Search
Register
Trav and Phil
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

redball

[booking flight to Denver*] I hope this is an open invite.

*not serious.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 pm
Stumbleweed

Yessir... people who come to Denver either get a meal from me or we go out somewhere awesome like Domo (where Erich and I went). Erich's the only one who's taken me up on it so far though.

Last edited by Stumbleweed on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Stumbleweed wrote:
It's a pear tatin, which is a pear (stuffed with a star anise pod and then a fake "stem" made from a vanilla bean) coated with puff pastry, sat face-down in a pan caramel, then baked off in the oven. Homemade french vanilla ice cream on the side.

That's a Gordon Ramsay recipe -- very easy to make aside from the damn touchy caramel... that one got a little dark. The caramel grabs the pastry and makes a nice crusty sugary awesomeness barrier around the pear then the pastry is crispy on the back.. Basically, it ruled and I'll make it again when pears are actually in season.

That looks fucking heavenly! Where on earth do you find whole star anise pods?
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:59 pm
Stumbleweed

At the Asian market... got a big ol' bag of them at home that I've managed to work through thanks to making pho and stuffing 12 or so in my spice ball at a time. Haha, they were like $1.99 for the whole bag too.. I love my neighborhood.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Ah. Since I asked with the hyperbolic "where on Earth," I thought you (or someone) would have simply said "China." Word. Asian market.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:03 pm
Asterax

icarus502 wrote:
Asterax wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
malpractice wrote:
Hellen Earth wrote:
Trav and Phil are more like dudes I know in real life than most of the people on this message board.

this

I don't anyone like them in real life.

That was probably the most revealing statement I have ever heard you say.

Well I think that was the most revealing thing I've ever seen you write. Given that I've posted extensively about my family and my history and my friendships and relationships and worklife and ideas on controversial topics, that you would think the fact that I don't have any friends like Trav is more "revealing" says a lot about you. Especially since I don't know anything about you at all.

Nah man, don't get defensive with me. I never said the word "friends."

I don't identify with Trav's personality (I have no opinion on Phil), but I have been exposed to it growing up in New England. There are a lot of Travs in NE. Anyone on this board who grew up in Boston, Providence, Manchester, Portland, Burlington and Portland knows a Trav.

I consider you to be a pretty smart and worldly individual. The purpose of my statement was to underlie the surprise I felt towards you having never been exposed to someone like Trav in real life, not necessarily friends. With all your analysis of Blakes and what not, you've never met a Trav? Shocking.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm
Travadone

whats that video of the lizard that sage really likes?

that is so spot on for this area is nuts.

yeah,there are alot of travs around in new england and new york.

we are douche bags, east coasters.

fuck you.

i wouldnt expect a lame like icarus to know real people. guy lived in kentucky LOL.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:14 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I'm really embarrassed about the "Blake" thing. BTW.

And, no. Not really. I don't really want to typecast either Trav or Phil because they're not the same and I don't really think of them as types of people. Phil is a really fascinating guy who has been very honest about himself here. He's a bit older than me, a teetotaler (I think), thoughtful father and so forth who is a very strident anti-racist. I don't know that there are a lot of "Phil's" running around.

And Trav. Nah, not really. If the description that you're making of the sort of Trav's you know is accurate, then I can say that I might have met a very few. I remember hitchhiking through Providence once, a long time ago (2000?). Sage wasn't in town but I was hooking up with Bles and Prolyphic for a minute. They had us meet them at some party at (I think) URI. Me and my friend had to spend a bunch of hours among some white dudes playing beer pong and talking loudly in that awful RI accent (the worst in the country). I'd never even seen beer pong before and I haven't since except on TV. Those guys were kinda 'Travs.' But they were more Chads than anything. Maybe they were just the closest thing I've really had to spend time around. We don't really have guys who talk like that lizard in Kentucky. We have our own brand of White Guy That I Would Never Really Hang Out With but I've never really hung out with them. I've done a lot of traveling and I know a lot of different people but none, I don't think, who would troll on a message board and write the shit that Trav has here. I'm sheltered, in that sense. I dunno.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 pm
Asterax

icarus502 wrote:
I'm really embarrassed about the "Blake" thing. BTW.

