Search
Register
Questionable arrest and tasing
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

By the way I have the scars to prove my friken story. It was a scary situation, I didn't mean to make sound as though it wasn't far out there, but its been a few years and people including law enforcement officers are typically idiots.

mme
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Captiv8

prolific memorie wrote:
By the way I have the scars to prove my friken story. It was a scary situation, I didn't mean to make sound as though it wasn't far out there, but its been a few years and people including law enforcement officers are typically idiots.

mme

What does this prove? That you were tased maybe, but no scar in the world will tell me that you punched a cop and then walked away like a gangsta.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 am
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

Well thats kool, you don't have to believe it.But he was stupid rookie cop, that got scared after he realized he fucked up.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:07 am
Captiv8

prolific memorie wrote:
Well thats kool, you don't have to believe it.But he was stupid rookie cop, that got scared after he realized he fucked up.

My lasting impression of Pensacola was the prevalence of gay bars in the neighborhood my parents went to for therapy. I read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes in that office, which was nice. There was a pleasant park outside as well. I don't know about rookie cops and tasers though.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:08 pm
prolific memorie

Captiv8 wrote:
prolific memorie wrote:

My lasting impression of Pensacola was the prevalence of gay bars in the neighborhood my parents went to for therapy. I read a lot of Calvin and Hobbes in that office, which was nice. There was a pleasant park outside as well. I don't know about rookie cops and tasers though.

well like said it was spring break with a shit load of idiots on a tiny beach
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:11 pm
Captiv8

prolific memorie wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
prolific memorie wrote:

well like said it was spring break with a shit load of idiots on a tiny beach

I'm more of a breaking into Ernest Hemingway's house after dark in Key West kind of guy.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:48 pm
penchant 4

SSSSSSSZZZZZZZ

Last edited by penchant 4 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm
mzehe916

Years ago I was told by a lawyer that once you hand over your license and registration that you are being detained. I forget whether he said it was lawfully or unlawfully. He is a criminal defense lawyer so I'm sure he would argue that it is unlawful.

And not to bring it up, but sparrow I wasn't referring to any hierarchy in the forum. I meant in general, this forum (everybody involved) didn't just fall into place. It is one of the few forums I belong to where people give/get sound advice, for the most part.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:35 am
sparrow

oo

Last edited by sparrow on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 am
Captiv8

penchant 4 wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:
If you get pulled over, turn your vehicle off and set the keys on the dash. Have your license, registration, and insurance already available so the cop doesn't have to sweat if you are going to pull something else out of the glove compartment. Not a guarantee, but if you play the game (and respond with "sir" or "ma'am") you may have a decent chance of getting off the hook or a lighter penalty.

I've heard this before. But recently a lawyer I know told me not to do this. He told me that you never want to move in your car once you are being pulled over, because when the officer sees you do so you could be grabbing your weapon. He said the scariest part of a cop's job is walking up to the vehicle, which makes sense. He said you should keep your hands on the wheel and not move them until instructed to do so, and that you should tell the officer what you are doing as you move them, even though he just instructed you to do that very thing, which I thought seems a bit silly and excessive.

So which one is correct? I'm not sure if this guy was just concerned for police officers personally or if he was suggesting that you may be treated better and have a better chance of getting off the hook for acting appropriately. But if it does impact how a cop might deal with you it would be good to know.

I'd go with a combination of both. Keep your hands on the wheel until instructed, and then move slowly to get the required items. Be cooperative and polite, and you should be fine. Just use common sense, really. Or you could just wear some kind of military outfit. My girlfriend's brother has been let of the hook three times now for being in his gear. Each time the officer says something like "Sorry, son, I didn't know you were working hard to protect our country. Just try to keep your speed down, ok? Carry on soldier."
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am
cubbiebear

penchant 4 wrote:
AdamBomb wrote:
If you get pulled over, turn your vehicle off and set the keys on the dash. Have your license, registration, and insurance already available so the cop doesn't have to sweat if you are going to pull something else out of the glove compartment. Not a guarantee, but if you play the game (and respond with "sir" or "ma'am") you may have a decent chance of getting off the hook or a lighter penalty.

I've heard this before. But recently a lawyer I know told me not to do this. He told me that you never want to move in your car once you are being pulled over, because when the officer sees you do so you could be grabbing your weapon. He said the scariest part of a cop's job is walking up to the vehicle, which makes sense. He said you should keep your hands on the wheel and not move them until instructed to do so, and that you should tell the officer what you are doing as you move them, even though he just instructed you to do that very thing, which I thought seems a bit silly and excessive.

So which one is correct? I'm not sure if this guy was just concerned for police officers personally or if he was suggesting that you may be treated better and have a better chance of getting off the hook for acting appropriately. But if it does impact how a cop might deal with you it would be good to know.

I have my registration in the middle console so I can get it quick. When I get pulled over I'm already holding my license and registration out the window before the cop gets there. I usually hear a "Well thank you" and can't remember the last time I got a ticket was. I think they appreciate it.

I want to hate the first cop but I can't. Imagine the shit they get from every single person they pull over. If every single person they pulled over did that there would be an issue. Every cop video posted so far on this forum has pissed me off cause of what the cop did, this one I want to hate him but I can't. She's an idiot. She didn't deserve a tasing but..
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:22 am
remind

You guys are a little too particular with your advice. You don't have to keep your hands on the steering wheel until he tells you to move them. I prefer to keep my hands in my lap when I get pulled over. Shut your car off? Why? Call him sir or ma'am? Never. You can be polite without being a brown-noser. And who cares if the cop is sweating? Let him or her sweat. I'd say more often than not they want to see you open your glove-compartment so they can catch something in plain view.

Do whatever works for you, I guess. But there's no need to overthink the situation. Just use your head and relax.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:37 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ha. Wow. Well....good luck with that, Remind.

It's not brown nosing. It's being respectful and considerate of the situation.

You should keep your hands on the steering wheel so they don't think you're hiding something or grabbing something. You turn the car off so that the cop doesn't have to worry about you taking off or running over him when he approaches the vehicle.

The advice people are giving is sound.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 am
remind

Sage Francis wrote:
Ha. Wow. Well....good luck with that, Remind.

It's not brown nosing. It's being respectful and considerate of the situation.

You should keep your hands on the steering wheel so they don't think you're hiding something or grabbing something. You turn the car off so that the cop doesn't have to worry about you taking off or running over him when he approaches the vehicle.

The advice people are giving is sound.

You can be respectful without calling the cop sir or ma'am, can you not? And if you're not moving, you're not grabbing anything right? It's one thing to like have your hands in your pockets or doing something else that can look shady. But to just be chillin with your hands in your lap isn't going to get you in trouble or arouse suspicion (so long as he can see everything and you're not acting weird).

What's with all the concern about the cop's worries? Fuck him. A car taking off and/or running him over happens...how often? They're trained to handle the situation. What do you think they tremble and bite their nails every time they approach a car they just pulled over? I haven't had any problems with my methods so the wishing of luck isn't necessary. They're the ones who should be calling us sir or ma'am upon approach.

I never said the advice was bad or unsound. It's just like...Jesus, it doesn't have to be so edgy and particular.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:56 am
Captiv8

remind wrote:
You guys are a little too particular with your advice. You don't have to keep your hands on the steering wheel until he tells you to move them. I prefer to keep my hands in my lap when I get pulled over. Shut your car off? Why? Call him sir or ma'am? Never. You can be polite without being a brown-noser. And who cares if the cop is sweating? Let him or her sweat. I'd say more often than not they want to see you open your glove-compartment so they can catch something in plain view.

Do whatever works for you, I guess. But there's no need to overthink the situation. Just use your head and relax.

Turning the car off is is good idea, son. Cops don't want you driving off on them, or running them over, as Francis pointed out. How is calling them "Sir" or "Ma'am" brown nosing? You're dealing with a person of authority, and they deserve some initial respect until they give you a reason to believe otherwise. I use those terms in dealing with everyday people at the bank, in the store, or wherever I happen to be. It makes people feel a little better about themselves besides. And then there's the powetripper, who certainly wants to be addressed formerly. Hedge your bets, Remind, that's all.
Post Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next