Search
Register
Sage outside the US
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Flossin

Sage outside the US  Reply with quote  

Hi, I've been reading some threads on this forum for a while but didn't post before. Don't hate on me if this thread has been done a hundred times already.

I don't know if many people from outside of America post on this forum but I was interested in asking them a couple questions like:
-how popular/unpopular is Sage (or any SFR artists) in your country? Do you know many people in your country/city that are listening to Sage?
-was there ever a Sage Francis show in your country? How was it? (I'm especially interested in this if you're from a country where not everybody speaks English. Did it completely ruin the interactions with the crowd and stuff like that?)
-how did you start listening to Sage and from where did you learn about him?
-what is it that made you like it?
-what other rap music do you listen to? (underground/mainstream/whatever)

Those questions may seem pretty silly but I've been wondering exactly where is the non-American Sage "fanbase" located and how does it all look like over there. I'm from Poland. I'm 23 years old, been listening to Sage since Healthy Distrust came out (though it didn't come out over here,lol) and listening to hiphop since I was 11. I don't know anybody in my city (and it's the capital city and it's pretty big) that listens to Sage Francis or is at least familiar with his music other than my friends who started liking his stuff after hearing it in my house. I don't have many friends though so that might be part of the reason, but from what I know Sage is pretty much an unknown artist over here and hiphop has been popular here for a long time and a lot of artists like say Company Flow, Aesop Rock and other indie artists get SOME recognition here (hell, some underground rappers even do shows here like C-Rayz Walz, Mr. Lif, Ugly Duckling and lots more). I never met a Sage fan or heard about one over here though.

So enough of my bullshitting and please let me know how it looks like in other countries.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:54 pm
Travadone

prolyphic is a virgin,and so is jared paul. thats all i know at this moment.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:40 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

whaaaat.......
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr Jenkins

Ohh, a survey! what do i get?

Quote:

-how popular/unpopular is Sage (or any SFR artists) in your country? Do you know many people in your country/city that are listening to Sage?

Im in small town in New Zealand, dont know that many, in my town its more so the metal kids than the rap kids that like him.

Quote:

-was there ever a Sage Francis show in your country? How was it? (I'm especially interested in this if you're from a country where not everybody speaks English. Did it completely ruin the interactions with the crowd and stuff like that?)

Went to show in our capital wellington, we speak english, show was wicked.

Quote:

downloading, found cage, then atmosphere, then sage all in the same year 7 years ago, i brought Hope on CD, still one of favs, then got all of sages albums on LP xcept deathdance (not big balling, just didnt steal it all)
-
Quote:

what is it that made you like it?

i liked hiphop for long time, tribe, cypress, krs.. but could actually relate to slug/sage lyrics.

Quote:

im slowly getting over rap in general, sad for me, hope its a phase, artists tend to take things in new direction or 'taking it back' the only direction i'm really fond of is Busdrivers Jhelli Beam, Nosaj Thing doing beats, etc... and other music, glitch, dubstep, ambient, instumental hiphop (depart from me instumentals fav at mo) just weird shit really, project mooncircle (glen porter, etc) always tends to please my ears.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 pm
Flossin

Mr Jenkins wrote:
Ohh, a survey! what do i get?

Im in small town in New Zealand, dont know that many, in my town its more so the metal kids than the rap kids that like him.

Went to show in our capital wellington, we speak english, show was wicked.

Cool, someone actually answered this seriously. I guess there's no problem with just going to a record store and just getting Sage stuff of the shelf, is there? That stuff gets no distribution over here. Actually the only indie rap label that does get good distribution in the stores here is Def Jux (but for some reason it's mostly "Bazooka Tooth" and RJD2 though. sometimes El-P), all the other stuff you can usually order somewhere but the prices suck enough for me to just order it from the SFR site or whatever and get it directly.

I was interested in the language barrier on shows (though it doesn't concern NZ) cause I saw some Sage interview where he was talking about it and I also went to many shows where the rapper would ask the crowd a question and part of it would answer it and 70% of it would just stand there happy, looking like morons. It's pretty awkward, though it's thankfully not always like that. I would like to see a Sage show but I doubt he has any touring plans for this part of Europe.

Quote:

downloading, found cage, then atmosphere, then sage all in the same year 7 years ago, i brought Hope on CD, still one of favs, then got all of sages albums on LP xcept deathdance (not big balling, just didnt steal it all)

i liked hiphop for long time, tribe, cypress, krs.. but could actually relate to slug/sage lyrics.