And, no. Not really. I don't really want to typecast either Trav or Phil because they're not the same and I don't really think of them as types of people. Phil is a really fascinating guy who has been very honest about himself here. He's a bit older than me, a teetotaler (I think), thoughtful father and so forth who is a very strident anti-racist. I don't know that there are a lot of "Phil's" running around.

And Trav. Nah, not really. If the description that you're making of the sort of Trav's you know is accurate, then I can say that I might have met a very few. I remember hitchhiking through Providence once, a long time ago (2000?). Sage wasn't in town but I was hooking up with Bles and Prolyphic for a minute. They had us meet them at some party at (I think) URI. Me and my friend had to spend a bunch of hours among some white dudes playing beer pong and talking loudly in that awful RI accent (the worst in the country). I'd never even seen beer pong before and I haven't since except on TV. Those guys were kinda 'Travs.' But they were more Chads than anything. Maybe they were just the closest thing I've really had to spend time around. We don't really have guys who talk like that lizard in Kentucky. We have our own brand of White Guy That I Would Never Really Hang Out With but I've never really hung out with them. I've done a lot of traveling and I know a lot of different people but none, I don't think, who would troll on a message board and write the shit that Trav has here. I'm sheltered, in that sense. I dunno.

I am getting into dangerous territory. I as well do not like stereotypes, but they are effective until they don't make sense. I don't know Trav well enough, but it will be easier for you to understand why he writes the things he writes if you've met people who are from his region.

Do you have the Life is Easy DVD? Do you remember that scene where there is a random clip of a young drunk white man with a thick Massachusetts accent talking about how the cops "threw him against da cah" after he "went to go see Sage." More likely than not, that's a Trav. Hell, maybe that is Trav.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:33 pm
Stumbleweed

Pretty sure Trav doesn't drink at all.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:36 pm
redball

I know people like Icarus and Trav (their online personas, at least) and I've called them all friends. I tend to gravitate more towards the Icaruses of the world anymore.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm
Dan Shay

Stumbleweed wrote:
Pretty sure Trav doesn't drink at all.

Travadone wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
I'd post all the lyrics as it's one of my favorite songs at the moment, but I'll hold off til early next year. Not to big up myself, but the Zero song is not a song I could have written when I was 18. Well, maybe I would have. But it wouldn't sound like an 18 year old wrote it. Where as, the Who Farted song will definitely cross that line. Xaul fuckin Zan undermining my every move.
xual zan...
Last night I had chinese...and as a non-drinker I decided to order a small scorpion bowl...I've never had one of these,or what's in it...I drank it quick...ate my rice,chicken wings...got up...thought I was gonna have a panic attack was good after 5 minutes...went to sears essentials...bought a free standing heavy bag,I gave the box in the store a muay thai. thrusting knee and as it fell over in front of some people I assured I was buying it...sang sexy back thru a filter from the auto department...flirted with the cashier,went home...filled it put the shit together...hit it a few times...took it apart and gonna return it. Took a shower and got into some tight boxer briefs that show my cute ass and nice package. And then threw on my xual zan jersey

Thank you for reading, you stay sexy male dominated message board.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

icarus, trav, phil -- I would like to invite you guys to my apartment for a beer summit. just a few guys, hanging out, talking through some issues over a couple cold ones. let me know what flavor you like. I'll have it chilled real nice.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Travadone

Bandini wrote:
icarus, trav, phil -- I would like to invite you guys to my apartment for a beer summit. just a few guys, hanging out, talking through some issues over a couple cold ones. let me know what flavor you like. I'll have it chilled real nice.
i dont drink. icarus openly drinks in front of his kids and asks "can you grab me a beer" i dont like that shit at all.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:50 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

a non alcoholic beer then. or a protein shake, or whatever it is you drink.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next