Search
Register
The Woman that was fined 220,000 for 24 song downloads...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

organize

The Woman that was fined 220,000 for 24 song downloads...  Reply with quote  

Got a retrial and got the shaft

-----------------------------

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/06/18/minnesota.music.download.fine/index.html

A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each (a total of $1.9 million, for 24 songs). Illegal downloads of musical files will cost a Minnesota woman $1.9 million, a jury has decided.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset's case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said. Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at the fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents.

"She plans to appeal, he said."

Cara Duckworth, a spokeswoman for the Recording Industry Association of America, said the association was "pleased that the jury agreed with the evidence and found the defendant liable."

"We appreciate the jury's service and that they take this as seriously as we do," she said.

Thomas-Rasset downloaded work by artists such as No Doubt, Linkin Park, Gloria Estefan and Sheryl Crow. This was the second trial for Thomas-Rasset. The judge ordered a retrial in 2007 after there was an error in the wording of jury instructions. The fines jumped considerably from the first trial, which granted just $220,000 to the recording companies.

------------------------

In my opinion that fine is outrageous. Just wondering what you all think
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:04 pm
Bob_ptmfus

Yeah it's ridiculous alright. I did read somewhere that RIAA doesn't plan on collecting all of that money though. Still, anything over like 50 for this is stupid.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Dr Sagacious

You should just have to buy the songs for your punishment. Maybe pay a ridiculous tax or something, then court costs. There's absolutely no reason she should be paying 1.9 million dollars for it. I doubt half of No Doubt made that much last year, so they can fuck all that nonsense.

I still think the chances of you getting caught illegally downloading shit is around the chances of you getting struck by lightning.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:21 pm
Alan Hague

Anybody who downloads anything by either Sheryl Crow or Linkin Park should be fined thousands of dollars, for that reason alone.

But I do agree that this is beyond absurd.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm
knowrites

Alan Hague wrote:
Anybody who downloads anything by either Sheryl Crow or Linkin Park should be fined thousands of dollars, for that reason alone.

But I do agree that this is beyond absurd.

this is true.
but fuck i love no doubt.
i'm just a girl!
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:38 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

No Doubt is worse than Sheryl Crow as far as I can tell.
By far.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:32 pm
desert penguin

they both have about 3-5 songs i can get down with.

and why is this any different than petty theft? she stole a total of $24 worth of "merch"
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:36 pm
futuristxen

No Diggity No Doubt.

How is a fine like this not cruel and unusual? Is ruining someone's life financially--does that fit the crime? She probably isn't going to make 1.9 million in her entire lifetime.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:38 pm
futuristxen

Am I wrong, or would she not have been better off just robbing a record store?
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:39 pm
metachronos

The reason she got nailed is because she destroyed evidence. She destroyed her hard drive that all her songs were on and claimed her son broke it. Then bought a new one to try to cover it up. She also copped to having only a cable modem connected to the pc in question so she couldn't pull the "unsecured router" defense. I heard she was also sharing over 1700 songs on Kazaa but they could only get her for 24.Her Kazza userID was the same name she used for everything else so it wasn't that smart of her.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:16 pm
redball

Depends on your outlook on life. So far I don't believe she has any criminal charges levied against her. Maybe we should organize some flash mob Sam Goody heists. 100 people walk into a store, start grabbing shit off the shelves and leave notes that say, "I could have downloaded this."
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:18 pm
Jesse

metachronos wrote:
The reason she got nailed is because she destroyed evidence. She destroyed her hard drive that all her songs were on and claimed her son broke it. Then bought a new one to try to cover it up. She also copped to having only a cable modem connected to the pc in question so she couldn't pull the "unsecured router" defense. I heard she was also sharing over 1700 songs on Kazaa but they could only get her for 24.Her Kazza userID was the same name she used for everything else so it wasn't that smart of her.
Good point, that totally justifies this outcome.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm
futuristxen

How do jury's arrive at sums like this? I'm surprised a jury wouldn't be more sympathetic to the individual versus the big giant corporation. We are a very malicious species.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 pm
desert penguin

yeah the fact that 12 average adults were put in a room and decided that this was a reasonable punishment is the most disheartening part.
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:37 am
Captiv8

Piracy schmiracy. Lock her in solitary confinement as part of a two week jail sentence with nothing but all the artists she mentioned pumping in through the soundsystem 24 hours a day, all day. Tell her that if she downloads anything illegally again she will have to do it all over again for a year. The need to download has been fixed. And charge her the 99 cents per song. Move on.

Last edited by Captiv8 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:58 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next