Register
Iranian Elections Controversy
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

AdamBomb

Iranian Elections Controversy  Reply with quote  

Pssst. Conspiracy to Riot.

This is a New York Times news blog with updated information on this topic:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/13/landslide-or-fraud-the-debate-online-over-irans-election-results/?apage=5

What do you guys think? Rigged or not?
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:48 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Of course it is rigged.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:00 pm
O2K
SFF has a stalker.

operation ajax
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:01 pm
neveragainlikesheep

O2K wrote:
operation ajax

So the CIA is shutting down opposition newspapers and turning off the internet in Iran?

WHAT ABOUT THE TWITTERERS!? WILL SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE TWITTERERS!?

I don't think this is some CIA shit. If it is the blowback is going to cripple the US's image in the world permanently. Some argue that's already happened, but in light of the response to President Obama's speech in Cairo I'd argue otherwise.

I think the hardliners see the winds of change blowing in around the Arab world and fear that the Persian world is going to get wet too. They cracked down. Now it's just a matter of watching what happens. My heart goes out to those people in the streets fighting for their country. It makes me proud.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 pm
futuristxen

Of course this is the CIA...again.

Between this and the Pirates, for all the Republican talk about Obama being soft, he's a cold motherfucker.

Half expecting to hear about Kim Jong Il dying anytime soon.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:27 pm
Embryo

futuristxen wrote:

Between this and the Pirates, for all the Republican talk about Obama being soft, he's a cold motherfucker.

really? i guess the idea of the CIA never even crossed my mind. from all the information i've gotten i haven't seen anything to suggest this is anything other than the ruling regime orchestrating massive electoral fraud. i mean i'm open to the possibility that we're sticking our noses in there again, it's certainly precedented, but that idea just doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:58 pm
futuristxen

Embryo wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

really? i guess the idea of the CIA never even crossed my mind. from all the information i've gotten i haven't seen anything to suggest this is anything other than the ruling regime orchestrating massive electoral fraud. i mean i'm open to the possibility that we're sticking our noses in there again, it's certainly precedented, but that idea just doesn't make a lot of sense to me right now.

It could also be the massad or whatever, I suppose.

We'll see how it shakes out. There's quite a rich history, obviously, in this kind of thing, in specifically Iran.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:37 pm
metachronos

The CIA thing was a joke, I hope.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:37 pm
crusader
HALFLING

i don't know if anyone is really following this, but its kinda crazy. andrew sullivan's blog has been pretty amazing: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/

this one will please the twitter folk:

Quote:

13 Jun 2009 07:14 pm
The Revolution Will Be Twittered

Mock not. As the regime shut down other forms of communication, Twitter survived. With some remarkable results. Those rooftop chants that were becoming deafening in Tehran? A few hours ago, this concept of resistance was spread by a twitter message. Here's the Twitter from a Moussavi supporter:

ALL internet & mobile networks are cut. We ask everyone in Tehran to go onto their rooftops and shout ALAHO AKBAR in protest #IranElection

That a new information technology could be improvised for this purpose so swiftly is a sign of the times. It reveals in Iran what the Obama campaign revealed in the United States. You cannot stop people any longer. You cannot control them any longer. They can bypass your established media; they can broadcast to one another; they can organize as never before.

It's increasingly clear that Ahmadinejad and the old guard mullahs were caught off-guard by this technology and how it helped galvanize the opposition movement in the last few weeks. That's why they didn't see what those of us surgically attached to modems could spot a mile away: something was happening in Iran. If Drum is right, the mullahs believed their own propaganda about victory until reality hit them so hard so fast, they miscalculated badly and over-reached.

The key force behind this is the next generation, the Millennials, who elected Obama in America and may oust Ahmadinejad in Iran. They want freedom; they are sick of lies; they enjoy life and know hope.

This generation will determine if the world can avoid the apocalypse that will come if the fear-ridden establishments continue to dominate global politics, motivated by terror, armed with nukes, and playing old but now far too dangerous games. This generation will not bypass existing institutions and methods: look at the record turnout in Iran and the massive mobilization of the young and minority vote in the US. But they will use technology to displace old modes and orders. Maybe this revolt will be crushed. But even if it is, the genie has escaped this Islamist bottle.

Maybe that's what we're hearing on the rooftops of Tehran: the sound of the next revolution.

Allah O Akbar!
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:59 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Yeah.. It's clearly the CIA.. Give me a break.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:18 pm
futuristxen

Well let me put it this way then, it would not surprise me at all if the CIA was involved on some level.

And twitter once again showing itself as a force.

If they jammed the mobile networks and the internet though, how was twitter able to get through?
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:28 pm
futuristxen

What's incredible to me, and it shouldn't be, is that none of the major TV networks have any coverage on this. MSNBC is showing some sort of jail thing. Fox is yammering on about Gitmo, and CNN is talking about the holocaust shooter thing.

They don't even say much in the crawls at the bottom of the screen. Why wouldn't the US media be covering this like crazy?

Only place I can find anything is the internet.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:31 pm
neveragainlikesheep

futuristxen wrote:
What's incredible to me, and it shouldn't be, is that none of the major TV networks have any coverage on this. MSNBC is showing some sort of jail thing. Fox is yammering on about Gitmo, and CNN is talking about the holocaust shooter thing.

They don't even say much in the crawls at the bottom of the screen. Why wouldn't the US media be covering this like crazy?

Only place I can find anything is the internet.

Good question.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:35 pm
crusader
HALFLING

because its the weekend.
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:56 pm
Sarcastro

Embryo wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

I think people who honestly think the CIA is in on this are trying a little too hard. It seems pretty clear cut what's happening, let's just hope for few casualties before it's all said and done.

CTV News world was doing a good job covering it here in Canada, but then again the Canadian government is apparently much more concerned about this than the US.
Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next