Search
Register
Well, hello there Burger King
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

futuristxen

firefly wrote:

Basically what you're saying is that if a store owner puts up a sign that says "Tom's used book store" that he is tricking people when in fact that is just a very basic form of honest advertising.

See. I think even that is about fucking with people's minds. If people wanted a book, they wouldn't need a sign telling them about it. They'd just look up the address in the phonebook and go get it. The existence of that sign is all about "hey sucka give me your money". The font he chooses, the location he puts it at, the colors of the sign, even the name of the book store, are all elements of his con game.

Just because it's not ostentatious doesn't mean he's not running game.

And you brought up SFR's ads, look at the Sleep one up there at the top right now. Look how prominent Del is in it. That's a conscious choice to hit a certain demographic, and catch a certain kind of legitimacy.

It's all about fucking with your mind in it's own way. You think there's not an effect from seeing that ad every single day every time you come to this forum, along with the three stickied threads about Sleep before you can even get to a discussion topic? Would you know that you wanted a Sleep album if you weren't being told that you wanted one?

It's the way the world turns, that's why they call it money. I don't get the whole being ethical about brain fucking people. I say be cognizant of what you're doing, and go crazy with it. At least it will be interesting.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:36 am
futuristxen

Shinigami wrote:

Yeah, but duh :)
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

You can't market most things without exploitation, manipulation and deceit. Especially fast food. What are they to do? Have a 300 lb. truck driver get in a commercial and say, "This factory produced seven inch slab of Brazilian mystery meat has 1300 calories, 70 grams of fat and would take a 5 mile jog to burn off. Not that I'd ever jog that much in a lifetime, but it's a very honest thing to say in a television commercial. Not to mention the medium fries and medium Coca-cola that comes with the "value" meal adds another 770 calories. Please buy it because it's scientifically loaded with taste and you'll get hooked if you have no willpower.."
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:54 am
firefly

T-wrex, you make a good point. For companies like Burger King, if they would use honest advertisements they probably wouldn't do very well and might even go out of business. But that's exactly why companies should use ethical advertising. This shit is fucking up the whole world. To use Coppertone as an example where they have nurses telling your kids that sun damage could cause cancer when there are independent scientists who believe that Coppertone actually causes cancer. That advertisement could actually kill someones children because of their deceit. As extreme of an example that is, it could be true.

Futur, I don't agree that putting up a sign so that people know you exist is "fucking with people's brains". I don't think it's possible to ethically fuck with people's minds. I see the design of a sign as semiotics which you seem to see it as mind fucking. I just see it as communication. It could be used for mind fucking, but it doesn't have to be. Using the Sleep example, for an artist who might not be that well known, highlighting another more well known artist who is appearing on the album is a strong way to communicate what type of artist he is to people who don't know him. I don't see that as unethical, just good communicating. How is putting Del on the ad trickery?
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:16 pm
mancabbage

good communicating when it suits you, mind fuckery when it doesn't. its all the fucking same, your trying to entice a response out of someone, if you can get some emotion in there too then you're onto a winner

They really really should have released this ad as a dude, rather than a woman. same caption and everything
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:38 pm
firefly

Yeah, isn't it funny when guys like to suck dick. Fuck outta here with this shit.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:10 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

firefly wrote:
Yeah, isn't it funny when guys like to suck dick. Fuck outta here with this shit.

It's not?

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:18 pm
NeverWinter

mancabbage wrote:
firefly wrote:

The only thing that advertising needs is honesty and ethics. Exploitation, manipulation and deceit should have no place in advertising.

lol

Anyone remember this movie?

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 pm
mancabbage

firefly wrote:

Piss off jesus, i have gay friends you know. they let me, i asked them, its cool.

hah

I thought it was obvious but maaaaagrgh, i'll explain anyway.

if i was doing this ad, i'd have done it as a dude, not because it the act of a man sucking penis is funny, but because the reaction to it would have been, - as an ad it would have worked better - any publicity is good publicity - you follow..? now.....

BK doing an ad that hints at OMFG MEN SUCK PENIS TOO!?!?!?! . would have gotten them a shiiiiiit load more publicity, people would have written all types of pretentious blogs about it, is this pro gay!? is this anti gay!? - has the time come when the old phrase "sex sells" now includes homosexuality when promoting a product thats meant to appeal to all!??!!?!? WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!?! - basically, it would have provoked a shit load more people, more people would have seen it. win.

Of course, idiots would be all up in arms like omfg this ad has homosexual undertones!!! I WILL NEVER LET MY CHILD EAT BURGER KING AGAIN. - and its that reaction that would be funny because they'd only be promoting the ad more.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:52 pm
benjy compson

some responses in this thread are vomit
inducing - not only are they long
& insubstantial, but the people
who pen them consistently assume
they're making actual points - post
by post, thread in & thread out - which
sags beneath the saddest sad conceivable
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:27 pm
futuristxen

benjy compson wrote:

Yeah well Merry Penis Christmas to you too, bub.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:29 pm
Bring that Beat Back

I think it sweet that "who pen them " is still used for some reason. I'll use that expression forever, despite never touching pens.

edit/ not that i have anything against touching pens.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:45 pm
futuristxen

benjy compson wrote:

I am curious though why you find the things I write so repulsive? You and the others who freak out about what I say--where is that coming from? We have many of the same interests, and are on the same side of so many issues--but yet there's this disconnect. Why do you think my posts are more bereft of content than any others? What makes them most especially vapid for you? I assume you're capable of offering up a more comprehensive critique on something that you have brought up more than a few times, at least enough times that I have remembered to associate you as some avatar of gross antipathy.

I'm not used to being despised. And am trying to understand where that perspective is coming from, to the extent that someone would join this forum just to post about how much they hate what I have to say. So obviously something I'm doing is going beyond just saying disagreeable things to people.

I'm not so controversial, I don't think.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:20 pm
Disharmony

benjy compson wrote:
Is this a poem?
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:23 am
redball

I've decided that Benjy's line breaks happen because he sends his posts by telegraph. It probably isn't true but it makes them more tolerable if I pretend it is.
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:51 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next