Search
Register
Director John Hughes RIP
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

phataccino

badjerk wrote:
To whoever mentioned Phoebe Cates' chesticles - I dont think Hughes had anything to do with FTARH.

You're right. I confused that with the Breakfast Club for some reason.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:24 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

tommi teardrop wrote:
Spike Lee has more realistic and plot-relevant white characters, by far, than John Hughes has people of color as characters. All this bullshit about Spike portraying whites as evil racists is some myth that got created and white people love to run with. Just off hand I can think of a number of sympathetic and respectable white characters in his movies. And to be fair, I can also think of a handful of black or minority characters that are portrayed as the scum of the earth. I sometimes wonder if people actually watch the dude's movies when they start spouting off this shit.

This. I think it's a strange reflexive thing that causes many white people to be suspicious about claims of racism by white people but believe that anti-white racism is just as prevalent or as relevant. Spike Lee and John Hughes are incomparable as filmmakers. Spike Lee has made a career largely making films that attempt to address some of the realities of race in America and has actually done so in a largely delicate way that has resisted stereotyping on precisely racial lines. Even in, say, Do The Right Thing his most racialized film the conflict is racial and it seems so natural but it also seems to be far beyond the characters that precipitate it. Can you really say that any of the characters, even someone like the represented an unadulterated racial stereotype? Sal? No. Vito? Fuck no. Pino? How could he be a stereotype when his own father and brother are differentiated, precisely, against him? This is ridiculous. John Hughes, on the other hand, did not deal as Spike (usually) does in reality or verisimilitude. His films almost all exist in some kind of fantastic world in which everyone of any importance is white. Unless they are an unadulterated racial stereotype there to play off the white characters' natural proficiencies.
Tyler Perry made more sense as a comparison but I'm proud to say that I've only seen one a couple of his films (and a few Madea episodes that I have wiped from my memory banks). All of his characters, though, are stereotypes of some kind as his works generally is allergic to subtext of any kind. If a character or a plot has no depth and only exist to perpetuate a mildly-humorous black Christianist morality play, how can they not rely on stereotypes?
John Hughes was ten times the filmmaker and humorist as Tyler Perry (if a far lesser filmmaker than Spike Lee). I really enjoyed some of his films, even Ferris Bueller and Sixteen Candles. But it's totally worth to point out the strange racial nature of his oeuvre. And, apparently, a lot of people (do a google search) are doing so today.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:41 am
neveragainlikesheep

I don't know.. I started to question Spike's sanity when he started calling racism on Clint. That was pretty fucking weird.

Do the Right Thing was a great film.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:08 pm
Travadone

Icarus,shut the fuck up.

you live a white mans life. Suburban cocksucker.

Black when it suits you.

Stop acting like you give a fuck.

You're worse than white people saying I'm irish on st patricks day
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
I don't know.. I started to question Spike's sanity when he started calling racism on Clint. That was pretty fucking weird.

Yeah, that was weird. I questioned him long before that. As early as his commercials for the military or 'She Hate Me' (one of the most bizarre, underrated films this decade).
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:17 pm
neveragainlikesheep

icarus502 wrote:
neveragainlikesheep wrote:

his commercials for the military

How bizarre. Let me mosey on over to youtube.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm
Shinigami

icarus502 wrote:
But it's totally worth to point out the strange racial nature of his oeuvre. And, apparently, a lot of people (do a google search) are doing so today.

glad everyone decided a good time to do this is when he's dead and can't defend himself. can someone not just pass away without having to be drug through the mud?

R.I.P.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I've complained about that attitude before. It's so confusing. Like, last week, before his heart attack, there was going to be some reason for a broad conversation on whether or not Ferris Bueller's Day Off had questionable racial politics? Deaths are a good time to size up someone's life and effects. We celebrate people and remember their lives. But part of remembering their lives and their works entails taking those things seriously and thinking critically about them. It's perfectly reasonable to have this conversation now. When else?
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:24 pm
Travadone

if we were to ever meet icarus I'd beat the shit out of you. Beat the racist out of you.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Shinigami wrote:
icarus502 wrote:
But it's totally worth to point out the strange racial nature of his oeuvre. And, apparently, a lot of people (do a google search) are doing so today.

glad everyone decided a good time to do this is when he's dead and can't defend himself. can someone not just pass away without having to be drug through the mud?

R.I.P.

Don't be so dense. When well-known people die we reflect on their lives and contributions. How he represented (or failed to) people of color in his films is significant and worthy of discussion. Hughes' death has prompted this discussion and it's ridiculous to suggest that we censor our commentary and ignore the realities of his films just because he "can't defend himself."
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 pm
Sarcastro

icarus502 wrote:
Sixteen Candles, with the Asian guy. And the dance scene in Ferris Bueller... I really didn't like the way black people were utilized.

I want to inflict physical pain against you. I want you to suffer at my hands.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 pm
redball

Shinigami wrote:
can't defend himself

What the fuck is this? The only celebrities that can defend themselves on this board, or would bother to if that, are indie artists, C list Hollywood types, and Kyle Orton. Dude's heartbeat means nothing to this.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:36 pm
Travadone

Sarcasto I have this covered. Icarus is a cocksucker. Guy isn't nice with the hands or posting.

I own this guy.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:39 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Travadone wrote:
Sarcasto I have this covered. There's no room on here.

Fixed.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 pm
Travadone

icarus502 wrote:
Travadone wrote:
Sarcasto I have this covered. There's no room on here.

Fixed.
u take the time to edit my post.

Ur a weirdo for real.

I feel like u play dress up and put on lipstick.

You remind me of tracy chapman

"U got a fast car..."
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next