Search
Register
"SICK OF WASTING" CD, MP3 & linernotes!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

futuristxen

Jesse wrote:

I feel uncomfortably gothic for knowing that. Well, not so much for knowing that as for thinking Joy Division was dope.

You feel uncomfortable for thinking Joy Division is dope?

They're one of my all-time favorite bands. Who is making you feel uncomfortable for loving Joy Division?

They are not the Smiths or the Cure.
Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 pm
mancabbage

cant wait to dl this, it killing me.. bloody internet has gone down, at a mates at the moment. sods law i guess
Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:02 pm
Captiv8

futuristxen wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I feel uncomfortably gothic for knowing that. Well, not so much for knowing that as for thinking Joy Division was dope.

You feel uncomfortable for thinking Joy Division is dope?

They're one of my all-time favorite bands. Who is making you feel uncomfortable for loving Joy Division?

They are not the Smiths or the Cure.

Somebody at Hot Topic. Except they're like "Joy Division? That's too emo, even for me." *Swoops cobalt blue emo tuft back across forehead and places hands akimbo.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:13 am
futuristxen

I just think if you're ashamed to listen to one of the all-time great bands, with one of the all-time great frontmen...you're sketchy in my book, and not to be trusted.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 am
Captiv8

Too right. I'd wager you gauge people on a similar Modest Mouse scale.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:11 am
futuristxen

Captiv8 wrote:
Too right. I'd wager you gauge people on a similar Modest Mouse scale.

I'm more used to internalizing modest mouse disfavor. My friends in high school used to make fun of me for listening to them because of how Isaac Brock sounds.

Joy Division though...that's a new one. There's just certain things you accept as a music listener in terms of the pantheon of great music.

And the thing is, it's not even that he's not liking Joy Division. It's that he's ASHAMED to like Joy Division.

It's like apologizing for liking the Stooges or Skip James or Bob Dylan. Or Velvet Underground.

The vast majority of serious music listeners hold these bands in something like high regard.

Very bizarre!
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:21 am
Captiv8

Truly. C'mon Jesse. Let's see some resilience in your Joy Division love. Let the haters hate and get your somber dance on to spite 'em.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am
Travadone

I skimmed through the dl copy at the gym yesterday...

Couple things.

Doesn't feel like a "sick of..." Release.

It would have if it had more of the sfr clip of the week
Tracks added to it...

"Call me francois"
"High step"

Maybe a few more.

Nothing grabbed me off the first skim through...

"Wake up to a kitten in my face and that's not innudendo"

I like that.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 am
mancabbage

holly shit, i just got to the dog shit line. awesome.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:47 am
Jesse

Haha I was only joking about Joy Division! I unapologetically think they were something special (fuck New Order though). I just rib my girlfriend about being a goth (she isn't) when it comes to music like this, so maybe I just tried to bring an inside joke outside.

Maybe we should start another thread to talk about mopey old white people music so as not to derail this one about mopey old white people rap.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:31 am
bbreakz

Jesse wrote:
Haha I was only joking about Joy Division! I unapologetically think they were something special (fuck New Order though). I just rib my girlfriend about being a goth (she isn't) when it comes to music like this, so maybe I just tried to bring an inside joke outside.

Maybe we should start another thread to talk about mopey old white people music so as not to derail this one about mopey old white people rap.

I always liked New Order more. Mostly it is the dance element. But She's Lost Control, Dead Souls and Transmissions i love. When I watch old videos it seems like they were more punky live, which I like. But I love the Joy Divsion basslines.

Also Ceremony is one of my all time favorite songs. New Order put it on their first album when they were still trying to cling to the Joy Division sound. But Ian Curtis wrote it. I freaking love that song.

Anyway. Listened through all of Sick of and caught the riff pretty quickly in the headphones.

I know I am repeating everything everyone else said about the B Dolan rhymes on House Bees, but it gives me goose bumps with that beat. And what a great line to end that song.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:55 am
invisiblewindow

my favorites are:

Jaw of Steel
Needle
Pump
Sea Legs
House of Bees

i will be listening to those five a lot.
they could have made a damn fine ep.

i would order the ep as such:

1) needle
2) house of bees
3) pump
4) sea legs
5) jaw of steel
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 am
smake

Yeah, just received my copy of Sick Of Wasting.... Great cover and great to be able to put it in my cd collection. Thanks for making a disc version as well!

Favorite track of the moment: House of Bees!

Just one more tiny question about the shipping rates though. My shipping costs to Europe were around 10 dollars, and the envelope/postal stamp has a value of $3.12. Does anyone know what causes the difference. Don't want there to be a mix up.

Anyways, happy with the (signed!) cd, just great! And thanks for the free sticker!
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:45 am
phataccino

smake wrote:
Thanks for making a disc version as well!

I want to second this. I don't know how the finances work for something like this, but I assume you don't make much money, if any, by making this available on CD. For those of us in the dark ages who still like to have a hard copy and the actual disk/art to add to our collections, it's great to have that option.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:01 am
Bring that Beat Back

It's interesting to hear all the Inet and technology references on this: Twitter, Wikipedia, Facebook, Youtube etc.

Safe to say that technology itself has been the biggest change in the time span of sick of series. From tapes to CDs to free downloads and all the social media stuff.

When I first started posting on the forum, Sage would post links to photos and others would embed them. Now he's tweeting, blogging, running a bunch of social media sites for himself and label mates.

Prediction time for fun. At this point, the next logical technical progression is Sage mastering some audio software and starts producing SFR stuff. And my bet is it would be dope as fuck since I always love the beats he picks and he's a perfectionist x 10.

maybe just a wishful next step idea but we've already gotten glimpses of it...and i thought he said he's got a home studio now....
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next