Search
Register
owning your own bidness
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

laurapalmer

owning your own bidness  Reply with quote  

I made it to a year today. Not bankrupt, not out of business. I had three businesses before, but this is the first one that I have actually lived on exclusively and that is sustainable. and technically, i am supporting 4 people on it.

However, I am considering just taking a soul sucking job with someone else, because as anyone with a business will tell you-you work all the fucking time. paid, unpaid, makes sense, doesn't...you just work. all the time. i usually work a normalish day from 9-5:30. take a break. back at it by 9 at night, sleep around 1. up at 5:45, workout, cook, shower, back to work. seriously wearing myself thin. I am taking my first day off in a year on monday.

Until last week I was like, this is amazing. and then i audited my timesheets and time i spend on doing stuff that i don't get paid for like taxes, proposals, marketing for myself, guest blogging, accounting and realized...this might not be a very good trade off.

who does it, wants to do it and what's your input?
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

It's hell, mate.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am
neveragainlikesheep

Grats. I've always considered running a business myself, but I have no clue about where to start and how to get capital.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:36 am
Travadone

Having a platinum thread deleted burns my soul a little.

I'm in the business of making threads and posts.

My 2nd quarter numbers are down now.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 am
tommi teardrop

Gorwing up, my dad always had his own business. While I know that he enjoyed being his own boss, he always seemed to subtly imply that it was not worth the headache. He hardly ever got to take any time off for vacations or anything, and we pretty much just scraped by the whole time.

I think his goal was to build the business up to the point of being able to sell it, which he did. Then a year later the people that bought his business sued. He got raped in attorney fees and the whole thing was a wash and he had to start again.

He also had several deals in place to go to South Africa and set up a shop out there, but that fell through as well.

At the same time, I could always tell how rewarding it was for him to actually make a product that people wanted. Even if he was stressed he always seemed happy going to work, which is more than I can say for myself at the moment. So, I don't know.

I've been thinking about trying to start some internet business and just building it really slowly, but at the moment it's just a thought.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:59 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

its so hard.

i worked PT and had 2 businesses the other PT (which was really like having a FT job and another PT job). It was fine until all three sources of income really slowed down and my partner and I came to the realization that having steady income, set hours, health insurance, etc. were more important at the moment. There is always time in the future to start it back up again.

I thought it would make me feel sad, but it was actually really liberating. As much fun and rewarding as it was, there was constant worry about EVERYTHING and that can take the fun out of the work at times.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:31 am
Travadone

zagadka wrote:
its so hard.

i worked PT and had 2 businesses the other PT (which was really like having a FT job and another PT job). It was fine until all three sources of income really slowed down and my partner and I came to the realization that having steady income, set hours, health insurance, etc. were more important at the moment. There is always time in the future to start it back up again.

I thought it would make me feel sad, but it was actually really liberating. As much fun and rewarding as it was, there was constant worry about EVERYTHING and that can take the fun out of the work at times.
sell me ur used underoos.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 am
neveragainlikesheep

Travadone wrote:
zagadka wrote:
its so hard.

sell me ur used underoos.

Just for your information, I can get more for said underoos on the panty market over here in Tokyo than Mr. Travadong can offer you.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 am
Stumbleweed

zagadka wrote:
its so hard.

Is that why you're having a clearance sale? =(

Might get that Bandini shirt...
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

there's a bandini shirt?
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

Stumbleweed wrote:
zagadka wrote:
its so hard.

Is that why you're having a clearance sale? =(

Might get that Bandini shirt...

yup!

We had another project going for clothing that just never came to be, we had looked for over a year for a competent seamstress who was reliable and knew what they were doing.

There have been a bunch of things along the way that have made it very challenging in both a good growing sort of a way and a lame i'm sick of being broke sort of a way. I'd like to be able to have a savings, health insurance...its more of a priority right now than living out my ideals.

and yes, there IS a Bandini shirt. Its probably my favorite one we ever made.

and maybe i will have to consider selling my undies on the tokyo black market when my unemployment runs out...
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am
kese

Sage Francis wrote:
It's hell, mate.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
neveragainlikesheep

zagadka wrote:
and maybe i will have to consider selling my undies on the tokyo black market when my unemployment runs out...

I'll be waiting.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 pm
Travadone

Zagadka,what's ur contact info.

Idea for trav shirt.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm
IAmNiki

I started my own petcare business last october. I'm poor by some poples standards but id rather be doin my own thing than working for someone else. Though I guess really I still have to answer to my clients. We should be incorporated soon.. I've got high hopes that we will still be afloat and prospering by this october. It is exhausting and I'm more stressed now than ever, but one day ill be able to say I built my business from the ground up, and the possibility of that makes it worth it. Plus I play with dogs all day. Kinda hard to lose either way.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next