Search
Register
the official RTB thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

cubbiebear

how i felt at least. Everyone was drunk and high. Looking at girls or day dreaming about whatever, hard to catch their attention with anything more then a beat and simple chorus.

Anyone see Raekwon? Boo
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 pm
adic

I haven't been to the shows, but based on the cubbiebear footage, I would say you shouldn't open with climb trees... It's one my least favorite songs in the catalog and I could see why the crowd is probably less responsive after the previous performance given that particular song/beat...
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:02 am
sick_transit

adic wrote:
I haven't been to the shows, but based on the cubbiebear footage, I would say you shouldn't open with climb trees... It's one my least favorite songs in the catalog and I could see why the crowd is probably less responsive after the previous performance given that particular song/beat...

climb trees is one of sage's best songs. the crowd went nuts for it at paid dues last year.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:27 am
futuristxen

I think it also has the best hand motions. If you don't want to climb trees, I don't want to stand next to you at a festival. real talk.

I remember when that came out before Personal Journals and it was like the first like real taste I had of what was coming. I like bought a record player just to play that if I remember correctly.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:55 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'm not really looking for recommendations on how to handle the set. I was just expressing that it's particularly difficult figuring out how to finagle the energy considering the circumstance. But it's working out fine.

That was the first time Climb Trees had been performed since the last Paid Dues. I figured I'd give it a chance again, and it was pretty good. I like how there are various styles and breakdowns within that one song. Probably won't open up with that again, but it was fun to do in a field full of huge trees. I should have actually climbed a tree while performing it but I didn't have the proper gear.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 am
Jelly87

I will be seeing you guys in Boston, Ma. I will be posting a full review after. Full of pics and such.

FYI, Sage and KRS are the only reasons I'm really attending this festival. Well, now its also Slaughterhouse. Ive seen all the other acts I want to see more than 3 times and it gets dull...I can never get bored of a Sage show. KRS is my hero and Slaughterhouse is just nasty.

Sage, idk if you thought of this yet, but you and B. should do a Kid N Play dance type of deal to get the crowd goin. You could get a tight ass fade, B could have the hightop goin on with some loud shirt..it would def be brutal noodles.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I did the Kid 'N Play kickstep with SOS on the tour we did in 2005. Had to retire it after that. Plus, B can't dance. His House of Bees dance is quite pathetic if you ask me.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 am
Jelly87

Ah, I didn't catch that tour, wish I did though now that I know you did the KNP. And since B cant dance, I think the only option you guys have now is to come out with gunz(yo) and start blastin mofo's.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 am
metacognition

Climb Trees is fun to see performed live! I remember Sage thrusting his hands up in the air, one after the other, and the crowd began "air climbing." I can see similar effects happening with "Pump." Is that song on the set list? What about "Bounce" or "Escape Artist" or "Dance Monkey" with a dance off between Sage and B...just ask DiViNCi to show him how to do the shuffle step across the stage. Seeing Sage do a suicide flip again would be killer. :)

I can give you a ride to and/or from the SF RTB show and/or elsewhere, if need be. Just give me a shout.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 pm
laurapalmer

thank you for the hook up. sorry i didn't see you around. i was two people behind dolan for most of buckshot before he bailed out, but couldn't grab him in time.

so...not everyone can perform with a live band. in fact, most of the acts on the mainstage sounded like hammered shit (most certainly including the roots).

two exceptions: charlie 2na did a great set, and the band sounded really crisp. i would say i like j5 and some of his other stuff, but wouldn't say i was a huge fan or anything prior to the show. that said, i was really into it.

k'naan was superb and a half. i hadn't really listened to his shit before the show, so i was knocked on my ass. he did fatima, somalia, wavin flag, abcs...it was tight. powerful stuff. when he went acappella it was ridiculous.

low lights:

the roots sounded like total shit.

supernatural. same freestyles for 15 years.

reflection eternal. yikes. just...yikes. swallowing the mic and yelling at top volume. the worst of the worst on the mainstage. don't you worry, the worst shit was on the paid dues stage, getting to that.