Cage was actually one of the first underground rappers I 'found' too (I started looking for some more "obscure" stuff right after I got terribly bored with what was happening in mainstream rap), along with some Eastern Conference stuff, before that label turned terrible. I listened to El-P before that and then I just started looking for more stuff to listen to on the internet. Got most of the Sage stuff too, except the "sick of" cds that aren't on the SFR store (which is too bad, cause I wanted to have "Andy Kaufman" and a bunch of other songs on a CD).

Quote:

im slowly getting over rap in general, sad for me, hope its a phase, artists tend to take things in new direction or 'taking it back' the only direction i'm really fond of is Busdrivers Jhelli Beam, Nosaj Thing doing beats, etc... and other music, glitch, dubstep, ambient, instumental hiphop (depart from me instumentals fav at mo) just weird shit really, project mooncircle (glen porter, etc) always tends to please my ears.

Right, that new direction thing is pretty popular lately and change is good but definitely not all of it is for the better.. I may have to check out Busdriver too cause I heard about him but never actually listened any of his albums. And listening to other stuff than hiphop is always a good thing.
Anyway, thanks for replying to all that. It was an interesting read.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:46 pm
Confidential

No one here in this town really knows who sage is and I live the the US.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

There's 2 people other than my self i know listened to him, before i spread the word back in 2000.In Pensacola, FL.

mem
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shinigami

one time i got a free Quizno's sub cause the guy at the register liked my Sage hoodie, true story.

kinda surprising for Iowa.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:19 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

Travadone wrote:
prolyphic is a virgin

I think this is my favorite thing you have ever said. Good times.

if he continues to make music an puts out a mixtape that should be the name of it.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:57 pm
duck_shoe

I can't be bothered to answer all of the questions but I can vouch for Sage's popularity outside the US. I get stopped at least once a week by a random person who likes my Sage hoodie. The encounters range from pleasant and welcome(babes) to unpleasant and kind of annoying(toothless dudes in camo shorts and Tap Out t-shirts)
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:14 pm
Prontoid

Re: Sage outside the US  Reply with quote  

Flossin wrote:

Sage is probably equally popular in Melbourne per capita as in the states - he's done some shows down here a few years back and could fill around 400-800 person venues. Aesop Rock, Cage, Atmosphere and El-P all had no problems filling the same venues.

I dare say his popularity has possibly waned over the last few years down here - mostly due to the transient nature of people into 'underground' music here.

I started listening to Sage in 2000 when I was was digging on Anticon, Def Jux and alot of the rappers that the internet popularised around this time. I discovered him through friends recommendation and Napster. It wasn't until Personal Journals dropped that I really rated him.

Sage's music really spoke to me at that time (I was around 20). For a while he was pretty much my favourite rapper - not on a hiphopinfinity level of jocking but not far off.

I been listening to rap music since 1988, I've been into pretty much everything in some shape or form.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:51 pm
smake

Flossin wrote:

- Concerning popularity, I don't really follow the press here that much, but the biggest music magazine here does review his records (positive I might add). Also, Dutch hiphopsites also know him, he has performed here a couple of times, from really small to smaller venues and people do know his name. He wouldn't pack a full house here though, but the fans of more underground hiphop know his name. My friends now his music, at least the ones that like hiphop, cause of me.

- As far as I know there were several Sage Francis shows here in The Netherlands. I only found out about his music around A Healthy Distrust, so I went to his last show. He stated here he doesn't want to tour to Europe anymore (though he did visit Belgium with B. Dolan last year or so). The show (in the Milky Way in Amsterdam) was amazing. It was in the small hall of The Milky Way and wasn't sold out (think half), but people who were there were fans. Saw lots of people rapping along with every word. The interaction was great, here in The Netherlands we speak English very well (television is subbed, not dubbed) so we know what artists are saying/singing/rapping. The show was brilliant btw. Great setlist (Escape Artist, Damage, Bridle, Makeshift Patriot, Climb Trees and more) and the performance was incredibe, one of my most fond live memories. I think Sage would have gotten a bigger crowd if it the show hadn't moved to that day, when KRS One was playing in the big hall of The Milkyway (next door). But, as Sage made us yell: where's the real hiphop? Over Here!

For your interest, here is a review on a dutch hiphopsite of the show I visited (in English) and it gives the show a 9/10:
http://hiphopinjesmoel.com/articles/1507

- Started listening to Sage because I was interested in new music, something different from the indierock, folk and singer-songwriter music I listened back then (and still listen). Wanted something different lyrically also. Then his track, Sea Lion, was featured at Pitchforkmedia (yes!) and I knew about Will Oldham and became curious about a hiphop track with him. Since then I have collected the rest of his material, etc.

