Search
Register
So, what do ya bench?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

remind

So, what do ya bench?  Reply with quote  

This can be the meathead thread, I guess. I don't even bench.

I was doing this routine where I would do 1 set for every part of the body. A co-worker put me on to this. I would do the most reps for the biggest muscle group and go down in reps as I go down in muscle size. So I would do 1 set of 50 reps on the leg press machine, for example (that kicked my ass), 1 set of 40 reps on the row machine for your back, 1 set of 35 flies, etc. You're supposed to do as much weight as you can handle staying in line with the amount of reps and you're supposed to tack on 5 pounds every week. Also, you're supposed to do a different workout for a muscle than the last time you worked it. I would do this every other day. It was definitely interesting, sweated a lot more in the gym than I did before. And it's quick...this basically takes a half hour. Had to stop though because I felt like I hit a wall. So, I'm back to lifting heavier weight again, doing multiple sets, less reps and different workouts.

But how many of you work out? Do you go to a gym? What do you do? How often?
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 am
sequence

I ride my bike, do jiu-jitsu and box. I also do push ups and pull ups everyday, and work out with kettle bells sometimes. I haven't lifted weights in years--it's probably been at least five years since I did it regularly.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:24 am
mzehe916

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to work out like that. Maybe times have changed. It's one thing to max out, but to do a full body max out seems a bit crazy.

I rotate workouts just because that is what I was taught. I've seen guys punch each other while they worked out as a way to train their muscles for mma (I think, I don't know why else they'd do that). I'm actually looking for a good workout routine right now. If anyone has a good routine then holla.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 am
Sarcastro

Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:29 am
remind

mzehe916 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to work out like that. Maybe times have changed. It's one thing to max out, but to do a full body max out seems a bit crazy.

It's not really maxing out because you're lifting relatively light weight (hence the increased reps). It's beneficial for toning up and building stamina. Also, by the time you get to your arms, you're doing 10-20 reps. It would be crazy if you were lifting as much weight as you could in 1-3 reps for each muscle group. The co-worker who recommended it is a personal trainer on the side and I didn't hurt myself or anything sooo...yeah.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:34 am
mzehe916

remind wrote:
mzehe916 wrote:

It's not really maxing out because you're lifting relatively light weight (hence the increased reps). It's beneficial for toning up and building stamina. Also, by the time you get to your arms, you're doing 10-20 reps. It would be crazy if you were lifting as much weight as you could in 1-3 reps for each muscle group. The co-worker who recommended it is a personal trainer on the side and I didn't hurt myself or anything sooo...yeah.

I am learning to read. I read it wrong. I thought you started with the biggest muscles and did a lot of weight and then worked your way around your body and just lowering the weight. Oopsy daisy.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:37 am
Travadone

that routine remind posted is such stupid bullshit i cant even get into it.

my weekly routine i lift 5 days a week on top of muay thai,boxing,bjj

depending on how my joints feel depends if i use free weights or machines,

as far as max benching,thats stupid and risk injury, i can lift 270 for 5-6 reps. thats on the olympic barbell.

highest i ever go on dumbbells are 100's.

Last edited by Travadone on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:41 am
remind

Haha here comes the authority. It was such stupid bullshit that when I told a couple trainers about it at my gym, they started doing it. Ass. It was good for a little while. Different workouts are good for different people. You should know that.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:45 am
dsodreams

Seems both workouts you listed are very different depending on how you want to look. I used to lift heavy, and just do one exercise per body part. It would be very heavy weight (for me) and I would do the exercise very slowly. It was effective, but its hard to stay in form, and also not want to cheat while doing that.

Now, I do a workout thats been exactly what I've been looking for. It consists of working the complete upper body every other day. I do one lift (bench, dips, pull ups for example) and do one ab/oblique workout. I do 18 total exercises, and aim for medium to high reps since Im not trying to look big...just toned.
If that didnt make any sense it would be like this:
1.Decline Bench w/ Free Weights (18 reps)
2.Sit Ups on exercise ball
3.Seated Lat Cable Pull (18 reps)
4.Oblique lifts with medium weight
and so on until I reach 18 exercises. I then end the 18 exercises with side planks, I hold each side for 30 seconds, then 31, 32, and 33. Stretch and get the hell outta the gym because itll take about an hour and a half.

This is of course a routine that wasnt started with this many exercises, I am just up to this point.
Oh, and on the days im not doing the upper body thing, I'll either workout legs, or do cardio...sometimes both. I also stay away from doing curls or any bicep workouts, you get enough doing exercises that dont isolate that muscle.

The last couple weeks ive been wondering why there is no workout thread.
Bam here it is!
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 am
Travadone

Travadone wrote:
that routine remind posted is such stupid bullshit i cant even get into it.

my weekly routine i lift 5 days a week on top of muay thai,boxing,bjj

depending on how my joints feel depends if i use free weights or machines,

as far as max benching,thats stupid and risk injury, i can lift 270 for 5-6 reps. thats on the olympic barbell.

highest i ever go on dumbbells are 100's.

personal trainers are jokes.

ill take a strength and conditioning coach over "personal trainers"

rosstraining.com

look it up lame

Last edited by Travadone on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 am
ROTTY

Oh this thread belongs at sherdog.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:47 am
Travadone

ROTTY wrote:
Oh this thread belongs at sherdog.
i agree...remind should go to the training forums over there...alot of good posters
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:49 am
passenger

i do circuit training 5 days a week. About 45 minutes of non stop mix of weight training, core, cardio, etc. Average about 5 different routines per set and do about 5 sets. Great for losing weight, getting cut, some gain, and overall strength and health. I change out two different workouts per week to keep the body guessing. I almost threw up and / or passed out every time i did it for the first week but after that it gets SLIGHTLY easier... it works for me and i enjoy it and feel good because of it.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

i bike at least 10 miles a day and this fall i'll be rowing 2-3 times a week. that pretty much takes care of everything.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am
Travadone

i hate this thread and the weak attempts you people put into "working out"

try

crossfit

rosstraining

5 x 5 routine
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next