Search
Register
Cage - Depart From Me
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

ArthasX

After finally listening to this album many times through now, I have come to some conclusions:

The production seems to be the obvious area of criticism for the record so far. Understandably so. Not that its terrible. Its experimental, but in a bland, uninspired way. What makes it all the more frustrating is the flock of producers Cage usually comes with - El-P, Camu (he surely left some bangers behind), Blockhead, RJD2, and even Aesop Rock. Hells Winter had some fantastic beats and to know cage for some reason thought it better to select what he did instead is ... frustrating.

I have always been a fan of cage`s writing. He is clever in his words and skilled enough to provide an interesting flow to his sometimes unconventional lyrics. This record is no different. Its nice to see his story-telling continue as well.

I will say a success of this record is how uncomfortable it is at times. For someone seemingly obsessed with his image (i swear, one more interview where he mentions his haircut or jeans and how they are percieved ... ), he comes out with some pretty raw, and potentially embarrasing admissions on this record. Its nice to see an emcee grappling with self-presentation to the extent cage is. Weather any of it is true to who he is, or even if it comes across to the listner as cage intends makes it all the more interesting.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm
Travadone

this is the cage i like:

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:49 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

ArthasX wrote:
After finally listening to this album many times through now, I have come to some conclusions:

The production seems to be the obvious area of criticism for the record so far. Understandably so. Not that its terrible. Its experimental, but in a bland, uninspired way. What makes it all the more frustrating is the flock of producers Cage usually comes with - El-P, Camu (he surely left some bangers behind), Blockhead, RJD2, and even Aesop Rock. Hells Winter had some fantastic beats and to know cage for some reason thought it better to select what he did instead is ... frustrating.

see this is what i dont get at all , i mean besides some mighty mi beats Cage has always had erie out of the ordinary production to match his style...this album brings that x10!!!!!

i bet if the production credits listed those producers you name dropped people would be all over this shit
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:04 pm
mancabbage

someone slip some pcp into his green tea please
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:09 pm
ArthasX

Neuro wrote:
ArthasX wrote:

see this is what i dont get at all , i mean besides some mighty mi beats Cage has always had erie out of the ordinary production to match his style...this album brings that x10!!!!!

i bet if the production credits listed those producers you name dropped people would be all over this shit

If your trying to tell me that any of the guitar-drudgery tracks on this album are "erie out of the ordinary" in any way that can compare to "stripes", "Hells Winter" "Too Heavy for Cherubs" "Blood Boy", "Got Wet" "Dead" "Weatherpeople" or hell, "Agent Orange", you are out of your mind.

And yes, I do realize that El-P and Aes both have beats on this album ... and they are subpar for their standards.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:13 pm
poopsnack

I still like the INKY e.p. more than the CD. :(
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:23 pm
Mac Lethal
the one with the back hair

Travadone wrote:
this is the cage i like:

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rBVJ5f0T_2E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why?

Cage rapping horrorcore over a Dipset instrumental is kinda blah.

He shanghaied fools with this new record. I love it.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:42 pm
eddiehaskill

OK I have to admit that I jumped the gun a bit here. I'm actually liking the majority of the album. First listen was tough and thats my fault for writing too soon. After about 5 listens i pretty much like the whole album except "Kick Rocks" and "Beat Kids". Wow, what a turnaround from where I was 2 days ago.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:54 pm
Ardamus315

Travadone wrote:
this is the cage i like:

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

This Cage was dope, too, but how long could he keep doing that style for? And not go beyond that? Face it, he developed once he started dealing with other shit in his life besides making those tripped out songs about Stoney Lodge and etc. I think Hell's Winter definitely pointed to his change up in the game.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:21 am
eddiehaskill

It would be very interesting to see Necro go down a similar path and try something experimental besides heavy metal infusion. Let the hate begin
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 am
box johnson

CAGE IS A WANNABE THUG WITH FAKE PAIN!!!!????
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:42 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

haha those Vast Aire quotes should be used more often. They're golden.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:50 am
Alias@anticon.com

TAKING CHEAP SHOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????/
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

box johnson wrote:
CAGE IS A WANNABE THUG WITH FAKE PAIN!!!!????

yea really what the fuck was up with the kid you said that>?>??

id like him to break it down.....

mem
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
box johnson

prolific memorie wrote:
yea really what the fuck was up with the kid you said that>?>??

id like him to break it down.....

mem

ALL YOU DO IS SIT AT HOME, AND CRY ABOUT YOUR DAD WHO PUT HIS FINGER BUTT WHILE HE DID HERON!!!! GO WRITE A SONG ABOUT THAT!
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next