medium lights:

common. so...on this tour he is for the people, and for true hip-hop. The band sounded really bad, his song selection was really awful, he brought out kweli to swallow the mic, an uninspired Dave made a cameo…but the first verse of I used to love her, a decent freestyle, pushing the dj in the spotlight for a minute, and common acting like he actually wanted to be there made it steady medium. If he would have done better songs and the band would have been even average…who knows.

big boi...okish. really poppy. i guess i haven't paid attention to his music lately or something, because it was....really just...pop. his heart seemed into it and all that...but damn...just not a direction that interests me at all.

didn't see enough nas, busta, or tech nine to comment.

paid dues stage:

highlights-

buckshot was absurd. must see.

mop. must see. unlike other kiddie stage and main stagers that thought yelling would make them sound harder or get people's attention and sounded like shit, they sounded perfect. but...that is mop. and...damned if their music didn't sound hard as hell too. open air and the music left my head ringing.

Sage and dolan. -I walked up and held it down center back just as climb trees kicked off. One of my favorite Sage songs, but not sure if it really did the intro well. I was surprised that strange fame and conspiracy to riot worked so well live (david bowie/complex lyrics), but the crowd seemed to like them and I thought they were super. Sea lion, makeshift patriot, damage, one breath left, house of bees were all great. Not a cut off of HTDD eh? The crowd had thinned out a lot after MOP for food and more beer, so that was too bad.

The big negative was that your music sounded quiet. I don’t know if it was the channel he was running the cd into, or if the sound guy dropped the volume or what. After the cd skip and with maybe 3 songs left the volume seemed to have been adjusted up a little. I noticed that Necro was fairly quiet too, as well as slaughter house.
Medium lights:

Wu lite. I already know to expect unintelligible yelling, long pauses where they try to figure out what is next, them late to stage, incoherent in between song thoughts, and the absence of my favorite members…but, that said, they were the best I have ever seen them. And having a decent dj (alchemist) helps. And if you are keeping track at home, “fuck joe budden” was said a few times. All that said, I still ended up leaving to head home.

Eyedea and abilities.
I have no real opinions pro or con usually. The sound was really different, and I will try to check out their new record. They went over better than I would have expected. Weird.

Lowlights:
Necro. Yell, yell. New york. Fucking fuck. Yell. He spent a lot of time hopefully walking around after he played to get recognized-and wasn’t. My favorite moment, he is talking to a fan and kind of out of nowhere he was like, “do you want a picture?” the fan just kind of froze and then slowly said, “uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.” Lolz.

slaughterhouse. The singular worst performance at RTB. How bad? The following four things happened during their set.
1. A kid wearing their shirt took it off and dropped it on the ground. ($30 shirt)
2. A dude smoking a blunt said to me as we were walking up, “that must be more of you white people”
3. Widespread and open laughter
4. A girl leaning against the fence fell asleep

Evidently doing a performance and doing a mixtape are two vastly different skill sets.

Murs. Lost his voice, yeah. But even before then, fairly boring and not really a good host.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:33 pm
xxdr. mad69xx

Climb Trees is da shit. You must be crazy.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:08 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

One reason there is a noticeable dip in volume from the MOP set to ours is because their DJ keeps pushing up the volume from the mixer. The soundman has to adjust to that. When we get on stage, everything goes back to normal, but peoples ears need the volume to either stay the same or increase. And since I'm not the kinda dude to yell at a soundman and say "turn the fucking music up" we're stuck with a sissy ass volume. I'll make sure to talk to the soundman ahead of time about this in future shows. Not sure it will make a difference but it's worth a try.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:11 pm
Confidential

Not trying to tell you where to take your set, but I also pictured starting with a low, mysterous tone like with the feel of the first track on hope, to get the stoned lingerers curious, then go into
"Iv'e got a gun.....Bumbumbumbum...GET THE FUCK UP"
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:13 pm
cubbiebear

find out what M.O.P.'s going to wear and open with "Different" in the same outfit
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:27 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I am shocked Sage doesn't want comments from the peanut gallery on show tips. I mean c'mon we all have far more experience then him on the matter.
Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:17 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next