Search
Register
www.itlookedbetterinthead.com
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

sick_transit

www.itlookedbetterinthead.com  Reply with quote  

I was inspired by knowmore and the right for consumers to know the truth behind products when i decided to start this. It might not be the first of it's kind, but i want to make it the best. It's side by side comparisons of products (mostly food) the way they are marketed and the way they actual look. Submissions would be nice!

http://itlookedbetterinthead.com/
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 am
erich

seriously? why dont you just stop eating trash? you'll be a lot less disappointed.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:25 am
Ardamus315

erich wrote:
seriously? why dont you just stop eating trash? you'll be a lot less disappointed.

regardless of what the man eats, its a good idea. not alot of people are willing to admit the ads these companies put out about their products are not at 100% of how its presented.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:58 am
redball

I haven't had a toaster strudel in a decade, but when I was a teen I'd eat that shit with blissful ignorance. Back then, as an impatient teen, I was able to not only do a better job than the lazy jerk who took that picture, but I was able to get reasonably close to the picture on the box. Cut a smaller hole and make a crisscross pattern.

There's so much material that would fit on this, but so far the submissions are lazy. Don't use the played out picture of the worst Domino's bread bowl ever. Get your own and take a picture.

Oh, and don't put before and after pictures of meth addicts to amp up the shock factor. Use a hyperlink so people can reference it or skip it.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 am
erich

Ardamus315 wrote:
not alot of people are willing to admit the ads these companies put out about their products are not at 100% of how its presented.

really? i thought this was common knowledge; i think i figured it out by the time i was in elementary school, at least.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am
Sarcastro

there was an ad for a "don't believe in ads" campaign and it was absolutely perfect for what you have on the site. It was a fat, hairy guy standing in front of a full length mirror with nothing on but a pair of Calvin Klien underwear and he's looking down at the box that the underwear came in and the model that's on the cover.

I've been looking for it for a minute now to post in this thread, but couldn't find it.

also just doing food gets old quick, diversify motherfucker.

edit: It wasn't Kramer's idea to sell only the muffin top, it was Elaine's. classic episode, slap yourself for forgetting the details.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 am
Buddy Peace

I keep seeing it as "It Looked Better In My Head" - I think it's the "thead" bit. I didn't get it at first.

Kramer did come up with a pizza restaurant where you bake your own pie though. But I don't think that ever came to fruition. Probably for the best.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:03 am
leifkolt

The box ad for the bonzai water slide is pretty bad. I'm fairly sure that they scaled down the pictures of the kids on the box to make it look like kids could actually have fun in the pool. Ah, yes, the marvels of photoshop...
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:11 am
Nahgied

Buddy Peace wrote:
I keep seeing it as "It Looked Better In My Head" - I think it's the "thead" bit. I didn't get it at first.

same
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am
Joshua Kane

Nahgied wrote:
Buddy Peace wrote:

same

I think this is a cool fun useful idea, but I gotta agree with the above quote, its tough to pick up the meaning of 'thead' in the context of the rest of the URL...
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:03 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

erich wrote:
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:07 am
Stumbleweed

Yep, put me in the "t head" group... I was confused until mid-way through the thread.

And yeah, the best stuff would be the misleading shit like that pool slide thing -- I think pretty much everyone knows that fast food burgers don't end up looking like their TV counterparts. Unless it's something shockingly bad (like if you actually ordered the pasta bowl and got that monstrosity) or something where the size is overstated, etc., there's not a whole lot of shock value to it.

The toaster strudel thing is just moronic.. as someone else mentioned, if you know how to handle a pastry bag, it's the exact same principle. Instead of ham-handedly tear off a huge chunk of the packaging, neatly snipping it (as they advise in the instructions) would enable you to drizzle the icing on just like the box picture. I did that when I was 10 I think... used to make it look just like the box. It's also best if it's warmed slightly as it gets drippier -- if you take it out of the freezer and use it immediately, of course it's gonna be gloopy. I used to rest them on the side of my toaster as a kid ha.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
redball

icarus502 wrote:
erich wrote:

Even if you don't eat this stuff it's still a decent idea for a blog. I think the execution is just a little off.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 am
Coffee Black

Yeah the strudel thing is stupid but it still looks like peter north attacked it and therefore it is the most horrific.
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:55 am
Jascha

Haha I love this idea.

The McDonalds menu lists are a bit of a pet peeve for me. I can't help but point out how they don't look like the real deal, at all. Even though everybody knows.

I think the site needs beter design though. :X
Post Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next