Search
Register
Religion as Philosophy
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

FUCKTHEWARgirl

Religion as Philosophy  Reply with quote  

I noticed in some thread, talk about how Religion has divided people for the last few thousand years.

Which is very true. Not doubting that.

BUT for me, the very core of the definition of Religion is emphasis placed above the profane. The majority of human beings have an urge to find something, anything greater than themselves. Something divine. Even the earth-based religions created sacred things.

It is sad to me that people do not think twice about the nature of sacred versus profane, or that there is such a thing as either, or they feel the need to differentiate.

Religion is dogmatic philosophy.
At the first tier of socialization, you have a child asking its parents existentialist questions (who am i? where did i come from?) and the parents usually have no better answer than what they have been told. Snowball effect. Go make your bed now.

"Religion is Society worshipping itself" -E. Durkheim

It's all just a whole lotta organized perception and metacognition.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ObliO

www.prs.org
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:54 pm
Succintroundabout

It's what I keep telling everybody, "looky here, we exist to reproduce and pass on our phenotypes; those phenotypes most successful survive, and increase in frequency in a population; thus we have evolution."

I don't possibly see how there COULD be a higher purpose than survival, after all, we are descended from bacteria. I mean do bacteria have a higher purpose or what?
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:15 pm
Soul Khansenses

Succintroundabout wrote:
It's what I keep telling everybody, "looky here, we exist to reproduce and pass on our phenotypes; those phenotypes most successful survive, and increase in frequency in a population; thus we have evolution."

I don't possibly see how there COULD be a higher purpose than survival, after all, we are descended from bacteria. I mean do bacteria have a higher purpose or what?

You're confusing an inclination of nature with purpose.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:21 pm
Succintroundabout

I forgot to mention I believe in God, my bad.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:45 pm
Succintroundabout

Soul Khansenses wrote:
Succintroundabout wrote:

You're confusing an inclination of nature with purpose.

No, I'm pretty sure I'm not. I ask you, does a dog have a higher purpose than surivival?
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:46 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

people just need to accept religon as that ....and people that dont accept religon just need not to accept it......not change a persons point of view <same thing religon does>

i think that made sense.....
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:47 pm
MrHourGlass

...  Reply with quote  

St. Thomas Aquinas accepted the perceptions of Boethias, philosopher of the Dark Ages, whom was tremendously influenced by the famous Classical era men of thought, Aristotle, Plato, Cicero etc. There are definite correlations among religion and philosophy...also some discrepancies....I'm actually undecided on what way to lean towards. Is anyone with me? One MUST find the mean within the extremes though. It doesn't seem right to say God created the earth in 7 days. But it also doesn't seem right to say that we are purposeless beings...One can only hope that we are more than a mere rock orbiting a star. To be absolute in any definition of existence is EXTREME. Find the mean...

Peace

HourGlass
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:56 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

the way i feel abouit it is ....the half second before you 'die' or whatever before your eyes close....is when i think i will find out if god exists....

stressing your life over proving yourself worthy over some 'higher power' doesnt make sense to me or if we are a ansecstor of some group of 'yettis' from 'x' amount of years ago

its all irrelavent in my opionon........

<edit> im kind of drunk but this is pretty close to how i feel about this...

ok ill shut up now
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:26 pm
firefly

Truth is a pathless land

The Philosophy of Jiddu Krishnamurti

I maintain that truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. That is my point of view, and I adhere to that absolutely and unconditionally. Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. If you first understand that, then you will see how impossible it is to organize a belief. A belief is purely an individual matter, and you cannot and must not organize it. If you do, it becomes dead, crystallized; it becomes a creed, a sect, a religion, to be imposed on others.

That right their sums up how I feel about religion. Religion was created to control the masses. It's a way to conquer land, make money, form armies and inflict fear into people so they don't disobey.

