Search
Register
District 9
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

DM

JohnnyTruant wrote:
District 9 is so boring for the first forty minutes. The documentary style is lame in my opinion. For only spending 30 million on the film, the special effects were great. I never felt like the Aliens looked awkwardly fake, or hoky.
However, you can pretty much not come for the first hour, then sit down and enjoy a decent quality sci fi action thriller

Whaaat?

So you dislike the crazy footage and great premise that the beginning sets up? It's even slightly political and says a lot about tolerance and treatment of "the other".

But you do like the part when the "alien and human become friends and blow everybody away" part?

I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:29 pm
passenger

This movie was fantastic in all aspects. I for one thoroughly enjoyed the combination of half documentary half live action as it added to the whole tone of the film and wouldn't have been the same if it was one or the other. This film had an original and highly interesting premise, well acted, effects were on point, well directed, connection with the characters, and more people blown to bits than any movie i can remember in recent time... bravo
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:58 pm
Ardamus315

just saw this. movie was great. how they developed the main character was unbelieveable; great directing and the plot was out of left field.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm
TurnpikeGates

Pretty surprised by this movie... didn't really know what I was getting into. I don't really go to actionish movies very often, and I wouldn't have seen this if I didn't tag along with friends.

I'm interested to read some critical race analysis of this (besides mine, which I'm about to give you: boom!). It has obvious connections to both the Palestinian occupation and South African Apartheid. In some ways I think it implied weird moral equivalences and universal human tendencies. Like plopping this enclosed alien ghetto down in the middle of a population that used to be in an enclosed ghetto was kind of a transparent set-up for the idea that (black) Africans would treat "aliens" just the same as the White colonists treated them, given the right conditions. On the other hand, this setup also brought home the cruelty of Apartheid and ghettoization, and how in-group solidarity and xenophobia engender oppression. The depiction of the Nigerian warlord/savages was particularly stereotypical and crude, though of course fruitful and entertaining for the narrative. In general the servility of the black MNU workers was pretty abhorrent, too.

Basically, this was probably the most layered and intelligent sci-fi/action movie I've seen in.... ever? The Moon was awesome, but on a totally different tip (still political, though). The action and violence was truly in service of the story and theme. There were some strange holes and inconsistencies, though mostly minor. One of my favorite things was the way they made the protagonist both sympathetic and culpable at the same time. He's really to blame for much of the shitstorm, or at least for participating in it, but he's also in a tough spot, and easy to relate to. He's not that attractive, intelligent, or charming (though action movie bulletproof), and he's really not even selfless or morally courageous. He seems like a normal guy. The evil forces, too, seem like real evil forces. The main MNU asskicker is obviously a bit of a caricature, but the corporation's motives seem more believable than your typical "evil corporation."

All in all, definitely a movie that I'll try to see again, and worthy of much discussion. Maybe the title of this topic should be changed, cause I almost didn't open it since it seems to be old/discussing the trailer.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:24 pm
metachronos

Saw it yesterday. Loved it. I'm so glad that an original movie is enjoying such success. It has better characters, plot, dialogue, cinematography, and effects than Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2 and had a fraction of their budget. The action scenes were way more awesome and gory than I would have expected.

The only thing I didn't get was why the prawns let themselves get jacked up by the Nigerian dudes so much. They seemed to have the advantage both physically and technology wise, they could have fucked up that warlord and his posse so easily.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:36 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

they could yes but they needed them to bring in all food and catnip and the things they wanted
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:50 pm
benjy compson

most above average critics/discerning moviegoers
have nothing but praise for this film; perhaps
benjy will convince himself & his partner
to leave their lair, shell out an andrew jackson
w/ some washingtons, & see it on the big screen
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:51 pm
C.R.A.Z.Y

PatrickBateman wrote:
Psycho-78 wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
my boyfriend is jumping up and down to go next week. he keeps saying " awww, i wanna go to that one, that one with the aliens! "

dating a third grader?

did never never land kick you out?

not a third grader. he just gets excited about " dude " movies and when i dont want to go to them he always gets bummed out so we will compromise and pick some other flick but then once in the ticket line he will start wigging out and trying to convince me to see the ultimate dude movie instead of the film we decided we could both agree on.

he wanted GI Joe, I wanted Bruno...we compromised on Moon. Yesterday he wanted to go see GI Joe again, but we compromised on The Goods. Next week I want to go see The Hurt Locker, and he wants to go to see District 9 so I will probably just take a dive on that one so that I can force him to go see the Hurt Locker with me the following week.

maybe he is a third grader. he does want to go to see GI Joe over and over again and everytime I refer to the main character as GI Joe he gets all bent and keeps reminding me that " GI Joe is not a person "

wtf, he is a third grader. ha.

one movie we can both agree on wanting to see when it comes out though is Iron Man 2. we also both agreed on Dillinger. he gets so excited when i want to go see what he calls " ultimate dude flicks " but i can never drag him to foreign films with subtitles.

I told him though I draw the line at Transformers movies. No fucking way. But i'd probably fold on that if he'll agree to go see The Informant with me.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:16 am
JohnnyTruant

DM wrote:
JohnnyTruant wrote:
District 9 is so boring for the first forty minutes. The documentary style is lame in my opinion. For only spending 30 million on the film, the special effects were great. I never felt like the Aliens looked awkwardly fake, or hoky.
However, you can pretty much not come for the first hour, then sit down and enjoy a decent quality sci fi action thriller

Whaaat?

So you dislike the crazy footage and great premise that the beginning sets up? It's even slightly political and says a lot about tolerance and treatment of "the other".

But you do like the part when the "alien and human become friends and blow everybody away" part?

I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old.

I wouldn't quite call the opening footage crazy, the beginning set the movie up well, I just didn't enjoy watching it. The premise is intriguing, but I felt like they changed what this movie was about halfway through production. With all of the viral marketing and posters they made it feel like the aliens were a part of society but in the actual movie it was more of a prison.

Forgive me, I was really into the idea of this movie after cloverfield came out and it turned out to be a different monster than I anticipated. My bias may be to blame.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:30 am
box johnson

How can you have seen this movie and doubt there will be a sequel? So blatant, it's painful.

And as much as I enjoyed the premise, I don't see how they can execute the second film. Especially when out of the 2.5 million prawns, there was ONE who wasn't eating tires and ripping apart old appliances like a poorly trained house pet. The narrative of the prawn, to me, went untold. Give me something to work with, District 10.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:16 pm
bigsole
Bought his character on ebay

i really loved this film. i agree i could have learned more about the "prawns" but i suspect they left a lot of the detail in to build on in the future.

what i liked about it is that with good science fiction it not only is fasciniting imagery/ideas but when there is some deep criticism in there. their treatment of the prawns was brutal.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:48 pm
pyite

Saw it two days ago.

whacksauce
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:51 pm
Captiv8

pyite wrote:
whacksauce

You were aroused by the prawns, too?
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:23 am
Basilisk

I liked it, but I was pretty uncomfortable most of the time. There was a lot of things that were hard to watch, and I almost walked out several times. When they're making him shoot the alien weapons especially.

Glad I saw it, but I won't be buying the DVD. I don't think I could sit through that again
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:50 am
passenger

Easy on the P word people! Jesus! ...... of all the place i thought here was the one place we wouldn't be throwing that word around so loosely.... disappointed to say the least
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:54 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next