Search
Register
Lets Boycott Whole Foods
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

icarus502
kung-pwn master

crash wrote:
whole foods sucks anyway. they've got a decent selection of cheeses and their the veggies are usually fresh but their prices are insane and the selection sucks (unless you're looking for one of their 25 varieties of organic chamomile tea). you also can't buy in bulk which is really annoying. and what's with the seran wrapped peppers? so much packaging. i hate whole food so much i actually curse the place out loud when i'm forced to shop there. their whole ethic is out of wack. they lack the fundamentals for real actual cooking but have loads and loads of little frou frou things like flavored olive oils and imported balsamic vinegar... it's so fucking obnoxious. thanks for providing me with an actually legit reason to hate the store.

and yeah, farmers markets ftw. local > organic.

also, traders joe's is pretty decent cheap alternative for the whole foodesque sorta stuff.

Weird. At the WF I shop at, it's nothing like that. The produce selection is nice. The bulk section is big. The produce isn't wrapped in plastic. (That's TJ's that does that). Honestly, I hate TJ's; it's cheap but the produce looks terrible and they seem to only specialize in cheap wines and "natural" processed foods. No thanks. WF really is the most convenient place to go grocery shopping. The smaller local "natural" stores are usually just as overpriced, have smaller selections, and have just as much local produce. Plus, I've worked at (and been inexplicably fired by) enough of those places to know that they are usually operated by "local" douchebag entrepreneur types who, unlike WF, pay their employees little and don't provide benefits.

We do have a good food co-op in my town, though.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:46 pm
note1

Quote:

 Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

I'm thinking the reason that people have employee health care now is because of the tax benefits given to employers. If those were equalized...wouldn't employers tell you to go get your own care? And I'm pretty sure individual plans would always be more expensive than group rates.

Quote:

Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

This is the reliable punching bag of the right. Trial lawyers. They seem to be all law and order, harsh punishment for all criminal...except white collar crime. I dunno...the others you listed were decent I guess.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:14 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

The Count wrote:
These didn't seem so bad ...

 Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

 Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

Actually, those two are both terrible ideas.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:16 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

the mean wrote:
The Count wrote:
These didn't seem so bad ...

 Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

Actually, those two are both terrible ideas.

Wow, the first one is an awful idea! How would this not end up like the deregulation of credit cards? Wouldn't small states just act as shelters for companies that want to do things like gouge poor folk for coverage and the like?
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:42 pm
neveragainlikesheep

This guy is the SFR Forums Fox Affiliate or some shit.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:04 pm
Mark in Minnesota

Trader Joe's sucks, at least in Minneapolis. They frequently charge twice what a lot of other grocery stores do for things like green peppers, and they're willing to wade into a neighborhood that already has a very decent grocery store and lobby the city council for special treatment. (Details here.)

I personally don't mind shopping at places like Cub for much of my groceries, but if I'm going to go out of my way there are about 15 places on my list that rank higher than Joe's, even if they do sell $3 bottles of wine.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm
sparrow

oo

Last edited by sparrow on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:31 pm
Confidential

There's a running joke in Eureka, where the co-op is called the corp-op. That is why i wasn't surprised at the whole foods thing, because the slow food movement, or whatever you want to call it is a bourgeoisie movement and not all progressive moves are created equal.

Except for maybe the one about cost transparency, the rest of these points seem to serve the business class.
 Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

 Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost. How many people know the total cost of their last doctor's visit and how that total breaks down? What other goods or services do we buy without knowing how much they will cost us?

 Enact Medicare reform. We need to face up to the actuarial fact that Medicare is heading towards bankruptcy and enact reforms that create greater patient empowerment, choice and responsibility.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:56 pm
sparrow

oo

Last edited by sparrow on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:37 pm
Charlie Foxtrot

crash wrote:

I don't get this. Isn't the point of local produce to either a) help the local economy or b) not be part of a system that exploits the poor in third world countries? And the point of organic produce is to not be contributing to the widespread use of chemicals that damage the environment, yeah? It seems like the two have different goals in mind, so wouldn't people decide which one they want based on what goal they have in mind?
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:46 pm
TurnpikeGates

Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
crash wrote:

I don't get this. Isn't the point of local produce to either a) help the local economy or b) not be part of a system that exploits the poor in third world countries? And the point of organic produce is to not be contributing to the widespread use of chemicals that damage the environment, yeah? It seems like the two have different goals in mind, so wouldn't people decide which one they want based on what goal they have in mind?

Yeah. Strange opposition. How about Local+Organic = WIN!
My squash, corn, squash, tomatoes, melons, kale, chard, lettuce, carrots, peppers, onions, turnips, beets, lettuce, beans, mint, and basil are organic and backyard local. Living at the parents' isn't all bad!
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:30 pm
TurnpikeGates

BTW, why the fuck does Trader Joe's feel the need to shrink wrap all their produce? I'm in for the WF boycott, but TJ's is not a good alternative. Luckily I'm split between San Francisco and the East Bay, so there are plenty of alternatives. As yuppy and fake-progressive as the area (SF particularly) can sometimes be, there are tons of farmer's markets, co-op groceries, Food Not Bombs, etc. You're not stuck choosing between WF and MEGACORPGOOD.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:33 pm
sparrow

Last edited by sparrow on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I like Trader Joe's for their low prices on gluten free Food For Life bread. Its like $6 everywhere else and about $2.50 there. Oh and their fennel tooth paste...mmmm tastes like black licorice.

I liked Whole Foods for their gluten free bakery items and personal care products but was never too impressed with much else. There isn't one around me so I never shop there, but would probably stop having read this. Very interesting.

There is a great store down the street from my dude's house, but they don't sell produce. Its a total bummer and our farmer's market season is so short. F'ing winter ruins everything.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:01 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

TurnpikeGates wrote:
Charlie Foxtrot wrote:
crash wrote:

Yeah. Strange opposition. How about Local+Organic = WIN!
My squash, corn, squash, tomatoes, melons, kale, chard, lettuce, carrots, peppers, onions, turnips, beets, lettuce, beans, mint, and basil are organic and backyard local. Living at the parents' isn't all bad!

one of the reasons i like to buy local is because the carbon footprint is way lower due to reduced distance from the fields to the market. i also like to be able to interact with the people who grow the food i'm eating and support them directly instead of through a corperate middleman.

it's preferable to have both organic and local of course. but i find that a lot of the time the stuff at the farmers market i go to in baltimore is local and not organic and the stuff at whole foods is organic but not local. i think people put undo emphasis on organic as being good for the environment. sure its good for where ever the stuff is grown but any benifit is canceled out if you're shipping the stuff overseas or even cross country.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:59 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next