- Why I liked it? The fact that it was totally different from what I normally listened. Also, the lyrical content, the beat was something totally different and the collaboration with Will Oldham was great. In the past I did listen to some Eminem, but found only his more serious tracks to be good. This was something completely new for me, interesting subjects, better wordplay, and the intonations on Sea Lion are just great. Opened up a new world so to say.

- I basically started with Sage's music and then started following this forum and recommendations from others. My favorites besides Sage are Prolyphic (the Reanimator record is the best record of last year), Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Aesop Rock. Also enjoyed the records of Cecil Otter, P.O.S. Cage's Hell's Winter and some more. As I said, I usually listen to indie-music more. Also really excited about the new B. Dolan record, House of Bees just makes me want it even more.

Btw, not to big on making new threads, but here is videointerview with that same site from 2005 (with the long beard!)
http://hiphopinjesmoel.com/articles/1512
And a Dutch review of a show he did in a very small town, performing with his cdplayer on a chair. The text is Dutch, but the pictures say a lot:
http://hiphopinjesmoel.com/articles/333
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:28 am
doubleplusgood

Flossin wrote:

I rock my SFR shirts regularly, but I've never been approached by a fellow Sage fan about them. Mostly it's middle-aged people wondering what "Dead to this world" means. I've seen someone else in a Sage shirt precisely one time. I shot him a grin and he looked at me like I was a mental. Having said that...

Flossin wrote:

...there was a decent turnout at the last Sage gig I went to in Manchester (with Grand Buffet, when Grunge twatted his head on the ceiling beam and played on with blood pouring down his face). The show itself was awesome, the aftermath, when I found my car had been broken into and they'd ganked my laptop, not so awesome. Some of the more recent "underground" shows I've been to here have had the same 20 people in the crowd, so I guess in that respect Sage is a bigger draw than the majority of his peers (mentioning no names). I've only been to one other hip hop show at that venue which was as packed as the Sage show, and that was when Why? toured recently.

Flossin wrote:

A friend (Windom) put me on to him.

Flossin wrote:

I was already mad keen on hip hop, but was only vaguely aware of the US indie hip hop scene. I think I heard AHD quickly followed by PJ and Hope, and I appreciated the complexity of the lyrics and the production...

Flossin wrote:

...from there, I graduated to Dose, Sole, Atmosphere, Co Flow, Aes Rock. This forum's recommendations are always an interesting listen. Based on what I've got on my playlist at the moment, hip hop-wise I'm listening to Ghostface, the Doomtree collective (POS and Cecil especially), B Dolan, Why? & ODB, and outside of rap, Ratatat, Opeth and Buckethead are on heavy rotation at the moment.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:01 am
Ananasakäämä

Flossin wrote:

I'm from a small town in Finland, but still there are some people that know Sage. Many hiphop fans certainly know him in this country and I guess he has a decent amount of listeners for a small country. But the popularity has maybe declined with the decline of the underground hiphop's success over the past few years... Finnish hiphop is probably more popular than ever, but people don't pay as much attention to American ug rap than they did some years ago.

I'm sure there are still people who follow what he does though. Some of my friends have loved Sick of Wasting more than HTDD, that's what I know.

Flossin wrote:

He's done 2 shows here. Both were at the most well-know venue in Helsinki and were pretty much packed. Finnish people - and hiphop fans especially - tend to speak English pretty well and the interaction was good. Many miss some of the lyrics on the first listens and I guess the new songs that were performed live didn't work that well.

Flossin wrote:

I first learned about him on hiphopinfinity, it may have been 2000. Then I downloaded some songs and liked them. There's a good hiphop records store in Helsinki where I got Sick of Waiting Tables later.

PS. I bought Listener's cd from a second hand store in Warsaw about 4 years ago, so there must be some underground hiphop fans there...
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:27 am
Flossin

Thanks for the replies everybody.

@smake, thanks for the links. Seems like it's been a real good show and the interview was pretty funny too!

Why does Sage doesn't wanna tour in Europe anymore though?

@Ananasakäämä, I kinda like 'Sick of Wasting' more than I like HTDD too. For some reason HTDD is my least fav Sage album.
And there are definitely underground hiphop fans over here in Warsaw, I just don't know many fans of Sage in particular (though he does get publicity on Polish hiphop websites etc and I think if he made a show here it would be succesful - even if half of the crowd would consist of those same hiphop journalists;)), maybe the Sage fans are all hiding somewhere over here. That cd is a nice find though!
Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:55 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next