But that's religion, that doesn't mean that I don't beleive in a higher power. I do in fact believe in a higher force, but not because it makes me feel better, or because it's what I was told to believe. I believe in a supreme energy because I have felt it and I think I'm begining to understand it.

This began for me when I started viewing the universe as one. I later started noticing the cycles in life; how the sun sets then rises, how a flower dies, leaves it seeds and then grows another. I see EVERYTHING as part of me, in motion, on it's own course.

So being observant, being aware of life's rhythmn and listening to my inner voice is my religion. I am everything, I am nothing, I am God.
Post Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:40 pm
hippo

Blashphemy  Reply with quote  

Quote:

So being observant, being aware of life's rhythmn and listening to my inner voice is my religion. I am everything, I am nothing, I am God.

To say you are God is really egotistical. The ideaolgy of you knowing the whole universe and knowing the knowledge of everything, is propostourus. You're not an omnipotent diety so I dont see where you're getting thinking you're God. Maybe a god but not the God. You are simply a living human.

I mean that's what I believe.

You can believe whatever the hell you want.

I just think that taking God's name in vain is kinda foolish.

To me, it's like life is a never ending cycle.

God is the neverending presence, the oracle, the connection humans choose to ignore when they do wrong..

I can go deeper but it's late and blah...

[]D e a c e !
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:41 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MrHourGlass

Re: Blashphemy  Reply with quote  

Hiphopapotamus wrote:

Quote:

To say you are God is really egotistical. The ideaolgy of you knowing the whole universe and knowing the knowledge of everything, is propostourus. You're not an omnipotent diety so I dont see where you're getting thinking you're God. Maybe a god but not the God. You are simply a living human.

I mean that's what I believe.

You can believe whatever the hell you want.

I just think that taking God's name in vain is kinda foolish.

To me, it's like life is a never ending cycle.

God is the neverending presence, the oracle, the connection humans choose to ignore when they do wrong..

I can go deeper but it's late and blah...

[]D e a c e !

I don't think he meant it literally. I think he means, he is understanding his own course in life, he is his own 'god' so-to-speak.

Firefly, You make some good points. But not all religion is primarily based on what you described it as. I, personally, don't know what to believe in nor follow, but I do see many positives in many different religions. For example, the teachings of temperance and moderation in Eastern religions, charity and philantropy. Respect for all life, decorum etc, blah etc. You get the point. So I don't know if it's safe to completely deviate from all religions and their positives. That's pretty close-minded. But if you feel right about what youre seeing, then go for it.

Peace

HourGlass

HourGlass
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:53 am
August Spies

No. Religion and philosophy are serperate things. Philsophy is rational abstracted thought, Religion is faith about supernatural beings.

The two things interesect, to be sure. There are religious philosophys, but only in the sense that there are economic philosophies. There are, but philsophy and economics are not the same thing.

Religion is the opiate of the masses and god is dead. The sooner we can stop speaking with His rotting flesh in our mouths the sooner we can move on.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:01 am
MrHourGlass

food for thought  Reply with quote  

August Spies wrote:
No. Religion and philosophy are serperate things. Philsophy is rational abstracted thought, Religion is faith about supernatural beings.

The two things interesect, to be sure. There are religious philosophys, but only in the sense that there are economic philosophies. There are, but philsophy and economics are not the same thing.

Religion is the opiate of the masses and god is dead. The sooner we can stop speaking with His rotting flesh in our mouths the sooner we can move on.

do some readings on Plato and Aristotle's 'unmoved mover'. This is the philisophcal acceptance of an entity. A cause. Supernatural, if you will. There are correlations. Although, to the naked eye, philosophy is very abstract.

Peace

.Hour.Glass.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:05 am
August Spies

MrHourGlass:

I have done a lot of studying of Plato (who is a dimwit in my book) and aristotle as well. Yes supernatual aspects are discussed within philosophy, no doubt about it, but this does not make religion a philsophy. There is NOTHING philosophical about the Bible. THere are no reasoned arguments, there is no logic, it is just faith.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next