Search
Register
Director John Hughes RIP
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Travadone

icarus502 wrote:
Sixteen Candles, with the Asian guy. And the dance scene in Ferris Bueller... I really didn't like the way black people were utilized.
now you're offending me.
What do you know about black people? You don't relate to one black person.
I'm blacker than you.

You make me sick.

Black when its convienent for you.

I'm black all the time.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 am
neveragainlikesheep

icarus502 wrote:
Sixteen Candles, with the Asian guy. And the dance scene in Ferris Bueller... I really didn't like the way black people were utilized.

Better back off on talking shit about the Donger or you are gonna have some dick to peal off your stomach, mister.

I can see your point though. That character definitely was a walking Asian stereotype.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:45 am
passenger

dude wrote Dutch... doesn't get much better than that
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am
Shinigami

barely made it a page on a R.I.P. thread before allegations of racism, might be a new record.

cause black directors like Spike Lee don't stereotype white people or anything.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 am
Shinigami

passenger wrote:
dude wrote Dutch... doesn't get much better than that

i forgot about that, one of the best movies i used to watch on VHS constantly.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:22 am
FranktheP

icarus502 wrote:

Good point. Its the same way I feel about the white charachters in many Tyler Perry projects.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:32 am
neveragainlikesheep

Shinigami wrote:
barely made it a page on a R.I.P. thread before allegations of racism, might be a new record.

cause black directors like Spike Lee don't stereotype white people or anything.

No kidding though..
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:37 am
passenger

there's stereotypes of EVERY race in film, TV, etc... who cares. quit being so sensitive. I don't get offended when a white person is portrayed like dork who is afraid of everything and everyone different from him and wears a cardigan around his waist... it's a story, it's made up, sure it feeds into more stereotypes but they were already there in the first place.. it's just entertainment.. Donger made me laugh.. that was his purpose in the film and one of my favorite characters in the movie.. i don't judge asians based on Donger...
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 am
phataccino

Jesus fucking christ. Saying "I didn't like the way black people were utilized" in someone's films isn't necessarily an allegation of racism. And people don't get a pass on everything questionable that they've ever done in life just because they die. If you watch Ferris Bueler and at some point you don't consider how different races are used or not used in the movie, you're either wilfully ignoring it or an idiot.

I think Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is my favorite Hughes film. And Pheobe Cates sans red bikini still brings back fond childhood memories.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:49 am
Charlie Foxtrot

The fact that there are racist black directors doesn't make racist white diectors' actions okay. Never seen a Tyler Perry movie, but I'll be the first to agree that Spike Lee is a racist. That being said, I don't see how his racism makes what Michael Bay did in Transformers not an issue.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:02 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Doesn't the mexican guy steal homie's car in Ferris Bueller's Day Off?

I get a gross feeling when I watch most things on TV/in movies that squeeze stereotypes into spots without acknowledging that its a stereotype. It sucks.

But I don't think Hugh's films really have a "racial element" so much as he just wasn't conscious of playing into stereotypes (and making movies about well-off white people's problems). It bothers me when I watch that shit, but not enough to ruin it for me. I don't think its nessicary to attach that to the guy's passing. He made some classic films.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:04 am
tommi teardrop

Spike Lee has more realistic and plot-relevant white characters, by far, than John Hughes has people of color as characters. All this bullshit about Spike portraying whites as evil racists is some myth that got created and white people love to run with. Just off hand I can think of a number of sympathetic and respectable white characters in his movies. And to be fair, I can also think of a handful of black or minority characters that are portrayed as the scum of the earth. I sometimes wonder if people actually watch the dude's movies when they start spouting off this shit.

John Hughs movies are very white. I like them, but they are very white. Almost as if race doesn't exist or play a part in most people's lives. And it probably doesn't consciously for most whites. So maybe it is an important perspective to look at in film. Wes Anderson is pretty similar in that respect. Lots of directors are. I can still enjoy their movies. But that doesn't mean that we can't mention it when we see the scenes like the one mentioned from Ferris.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:13 am
badjerk

I was reading something about how when asked about the lack of diversity in his films, Hughes responded with something like, "I cant pretend to know the black experience in America." Good enough for me. Ferris Bueller is a classic, and I never thought of the guy that stole the car as mexican - pretty sure he was a greasy white dude.

To whoever mentioned Phoebe Cates' chesticles - I dont think Hughes had anything to do with FTARH.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

what critical breakfast said and tommi's second paragraph.

i haven't watched enough spike lee to comment on his stuff.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:16 am
passenger

Royal: Are you trying to steal my woman?
Henry Sherman: I beg your pardon.
Royal: You heard me, Coltrane.
Henry Sherman: "Coltrane"?
Royal: What?
Henry Sherman: Did you just call me Coltrane?
Royal: No.
Henry Sherman: You didn't?
Royal: No.
Henry Sherman: Okay...

cracks me up every time
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:18 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next