Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

Saw Fantastic Mr. Fox: Magnifique. The stop motion animation is beautiful. And it's fun in typcial wes anderson ways. Definitely recommend it.

Bringing up Baby: Hepburn. Grant. And a Leopard named Baby. Classic? You betcha.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 pm
smake

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a fun movie. Looked great indeed, voice acting was very good. Still found some things a bit too weird. I read the book as a kid, can't remember too much of it, but I didn't think it involved the weird family dynamic with the kid and his nephew. Also, I thought Mr. Fox was a lot smarter, he wasn't all that fantastic, kinda messed up. But nice movie, great visuals and entertaining.
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 am
Captiv8

Zombieland: I'm going to take shit for this, but I was a little disappointed by this movie. This was in part due to the large amount of hype I experienced before viewing, and also because my girlfriend would not stop cringing and verbally notifying me of her disgust at all the gore. At any rate, I'm going to break it down Amazon review style into a pros and cons list.

Pros: Woody Harrelson. This man is a drastically underrated actor, pothead, and vegan. From his roles in White Men Can't Jump to "Cheers" to Natural Born Killers to Seven Pounds to Zombieland he has one of the most diverse filmographies I've ever seen, and for good reason. He's a champ.

The presentation of the movie was great, especially the zombie survival list and death scenes.

Great gore, which is essential for any zombie film.

Bill Murray and his mansion.

Snappy dialogue (though I think it could have been better at times).

Harrelson's Desperado shootout scene at the end. Really his entire segment at the amusement park.

Cons: The fact that there is an obviously widespread zombie outbreak and everyone is so well-groomed. I'm pretty sure if I was Wichita I wouldn't take the time to do my fucking hair every day like I was trying to impress someone. Also, the electricity is still running. Everywhere. I'm not looking for absolutely authenticity in a film like this, but c'mon. At least show me a little destruction and apocalyptic stuff other than a few car-littered highways.

Jesse Eisenberg doing a very accurate Michael Cera impression the whole movie. We know from The Squid and the Whale that he's capable of so much more.

The idiocy of the theme-park scene. I've already discussed the idiocy of the still-working electricity, so I'll leave that be. But why o why would you light up a park like that, with all its bells and whistles, in the middle of the night like a huge zombie magnet? Think with your head, not your hearts zombie survivalists. How the hell did you make it this far? And why would you get on a ride that goes up and inevitably MUST COME BACK DOWN to escape zombies? Lunacy.

The ending was really abrupt. And how the fuck are they continuing to fuel this gas-guzzlers (which is an issue unto itself; wouldn't it be wiser to use a fuel-economic vehicle in the ensuing degradation of a zombie outbreak? Less is more, motherfuckers.)?

----------------------------------

In the end Zombieland was a film with huge potential that went the way of mainstream appeal. I suppose that's understandable in today's tough economic times, even if it let's us hardcore zombie genre fans done something fierce. I understand, however, that it's hard to top a zombedy (see what I did there?) like Shaun of the Dead. That said, I've seen an assload of zombie movies and 90% of them suck. So somehow, despite it's flaws, this one still makes it into the top ten. It's a mad world.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:07 am
Captiv8

I wanted to make a separate post for Martyrs, which I watched last night.

Holy shit. I can't recall a more intense and unsettling cinematic experience. This is, in my mind, how a horror film is supposed to be done. You're lured into thinking that you know where it's going, and you find some small comfort in this, like the suspense doesn't affect you as much. And then BAM! the movie goes in another direction, and then another, and then another. Even the predictable elements, which were shortlived, had twists in them that made things very interesting.

The "family destruction" segment was brutally fantastic, and really captured the apprehension of vengeance AND the calm before the storm. I also liked how they worked in a little of The Ring with the psychological manifestation of Lucie's demon.

Watching the rescue of the girl in the "torture chamber" was difficult and unsettling. It was horrific and its graphic nature and depressing in its revelation: I found myself thinking that the most merciful thing to do would be to kill the prisoner.

And then there was the process of martyrdom for Anna. My God. The one thing I found myself questioning was why she didn't resist the process more. Alas, I guess it wasn't mean to be. At any rate, watching this beautiful girl being slowly broken and transitioning into a shell (quite literally when she's completely skinned) of a human being was heart-wrenching. This big brute (who I mentally referred to as Bruno) was beating the hell out of Anna, and it was hard to watch. Cringeworthy.

Ultimately, that was the best part of Martyrs. It was so disturbing, but in a very real way. There was no supernatural force, just pure fucked (in)humanity. The comparisons to Hostel are obvious of course, but this was like a much more cerebral and psychological version. This one is going to stay with me for a while folks, as a benchmark for contemporary horror films and an incredible realization of a concept.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 am
mancabbage

yesssss martyrs is the shit, check out swicthblade romance tooo... good stuff, dodgy ending but its still worth seeing.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:25 am
Captiv8

mancabbage wrote:
yesssss martyrs is the shit, check out swicthblade romance tooo... good stuff, dodgy ending but its still worth seeing.

You can understand how at first I thought you were recommending a shitty emo band to me, mancabbage. So un-you. Then a quick IMDB search showed me it's another name for High Tension, which I've seen. I liked it, though you're right about the ending, which reminded me a lot of Identity. The French are upping the horror ante, no doubt.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:29 am
Travadone

captiv8 girl is a lame.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:37 am
Captiv8

Travadone wrote:
captiv8 girl is a lame.

Only when it comes to gore, sir.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 am
Confidential

futuristxen wrote:
Watched Der Baader Meinhof Komplex. Holy crap fun movie. Makes a good double feature with Fassbinder's Third Generation.

I want to read the book now.

good movie. I lost sympathy for them when they got to the Palestinian training camp.
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:14 pm
Travadone

boondock saints 2 was very bad. wow.
Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:30 pm
futuristxen

Haha I figured it would be. Straight to DVD, no?
Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:48 pm
Travadone

futuristxen wrote:
Haha I figured it would be. Straight to DVD, no?
it should of never been made. it was dumb and made me feel stupid watching it,the name of the sequel 'all saints day' ugh
Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 pm
AharonHebert

Just watched, $9.99, really good, the animation and cinematography had me feeling like I was seeing some new type of art. I was hoping it would be similar to the darker Moral Orels and it was sort of but the visuals were so much better than I could have imagined. Great mix of reality and "fantasy" and I really dislike most fantastical things.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 pm
smake

Boondock Saints II was pretty bad, dissapointing too. Basically the same movie, but you have all seen it before in the first. And Julie Benz filling in for William Defoe (which is not possible ofcourse). Still, I did enjoy myself, but it should not have been made like this.
Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 am
Oh Daesu

smake wrote:
THE FIRST Boondock Saints was pretty bad, dissapointing too... ...it should not have been made AT ALL

FIXED
Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next