin with your hands in your lap isn't going to get you in trouble or arouse suspicion (so long as he can see everything and you're not acting weird).

What's with all the concern about the cop's worries? Fuck him. A car taking off and/or running him over happens...how often? They're trained to handle the situation. What do you think they tremble and bite their nails every time they approach a car they just pulled over? I haven't had any problems with my methods so the wishing of luck isn't necessary. They're the ones who should be calling us sir or ma'am upon approach.

I never said the advice was bad or unsound. It's just like...Jesus, it doesn't have to be so edgy and particular.


I imagined you shaking as you typed that.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Son?
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

Remind, you're exactly the kind of cat that has some kind of inherent problem with the police, and is likely to say something that pisses the cop off. Fuck the cop? They're doing their job man. I've never been addressed rudely by a cop, and even if I was it wouldn't help matters to be rude back. It's a common courtesy, even if it isn't reciprocated. Stop doing things that get you pulled over, I'd say.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Captiv8 wrote:
Remind, you're exactly the kind of cat that has some kind of inherent problem with the police, and is likely to say something that pisses the cop off. Fuck the cop? They're doing their job man. I've never been addressed rudely by a cop, and even if I was it wouldn't help matters to be rude back. It's a common courtesy, even if it isn't reciprocated. Stop doing things that get you pulled over, I'd say.


You have no idea what I'm likely to say or not. I've been addressed rudely by plenty of cops. I've gotten out of countless situations dealing with cops where I could have very easily been fucked. When did I say to be rude to them? I didn't. And uh I haven't been pulled over all that much. Chill with your assumptions. Son.

All I'm saying is relax and use common sense. You don't have to have an etched in stone list of what to do when you get pulled over.

cubbie, that was funny. Thanks.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21620
 Reply with quote  

I've been treated like shit by many cops. If I didn't have a sense of protocol I would have ended up in prison on a few occasions. Trust me, man. At least understand the game before you decide to be a rebel and break all the rules. As I said before, people are giving sound advice and you're just like "Oh whatever man!" ha. And that's cool. But hopefully you come to understand that this shit can be helpful to you.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
At least understand the game before you decide to be a rebel and break all the rules.


Haha. Ok. I'm not looking for the response I'm likely to get by saying this but I went to a criminal justice school where most of the kids went on to be cops. I understand how these things work. Be a rebel? I don't know what's going on here but people are assuming mad shit.

Sage Francis wrote:
As I said before, people are giving sound advice and you're just like "Oh whatever man!" ha. And that's cool. But hopefully you come to understand that this shit can be helpful to you.


"Oh whatever man!" was certainly not what I intended to convey. I was trying to be helpful also. Some of the advice being given sounds as if you guys are frightened.

Hey, call the cop sir, officer, master...whatever you want. But failing to address the cop as "sir" isn't going to land you in a cell.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9263
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

when me and a couple of mates got done police marched us outside sat us down infront of everyone to make an example of us. His surname is Lord, when copper asked for his name he goes "lord, as in the almighty".. he ended up in a cell that night haha, - No harm in talking to em like they're your teacher and you're 12, small things please small minds you know? if it makes them happy that you suck up to em a bit, fuck it.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21620
 Reply with quote  

remind wrote:
Hey, call the cop sir, officer, master...whatever you want. But failing to address the cop as "sir" isn't going to land you in a cell.


No, but it can be the first step down the path of you ending up in a cell.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

I'm curious at to what your resistance in this matter is, Remind. Do you honestly feel like using a respectable title is something that you shouldn't have to do, so you won't do it even if it would make things smoother? Did you have a specifically negative experience in which you got the short end of the stick with cops? What happened?

I've been fucked over by cops before man. In fact, I'm being fucked over by them right now. But as unjust as I feel they're being, as idiotic and inflexible as they are, I still won't let myself treat them with anything but respect, if for no other reason than I think it helps things to get down in a timely fashion. The average cop probably deals with a bunch of people all day that are rude and show no respect whatsoever, so I want to be the guy they know is different, in a good way. I'm the guy saying sir, please, thank you, I really appreciate your help, etc. It doesn't cost me anything but a little extra effort. Keep in mind as well that a cop can arrest you for being rude (and I'm not saying you were or are, Remind), saying you were causing a disturbance or something like that. Sure, it probably won't stick but it'll be inconvenient for you for a while.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

Captiv8 wrote:
I'm curious at to what your resistance in this matter is, Remind. Do you honestly feel like using a respectable title is something that you shouldn't have to do, so you won't do it even if it would make things smoother? Did you have a specifically negative experience in which you got the short end of the stick with cops? What happened?

I've been fucked over by cops before man. In fact, I'm being fucked over by them right now. But as unjust as I feel they're being, as idiotic and inflexible as they are, I still won't let myself treat them with anything but respect, if for no other reason than I think it helps things to get down in a timely fashion. The average cop probably deals with a bunch of people all day that are rude and show no respect whatsoever, so I want to be the guy they know is different, in a good way. I'm the guy saying sir, please, thank you, I really appreciate your help, etc. It doesn't cost me anything but a little extra effort. Keep in mind as well that a cop can arrest you for being rude (and I'm not saying you were or are, Remind), saying you were causing a disturbance or something like that. Sure, it probably won't stick but it'll be inconvenient for you for a while.


Negative experiences with cops? Too many to name. Ones in which I got the short end of the stick? I mean, not really. Bullshit tickets here and there and some ruined days but nothing too serious. I've been arrested but I was stupid and deserved to be. Most of my issues with cops have arisen out of incidents that didn't involve me. But that's beside the point...I still don't think I'm being understood here. I'm respectful toward cops. I'm not an idiot. I'm not looking to prove a point and I'm not trying to be a bad ass. I think it's just a personal satisfaction that I get from not addressing them as "sir". It's not something you necessarily have to do to see that things go smoothly or to get out of trouble. I know my rights. I know what they can do and what they can't. Some people start flapping their gums uncontrollably around cops. Not me. I say as little as possible. Saying "sir" isn't necessary.

But like I said, do whatever works for you.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
icarus502
kung-pwn master


Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 11291
Location: ann arbor
 Reply with quote  

I can't really remember the last time I called a cop "sir." The next time will probably be never.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21620
 Reply with quote  

To be quite honest, I can't either. Except the words "sir" "ma'am" and "brother" come out of my mouth before I can usually catch them.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Astro



Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 1777
Location: Lowell, MA - Chicago - Venice
 Reply with quote  

mancabbage wrote:
when me and a couple of mates got done police marched us outside sat us down infront of everyone to make an example of us. His surname is Lord, when copper asked for his name he goes "lord, as in the almighty".. he ended up in a cell that night haha, - No harm in talking to em like they're your teacher and you're 12, small things please small minds you know? if it makes them happy that you suck up to em a bit, fuck it.


wtf? didn't you tear into me for essentially saying the same thing?
She didn't need to get electrocuted, but she could have maybe, done more to avoid it.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Confidential



Joined: 23 Jan 2004
Posts: 2040
 Reply with quote  

Some friends of mine at copwatch have been compiling a tazer file for the last couple of years. They're trying to collect a database of all the tazer-related deaths.

http://taserscankill.ne1.net/
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:11 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon