Search
Register
Lets Boycott Whole Foods
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

jehu

Alias@anticon.com wrote:
at the risk of sounding like a grumpy, old man...I gotta say that it pains me to go into Whole Foods.

pros: great produce. awesome meats and cheeses. great beer and wine selection.

cons: first and foremost, the prices.

but most of all, the majority of people that shop there are people who I would like to not be around. (for the most part) privleged, croc-wearing, rich people who can't parent for the life of them and think they're saving the world by buying organic breath-mints.

perfect wrap up of WF, at least the ones i have been in. same w/ the pcc's.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 am
Scottie

I hate all you people that can by beer and wine at whole foods and Trader Joe's.

At times being in Maryland really sucks.

Last edited by Scottie on Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 am
Stumbleweed

Scottie wrote:
I hate all you people that can by beer and wine and whole foods and Trader Joe's.

Yep, we still have bible belt bullshit laws out here in CO too. Beer and wine has to be 3.2% ABW if it's being sold at grocery stores, and they don't carry wine. Liquor stores are open on Sundays now at least (since last year).. bloody hell.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:47 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
redball

It's tough to get a liquor license in NJ so only a few of these stores have anything with alcohol. No TJ's has any alcohol. The new WF they opened in Paramus has alcohol, they have a good selection of local brews. I buy mine at Bottle King, though.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:51 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

The WF in KY has a separate entrance to the wine store. The WF in MI does not.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am
equal eyes

Scottie wrote:
I hate all you people that can by beer at wine and whole foods and Trader Joe's.

same here in delaware, it's bullshit!
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 pm
laurapalmer

Oh, and as for the booze-in PA no booze at TJ or WF. You can buy a case (of 24, no 12 pack bottles) at a beer store. You can buy wine/booze at a wine and spirits. you can not get either at the other place.

Then you have to go to a restaurant with take out to get a 40, 6 pack or 12 pack. and many places don't deal with the 12 pack. So, a six pack runs like 9 bucks for anything other than bud or some bullshit. some places have link $11 6 packs of shit like anchor steam or something.

I miss $3 decent red wine from trader joes that was okkkkkkkkkkkkk to drink, but just perfect to cook with.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:09 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

ok so i usually buy my food from my local organic and natural co-op which i own 6 shares of stock in. the pros are that you get a check back at the end of the year and it is for a percent of what you spent as a member owner, and also that you get 7 dollars a month off, 2.50 for every 25 bux you spend, and also items that are specially priced just for members, usually right above cost...stuff you use too. well lately, this year, the cons have been that they only sent me 60 percent of the money they owed me last fiscal year, and kept the other 40 percent and said they were giving that to me in the form of 2 shares of class B stock, but none of the customer service reps knew what that meant. they also said that " we had to keep 40% of your return, otherwise we would have had to raise the prices of the groceries" wtf? what is to say they didnt raise the price of the groceries and keep part of my return also??? ...hmmm... i dont get what i am due and then you say hey...we are not giving it to you because if we did, your groceries would end up costing you more, but i'm pretty sure they already are... so first they give me the shaft on what i paid to receive...then when i walk around the co-op, i never see specials for members anymore just specials for everyone...sorry everyone...i shelled out all that money just to get the same priviliges as the people who didnt eh? sucks. if everyone wants that great a deal they should be a member. shafted again. i know they probably arent doing good at sales right now and dropped member specials in favor of specials for everyone, to get more business, but now i dont get specials as promised rarely ever. i mentioned it, and was told well there are sales all over the store..why complain? but i paid into the store extra to get member sales and everyone else didnt, that's why...so i am thinking of selling my shares back to them so that i can come out ahead, esp since they probably will withhold some of my due return money again this fiscal year. at this point 7 dollars a month and a garnished stock check at the end of the fiscal year is not a big deal for a discount in comparison to what was promised for what i paid and also used to get, but get no longer receive, even though they still have my damn investment. also, everytime i buy produce there lately, it is rotten. 5 dollar bag of grapes, looked all good and fresh. get them home and all the grapes are moldy in a stealth way where the vine meets the fruit. and any lettuce or any other fruit besides apples has to be eaten by the next day or it is spoiled already. also, the employees get several profit sharing checks a year and i doubt those got garnished and paid in " stock " i am trying to be patient with them and it is hard. instead of completely paying me they gave me more stock instead, which should mean i would get more money back this year but i bet they will do the same as last year and give me more useless stock. what a ruse.

so i decided since we live right by whole foods now i would check it out. so i go there and all the water they sell in gallons+ is just their own brand of whole foods spring water. nothing purified by steam, distillation or reverse osmosis. if you want that you have to buy many small bottles of another non store label brand, making it more expensive and wasteful of plastics. all the cat food was mostly offered in a variety but for small bags only. big bags of cat food was their store brand only for the most part. and no bulk section. and the whole store was freezing cold. the produce was better then at my co-op mostly, but wasnt even as good as the organic section at the local crappy chain Rainbow ..Rainbow has a small selection of organics but it remains freshest longest so far. but all their other healthy food is double priced. rainbow is like the k mart of groceries. all crap but suprisingly a few good organics.

so now my weekly shopping involves a trip to my co-op for purified water, amish cream top milk in a glass bottle, bulk goods, and catfood, then to rainbow for produce that wont spoil in ten minutes or less, and if i have to, whole foods for some produce. i used to get it all in one place. our co op used to have good produce.

and trader joes is crap. they are trying to get petitions for MN to break a law to give them preferential treatment to let them open a store on the same block as our co-op and a local liquor store just so they can sell food and booze all under one roof and steal a good percentage of profits from two independently owned local businesses which are already hurting. fuck trader joes...if anyone i know shops there if they open, they is traitor hoe's. fuck that.

i used to be able to shop all in one place. now i have to go to two or three different stores and im so mad at my own store i might take my money away from them by selling them my stock back, i'm tired of getting hosed. i dont know any other way to make my point.

this recession is pissing me off and now maybe i wont even feel like trying for produce at whole foods i would go to the local farmers market but most of the shit there is not organic.

Last edited by C.R.A.Z.Y on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 pm
michaelmichael motorcycle

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
fuck trader joes...if anyone i know shops there if they open, they is traitor hoe's.

im gonna steal that. that is seriously tighte. thank you
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

michaelmichael motorcycle wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
fuck trader joes...if anyone i know shops there if they open, they is traitor hoe's.

im gonna steal that. that is seriously tighte. thank you

free for all
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:18 pm
Psycho-78

i already boycott them. the mix of b.o., patruli and high prices is enough to kill anyone's appetite
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

CRAZY why don't you just buy a water filter pitcher or faucet attachment- then you don't have to buy water period and there are no bottles to recycle? Hmmm? Hmmm?
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 am
C.R.A.Z.Y

zagadka wrote:
CRAZY why don't you just buy a water filter pitcher or faucet attachment- then you don't have to buy water period and there are no bottles to recycle? Hmmm? Hmmm?

well we just moved into a new place and would do it but we have to still replace the sink and the garbage disposal before installing. besides, when i am about riding or walking around, i like to stop and buy a gallon sometimes and drink it up on the go. i dont always have the option to leave home with one. and sometimes i just don't come home. hmm.

lol zagadaka member of the environmental police knocking on my door.

i used to not be able to afford one of those sink faucet filters. those were the days.
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

OK...well just be careful that you don't wash out your bladder or pee hole while drinking a gallon on the go.

Safety first.
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Whole Foods stock is down about 4% since the boycott began.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next